Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (March 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So do we still have an open scholarship for Bernard Kouma??:)
Averaged 9.1 mins and 4.3 pts at South Plains College. Not sure about competition or team but doesn’t sound impressive.

I absolutely love how Brad and this staff gets after it on the recruiting trail! After years of frustrating moments in not getting the big time players we needed. They certainly are making up for the past. I’d take Kofi over Cliff Alexander and Khalil okafor any day. Even when in state talent isnt what it once was, they still evolved and got guys from out of state and different avenues. I’ve never had more confidence in a entire Illini staff. Recruiting wise I KNOW they can get it done and evaluate players (regardless of rankings as well).

I absolutely love how Brad and this staff gets after it on the recruiting trail! After years of frustrating moments in not getting the big time players we needed. They certainly are making up for the past. I’d take Kofi over Cliff Alexander and Khalil okafor any day. Even when in state talent isnt what it once was, they still evolved and got guys from out of state and different avenues. I’ve never had more confidence in a entire Illini staff. Recruiting wise I KNOW they can get it done and evaluate players (regardless of rankings as well).

Love Kofi, however:

Kofi > Clifford but < Okafor

Wouldnt let Okafor’s bust of an nba career sully how great of a high school/college player he was. His inside game just didnt translate to the nba....along with some work ethic issues.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Well, imagine how many pancakes Kofi might have eaten on his offical visit.

giphy.gif

Illinois spent $809,143 on college basketball recruiting in 2019, second-highest in the country (Kentucky spent over $1 million). Illinois basketball also spent more on recruiting than Illinois football.

Athletic Director U Link
When your Coach just signed for about $4 million and the assistants are paid well then i dont think spending $1 million on expenses to get the players that actually play to come here is really a a good value!

Last edited:
Turning it back a couple pages, but for the people here complaining about letting borderline kids in, are any of you willing to give back the 04-05 season? I have a family member (non-athlete) who was admitted to UI through the bridge program, along with Dee Brown and Deron Williams.

Love Kofi, however:

Kofi > Clifford but < Okafor

Wouldnt let Okafor’s bust of an nba career sully how great of a high school/college player he was. His inside game just didnt translate to the nba....along with some work ethic issues.
Yeah no doubt he was awesome! Saw him first hand even from the Rosemont days. I just commend Kofi for seeing the value in himself. Being a new addition coming to Illinois. I always felt in the past our rosters were one big man or one guard away from being elite. He could have made an easy decision and go to the blue bloods. But he had the courage that even homegrown Illinois players haven’t had in recent past. He helped turn last years team into what it is now. I couldn’t be happier in the direction where this program is trending so hopefully in the coming years we can get a kid like AJ Casey, Christie, even Patrick Baldwin Jr is from Illinois though his Dad was a coach at Northwestern. I don’t think we’ll have to be spending as much $ on recruitment traveling. I think more kids are going to be very interested in the Illini, that are from the big ten country soon enough!

Last edited:
And okafor in the NBA like Jabari has plenty of offense. But hustle on defense or lack thereof were his issues. Okafor also had maturity/work ethic problems at the start of his NBA career.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.