Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (March 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you can't teach your system in 6 months to a 22 year old player who has been playing basketball for 4 years at the college level, 4 years at the high school level, and who knows how many years in AAU/youth league... either your system sucks or you are a bad coach.

I get your point, but learning a system and having it be natural to you I think are two different things. Signing Holyfield would make those concern go away completely since he's already played in our system.

If you can't teach your system in 6 months to a 22 year old player who has been playing basketball for 4 years at the college level, 4 years at the high school level, and who knows how many years in AAU/youth league... either your system sucks or you are a bad coach.

It is actually more complex than that. Coaches have different philosophies on how to defend a ball screen or how to rotate defensively or the movement within the motion of the offense or when to cut over or under a screen. It sounds like really simple stuff but when you have been taught and done things for 4 or more years and then you have to do it a different way, it takes time. Plus you have to learn all of the new terminologies for the playbook and calls for rotation/options defensively/offensively.

It sounds silly but until you have been in on a college team and had to make these type of adjustments, you simply can't understand the true complexity of it

Deleted member 29907

D
He seems the most likely guy to sign on and he's the one I want most due to your realistic concerns about learning the system. He's a seamless fit. Hopefully we get him.
This is true for this particular transfer. My main point is how this will work overall for a strategy year over year due to the complexity of the BU system.

It is actually more complex than that. Coaches have different philosophies on how to defend a ball screen or how to rotate defensively or the movement within the motion of the offense or when to cut over or under a screen. It sounds like really simple stuff but when you have been taught and done things for 4 or more years and then you have to do it a different way, it takes time. Plus you have to learn all of the new terminologies for the playbook and calls for rotation/options defensively/offensively.

It sounds silly but until you have been in on a college team and had to make these type of adjustments, you simply can't understand the true complexity of it

I agree with all of this and still side with the original poster. I could follow along heart surgery with six months prep let alone how to defend a ball screen.

Deleted member 643761

D
Yeah well that doesn't exist. We didn't fight MS leaving and were right, look what happened at Mizzou this year....nada. MS would've been better off sitting a year.

When Smith played, he played very well. I thought like you, but bottom line was he was an asset this year.

Deleted member 29907

D
I don't think this kid is significantly skinnier than Samba and he's got a better feel for the game. He can put the ball on the floor and drive it reasonably and seems to have good timing on his blocks.
Um, until he drives past the chairs I am not a believer.

Not all players learn at the same rate. Elite athletic ability doesn’t equal elite learning ability.

Deleted member 8313

D
Guys like Zion Williamson need to go elsewhere.

This has been one of the bigger excuses on this board for poor performance.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
(insert Jack Krap gif here)

259fi48.gif

ILL in IA

Iowa City
No worries. We really need Damonte to stay. I think he makes a big leap this year.
I would just like to see him have more of a defined role and own it. We are going to have some better scoring options on the floor with him at all times for the most part. I would love to see him become the energy effort guy AJ was this past year. Maybe a few more open looks fall with some confidence and energy.

Dbell1981

Decatur, IL
I thought he was going to make a big leap this year.
Me too. I think he gained even more confidence in his leg this year. I know if it were me I would be cautious for quite some time after a knee injury. I'm sure therapy and training helps but I know from experience that it takes ALOT of time to trust a previous injured body part to hold up to the stress of going 110% without mentally tapping the brakes. My experience was recovering from tendinitis, not even close to a torn ligament.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Why is it we are unable to wrap up such deals early in the process? Would like to get the 2020 wrapped up by this year end. Miller and the like.

Because the player/recruit isn't in a rush? Top tier grad transfers are going to take their time, at least until the elite programs have been eliminated from the tournament and have an idea what their roster is going to look like in 2020. Could be a situation where a Duke or Kansas makes an initial contact of "don't commit anywhere yet, we might make you an offer, give us a week or two".

Status
Not open for further replies.