Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (March 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

illini80

Forgottonia
.289 3pt%?
I have not seen him play, but his stats don’t appear to show a wing that can fill it up from outside. Did we recruit him out of HS? Rivals only shows him with offers from Valpo and Loyola.

.289 3pt%?
If BU feels that he can improve on that percentage like I think.GB will for example then i say take him but if not then i agree and would pass on him. Not too long ago our PGs could not shoot well from three and it killed our offense when JT and others were not closely guarded.
I don't think I'd take any wing that couldnt be a threat to score from range.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Mini-dive on Freeman: http://cdn.streamlinetechnologies.c...06-9D3E-0DD94421566A/2019_MBB_Stats_FINAL.pdf

Started every game and played a ton of minutes. Pretty good stats for a frosh (3 point percentage, not withstanding). Good athlete, great pedigree. Combo guard. Would step into Feliz's role nicely (obviously, there are differences). Plus, Williams will be a senior when Freeman's eligible. Doubt if he's a starter, but could be a good rotation guy. As others have noted, needs to work hard on his 3 point stroke. If staff's down with it, so am I.

Jamie Jaquez UCLA commit before Alford fires, was another player with Illini offer. Can’t find info if he is staying committed though. One article was expecting him to be there.

I think it’s important to take a PG/CG guy in this class. You probably lose two after next year, and even if you can count on getting a couple of guys like Miller or Burnett, having a guy who isn’t a freshman and knows the system is still a good idea.

Freeman might not be a big splash, but he could be important to maintaining the program as talent turns over.

I think it’s important to take a PG/CG guy in this class. You probably lose two after next year, and even if you can count on getting a couple of guys like Miller or Burnett, having a guy who isn’t a freshman and knows the system is still a good idea.

Freeman might not be a big splash, but he could be important to maintaining the program as talent turns over.
I agree that it is important to keep the pipe line filled. However, believe the system requires that everyone is capable of shooting. Do not know if he is capable of improving that percentage but it isn't satisfactory for where we want to go. If they decide to take him they will have made that decision and I not capable of second guessing them.

Deleted member 8632

D
Not sure where to post this but I just read Jontay Porter tore his ACL again. Tough break for the kid.

I agree that it is important to keep the pipe line filled. However, believe the system requires that everyone is capable of shooting. Do not know if he is capable of improving that percentage but it isn't satisfactory for where we want to go. If they decide to take him they will have made that decision and I not capable of second guessing them.
Feliz isn’t burning the nets but he’s been effective anyway. Hopefully Freeman can make a leap if he comes. Either way I think he can contribute.

Don't see them taking Freeman unless other people don't pan out saw him play and don't think he would ever be a starter at Illinois unless shot really improved. At best a rotation player I would think they would take their chances with a high school kid over him.

sacraig

The desert
UIHoopsRecruits Retweeted

·

1h
#Illini Bball rec. update - Just left a retirement party. Family friend from Calif. uspet with me I didn’t call his nephew 3-star ‘20 6’9” Coleman Hawkins has an ILL. offer, extremely interested. Dad & family originally from Chi., played overseas with former Illini Jens Kujawa.

I have absolutely no idea what this is actually saying because it is worded so awkwardly.

Also, FYI, you can directly embed tweets now.

Re: Freeman. It seems to me the team is sorely lacking in length, athleticism, and shooting. Not sure he answers the bell on any of them.

Was Valpo/the MVC so bad that we really wouldn't want a player who averaged 11ppg, 4.3rpg, and almost 2 steals per game as a freshman backing up Trent as a redshirt sophomore just because his three point percentage wasn't good?

Was Valpo/the MVC so bad that we really wouldn't want a player who averaged 11ppg, 4.3rpg, and almost 2 steals per game as a freshman backing up Trent as a redshirt sophomore just because his three point percentage wasn't good?
Similar to Mark Alstork.

Similar to Mark Alstork.
Alstork wasnt a PG. Our G must be at least 33% or better from 3. I hated when our PGs were not good enough shooter to be closely guarded under Groce. I do not want that again. Hopefully he can improve if BU wants him.

Status
Not open for further replies.