Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (March 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serious Late

Peoria via Denver via Ann Arbor via Albuquerque vi
They aren't forced...they chose to go to college man. College is supposed to be about education. Most of these guys won't make the pros. What do they have when their eligibility is up? Someone needs to start minor league football and basketball leagues. Those that don't want to learn wouldn't have to. They will be poorer for it. Lots of places you can't even coach high school without degree
I am not saying they are forced to go to college. I am saying they are forced to double major in college.

How exactly are we defining borderline here? If these "borderline kids" were non-athletes and their chances for admission to U of I were 0%, i don't think we can use the word borderline. Plenty of borderline students are admitted every year, and no one frets about them "threatening the integrity of the school." If we need assurances that admitting these three or four students isn't going to threaten the academic integrity of the school as a whole, then they kinda sound well below the borderline to me.

This isn't strictly true. As long as the NBA won't allow 18 year olds into the league fresh out of high school, these kids are forced to look at other options. College ball is a lot better vetted than international leagues to date. That might change in the future, but for now they are herded into college whether they want a degree or not.

Now, I agree with you on the benefits of a degree and the fact that they get to have one without needing to pay for it is amazing. But that's a different discussion.
Agree..need to change the NBA rule but that only impacts 5 to 10 per year.

IlliniKat91

Chicago, IL
Agree..need to change the NBA rule but that only impacts 5 to 10 per year.

We know that and coaches know that. Most of these kids are convinced they're going to the league.

Working in a high school, I see it from their side. There are a few who know that sports pays for college and a degree, but the majority of them are convinced they'll play professionally in their sport. Not just the minors but big time. I spend a lot of time explaining to them that so few people actually make it, but even looking the facts in the face they think they'll be part of the 1% that will.

Given that mindset, do they think they have a choice? I'd say that's up for debate.

Regional championship night for 3A/4A and sectional championship night for 1A/2A. I miss the days we would get recaps from the games from posters around the state. I suppose it's partly because because BU and staff are doing such a great job of bringing in great recruits not from Illinois. I don't know. Or maybe just not as much interest in high school hoops as 10-20ish years ago. I'm headed to Elgin tonight to watch the third game between St. Charles East and St. Charles North. North has a 6-9 kid going to Bradley. Anyone else looking forward to some good high school games tonight and where at -

Regional championship night for 3A/4A and sectional championship night for 1A/2A. I miss the days we would get recaps from the games from posters around the state. I suppose it's partly because because BU and staff are doing such a great job of bringing in great recruits not from Illinois. I don't know. Or maybe just not as much interest in high school hoops as 10-20ish years ago. I'm headed to Elgin tonight to watch the third game between St. Charles East and St. Charles North. North has a 6-9 kid going to Bradley. Anyone else looking forward to some good high school games tonight and where at -
1A sectional Central A&M vs Effingham St. Anthony at Casey-Westfield should be a good one tonight.

1A sectional Central A&M vs Effingham St. Anthony at Casey-Westfield should be a good one tonight.
Does Casey still play in the gym with the wooden permanent stands? Had an epic game there for the conference title back in the day. Every time I go back home someone brings up that game when we beat Charleston's supposedly best team in 25 years. We were short and couldn't jump very high but made up for it by being deceptively slow. Rex Morgan played on that team...they had us by about 4 inches per man but we out-rebounded them and won 72-62....later by 25 at home. Fans could make a deafening racket at Casey by stomping on the wooden deck.

Illinois spent $809,143 on college basketball recruiting in 2019, second-highest in the country (Kentucky spent over $1 million). Illinois basketball also spent more on recruiting than Illinois football.
Are we surprised? You get what you pay for.

Status
Not open for further replies.