Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (March 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm, were you not a fan of Feliz contribution this year then?
Dre shot 42% from 3 pt the year before and was supposed to be a big upgrade over TJL in terms of shooting. He is the best at getting to the basket and an extremely tough defender so yes I am a fan but I was also a TJL fan. However, we need to upgrade our shooting to improve our record. Don't know if Freeman offers that but past record is a red flag as 3 pt% only seem to go down with this team.

Dre shot 42% from 3 pt the year before and was supposed to be a big upgrade over TJL in terms of shooting. He is the best at getting to the basket and an extremely tough defender so yes I am a fan but I was also a TJL fan. However, we need to upgrade our shooting to improve our record. Don't know if Freeman offers that but past record is a red flag as 3 pt% only seem to go down with this team.

TJL's problems were more off court.

Deleted member 746317

D
If Dre shot 42% in game situations in JC, then I think the question of whether he can be good shooter for us is an open one. Dre only attempted 37 three's this year, and I did wonder more than once why he didn't shoot it more. Of the 37 attempts made this year, I wonder how many were low-shot-clock affairs. I know I can say that I felt comfortable with Dre shooting the three when he did (and, again, would think each time, "why doesn't he shoot more often?). Answer for why he doesn't shoot it more often may be his height, taller D1 defenders and less ability (than, say, Trent) to create his own space for a three, but I tend to think Dre could be a reliable shooter outside if the ball found him open ...

As previously stated in my first post. I’m a student at Clemson, obviously a football school. But they brought in two great guards from the transfer market, fromRobert Morris and Vandy respectively, in Marquise Reed and Shelton Mitchell. Great shooters, ball handlers, and defenders. Wish Illinois could find these type of guys on the transfer market

Another side note throwing it a few years back. Elijah Thomas ended up at Clemson after the A&M debacle. I remember how badly we wanted him in that recruitment. Although he has been expectional in the post for Clemson, his foul troubles were equal to Giorgi’s. He was the only true 4/5 Clemson had this year. I’m saying this to point out, I don’t think Giorgi will have the same foul trouble next year with other bigs able to take up space and protect the rim. All the weight will not be on him. To finish this class I would love to see a grad transfer guard with good ball handling skills, and a grad transfer wing who can shoot the three and offer some viable defense at multiple positions.

Another side note throwing it a few years back. Elijah Thomas ended up at Clemson after the A&M debacle. I remember how badly we wanted him in that recruitment. Although he has been expectional in the post for Clemson, his foul troubles were equal to Giorgi’s. He was the only true 4/5 Clemson had this year. I’m saying this to point out, I don’t think Giorgi will have the same foul trouble next year with other bigs able to take up space and protect the rim. All the weight will not be on him. To finish this class I would love to see a grad transfer guard with good ball handling skills, and a grad transfer wing who can shoot the three and offer some viable defense at multiple positions.

We need at least one and maybe two power forwards before anything.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH

Remember that recruitment. Was the first time that social media was fully harnessed by a player to gain interest from twitter followers. Not sure I would say they had equal troubles. Elijah averaged 3.3 fouls/game, Giorgi averaged 3.8 fouls/game. Elijah fouled out of 4 games, Giorgi hit that mark before 2019 (finished with 10 foul outs). Giorgi will improve next year and would optimistically hope he replicate's ET's foul average.

sacraig

The desert
Remember that recruitment. Was the first time that social media was fully harnessed by a player to gain interest from twitter followers. Not sure I would say they had equal troubles. Elijah averaged 3.3 fouls/game, Giorgi averaged 3.8 fouls/game. Elijah fouled out of 4 games, Giorgi hit that mark before 2019 (finished with 10 foul outs). Giorgi will improve next year and would optimistically hope he replicate's ET's foul average.

Of course, Thomas is several years more experienced than Bezhanishvili, so...

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
If I misinterpreted the post to mean Elijah when he was young, my apologies. That's a little tough to compare because Elijah only played mop-up duty at A&M.

sacraig

The desert
If I misinterpreted the post to mean Elijah when he was young, my apologies. That's a little tough to compare because Elijah only played mop-up duty at A&M.

To be honest, I am not sure how to interpret the discussion since it amounts to saying "here is player A with one set of recruiting expectations and prep experience. Now let's compare him to player B with a very, very different skill set, experience, and expectation level based on these things who is, by the way, at a totally different point in his career." It's sort of a strange comparison.

Also, I am not sure why it's in the recruiting thread.

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
Well hopefully he is majoring in Broadcasting Communications, then he could graduate and cover the ACC with his own startup company........

ClemMedia Productions....sorry it's Monday long weekend...no not that kind, LOL. Could resist.

Probably use a lot of viral marketing.

Have to say, after watching clips of both, I like Antwan more than Kofi. Not as skilled at this point but quicker and more athletic. Guess I better not go in the rating business. Will be surprised if he doesn't contribute next year.

We need at least one and maybe two power forwards before anything.
I was just thinking in general I think this team needs size at every position. And I assumed we all thought a grad transfer power forward was no matter what needed so I stated throes two as add ons to what I presumed an obvious need. We need guys who can truly defend multiple positions, big bodies

Of course, Thomas is several years more experienced than Bezhanishvili, so...
This is what I was thinking, Bezhanishvili will be better. Point is who needed him? Our freshman big played better than a recruit we had some hard feelings over in the past, did as a senior. If we could’ve only got one, glad we got Giorgi!

Well hopefully he is majoring in Broadcasting Communications, then he could graduate and cover the ACC with his own startup company........

ClemMedia Productions....sorry it's Monday long weekend...no not that kind, LOL. Could resist.
Even I can find this funny, nice play on words. But alas the major is Business Analytics, would love to work in sports but business for now, maybe teach BU a few tweaks to his basketball analytics make it work a little better lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.