Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (March 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
9-college-basketball-experts-woody-and-buzz-march-madness-memes.png

Well got an update for ya guys and it's good. Player meeting started today and word is that Alan Griffin's dad was involved and has swayed him to stay and play thru it. This is huge for the recruitment of his brother and building some continuity. However there is a transfer supposedly still coming that might shock some people. I don't have a name but we should know something by the weekend or next week once player/coach meetings are finished.

Deleted member 746317

D
Well got an update for ya guys and it's good. Player meeting started today and word is that Alan Griffin's dad was involved and has swayed him to stay and play thru it. This is huge for the recruitment of his brother and building some continuity. However there is a transfer supposedly still coming that might shock some people. I don't have a name but we should know something by the weekend or next week once player/coach meetings are finished.
I sure hope this is true. If true, I'm encouraged by the thought that there are at least some somewhat self-aware, longer-term thinkers out there who don't expect immediate gratification (for themselves or their kids), don't have inflated sense of ability and are willing to put in the time (or see their kids put in the time) to get the results they want. I really appreciated comments made by AG's dad earlier this year to the press - I think that kind of input from NBA'er is really valuable.

Having said all that, I feel a little uncomfortable with direct public reference to possible intra-family power struggles. And, I'm most concerned about AG, our treatment of AG and building a rep for developing good players. Not so much concerned with AG's brother.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Lol at anybody that really believes AG...as a freshman....was going to get a bunch of minutes at any P5 program. Gmab. That tweet doesn't say anything except what it actually says. AG made the best of it. He improved. He's going to be a factor as a soph, if he decides to stay.

I know there’s some sarcasm here, so on a side note, when was the last time we had a grad transfer we were really happy with? Every season they start off with promise against bad teams, and by the end of the season, we’re wondering why the hell we aren’t playing Samba Kane over De Larosa. Something like this happens EVERY year.
Sam mclauren and Ekey were serviceable

Deleted member 643761

D
I know there’s some sarcasm here, so on a side note, when was the last time we had a grad transfer we were really happy with? Every season they start off with promise against bad teams, and by the end of the season, we’re wondering why the hell we aren’t playing Samba Kane over De Larosa. Something like this happens EVERY year.

They do have their moments.

Deleted member 29907

D
Sam mclauren and Ekey were serviceable
My concern with grad transfers is the complexity of our O and D and how quickly they can pick it up to be serviceable. This type of system seems to need a year or two of marinating the player. At the very least, a half season. We can't keep waiting until January for players to get it.

Transfer or two is probably going to happen that seems to be the new norm big thing is to not lose any of core guys. Also would be nice to get a 5th your transfer who can immediately play major minutes or start.

Deleted member 654622

D
tenor.gif

Deleted member 746317

D
My concern with grad transfers is the complexity of our O and D and how quickly they can pick it up to be serviceable. This type of system seems to need a year or two of marinating the player. At the very least, a half season. We can't keep waiting until January for players to get it.
Agree with VAIllini35 that any player new to the system needs time to marinate. Whether it's a grad transfer, a junior transfer (like Ray Rice) or a freshman coming from high school, there's always a learning curve. The problem with grad transfers (who, for the thread police out there, are "recruits" properly discussed in a recruiting thread) as compared to other recruits is the grad's probable one year shelf life. That said, I think the waiting 'til January to get it problem applies in any case where we need a new-to-us player to come in and start.

Added thoughts (hoping for discussion; not criticizing or aiming at VAIllini35 or anyone else):

• I think the programmatic problem highlighted by grad transfers is being under pressure to have to recruit immediate impact players. BU has said it's "foolish" not to hold spots for grad transfers. I thought BU's statement was true, if program is in position of being super young and the young are not one/done. Always happy to pick up new players (grad or otherwise) who could step on the court in their first game and be an impact ... but you sure don't want to be in position (which we are now re power forward or center / last year for both guards and bigs) to have to find one or more players to just be able to put a B1G-level starting 5 on the floor in 8 months.
  • Not sure BU's systems are necessarily harder to learn than any other P5 playing system. [Maybe they are, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to have an opinion.] I'm questioning because I don't think many P5 coaching staffs just "roll out the balls" and let the kids play, would guess that there's a similar-to-ours level of sophistication in other P5 coaching systems and don't think P5 systems in general match high school systems already learned by freshman recruits. Every freshman, junior/senior or grad recruit is going to have to learn a system (and teammates and coaches and schools and living environments) that are new/different to them. Just takes time.
  • If you have the problem of needing to recruit a new player to learn your system and then step on the floor 8 months later as a starter, then I'm thinking junior-senior-grad transfer might be a better gamble than 3-4 star freshman recruit. The truth is probably case-by-case, because transfer player might have some "unlearning" to do to be balanced against challenges freshmen face, but I'd guess that older players tend to adapt to a new college system faster than freshmen would.
  • If your problem is having to find a starter for next season, then that's the issue -- issue isn't that you are giving scholarship to a 1-year grad transfer over a freshman who might have an impact for more than 1 year of play.

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO
Really? Hand eye coordination is an athletic trait. You do realize that? He can't shoot Samba shoots 14% from the line, 14%! He never takes a jumper. Do you want a athletic stud or a basketball player? I'll take Georgi or Wesson. Odds are you preferred Greg Ebo to GB too. I am thankful your not our coach. Come on man!
That number could easily be 90% if only he would use the backboard.

Not if he is coming from a program that is considered a hostile environment.

Yeah well that doesn't exist. We didn't fight MS leaving and were right, look what happened at Mizzou this year....nada. MS would've been better off sitting a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.