Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (March 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This really is not a concern of mine. There were reports early this year that ADLR had a full grasp of the system super early and was almost like a coach before he got back from injury.
Knowing it and being able to do it are 2 different things.

Tevo

Wilmette, IL
In ADLR's case because he had no legs. But for any other grad transfer it really isn't a concern of mine.

Yeah, the having no legs thing can really hinder your effectiveness on the court, no matter how well you know the offense. I mean, it makes it hard just to get out of the huddle during timeouts.

Petty from Alabama is now entered in portal for transfer...would not mind waiting a year for that kind of player. He can flat out score and he hustles seemingly all the time. There are some other 3.5-4* players listed as well. Giddens is back in there with 1 year to play.

Petty from Alabama is now entered in portal for transfer...would not mind waiting a year for that kind of player. He can flat out score and he hustles seemingly all the time. There are some other 3.5-4* players listed as well. Giddens is back in there with 1 year to play.
Hustle and consistency is actually his biggest problem...similar to Kipper.

HC Illini

HC Illini
January for a big is a 4 moreso than a 5...he is very mobile, can handle the ball and is athletic enough to cover alot of ground. Guarantee he is being sold more in that role than a traditional 5. This allows Kofi to handle down low with Giorgi as well, which we all know is his bread and butter.

I wouldn’t plan on January being around next year.

I wouldn’t plan on January being around next year.

Based on what information? I live in Phoenix, and I have surmised and suggested since the verbal that the reason he was not playing was simply for grade work to be able to get in....not an insider, but rumored here. Turns out that was correct, as the ILLINI already knew what he could bring to the table on the court....just had to get him actually ON the court and in school. I fully expect him to be able to get into school and contribute in a big way next year for us.

Based on what information? I live in Phoenix, and I have surmised and suggested since the verbal that the reason he was not playing was simply for grade work to be able to get in....not an insider, but rumored here. Turns out that was correct, as the ILLINI already knew what he could bring to the table on the court....just had to get him actually ON the court and in school. I fully expect him to be able to get into school and contribute in a big way next year for us.

Not sure Hillcrest Academy/Starshine Academy is in excellent academic standing from an NCAA accreditation standpoint. You are out there maybe you can check it out. I heard the Phoenix Illini Alumni group has had a handful of attempts to go see Antwan play and follow with a meet and greet without any success.
My guess is he will make it via the legal route. The NCAA is a marketing organization and not one for enforcement, thus they rollover very easily.

jmilt7

Waukegan
I perused the last two days of posts here and didn't see this, but if it has been already posted, sorry. Jason Jitoboh committed to Florida yesterday. If I remember correctly, he was at one time scheduled or considering a visit to Illinois but something happened and it didn't materialize. I think both he and Tre Mitchell were rumored to be considering a visit. I also remember an article in some sports recruiting publication that said Jitoboh was becoming a "must" get for Illinois. How times change.

I perused the last two days of posts here and didn't see this, but if it has been already posted, sorry. Jason Jitoboh committed to Florida yesterday. If I remember correctly, he was at one time scheduled or considering a visit to Illinois but something happened and it didn't materialize. I think both he and Tre Mitchell were rumored to be considering a visit. I also remember an article in some sports recruiting publication that said Jitoboh was becoming a "must" get for Illinois. How times change.
Smaller than Kofi and a worse athlete.

sacraig

The desert

We were recruiting him at one point but it never seemed to be all that serious. Maybe he was sort of a backup option in case Cockburn didn't commit or something. Maybe he didn't reciprocate. Who knows?

Either way, we’re not going to have a huge hole at the 4. As of right now, our 5’s will be January, Kane, and Cockburn. That is awesome—especially since we’ve been so depleted at the position. At the 4 you are looking at Georgi with backups of Tevian Jones and Allan Griffin. They will be destined to play the 4 in certain situations regardless.
Agree with view that Cockburn is only good for 20 mins as I believe he will have the most foul problems but see Kane as more of a four than a five. He appeared to be more of a face up player and in his brief appearances he did make a 15' jump shot and take the ball to the basket. January has a lot more bulk to defend against a center. Most of us are shooting in the dark about both Kane and January as we have not seen either practice or play enough to have real knowledge. Do not see Griffin playing there but maybe Kipper for 10 mins per game. If we assume Giorgi for 30, Kofi for 20, Kipper for 10, we still have 20 left. Big hole unless Antwan or Samba is ready and transfer makes a lot of sense.

CoalCity

St Paul, MN
Jeff Goodman just announced on his Twitter that he's staying at Bama

That's two recent posts with that view. Has January soured on us or is it an eligibility issue???
Eligibility issue since he committed. All about expectations. Don’t expect him to be here next year, then if he is - great!! If not, met expectations. And by here, I mean ill loyalty.

whatahack

St. Peters MO
Eligibility issue since he committed. All about expectations. Don’t expect him to be here next year, then if he is - great!! If not, met expectations. And by here, I mean ill loyalty.

Thanks....I know it is all speculation, but is the JC route a possibility and join the Illini later?

A3D2332C-4A34-40E6-8EDD-8E3A1F5EA00F.png

Looks like AG is staying?

Status
Not open for further replies.