Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (March 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Ayo thinks he could stay and year and play his way into the first round and if he is not likely to be drafted this year. It seems to make sense to return. I realize the risk of injury and other factors. Id listen the the NBAs feedback and make a decision based one that. HE certainly appears to be having a lot of fun too as an Illini. I want him to do what is best for him and his family. The signs unless the feedback changes to me would seem that returning another year would make sense.
I also would hope that this would not impact any current recruits decision in a negative manor. I think playing on a great team and aside Ayo and others would be a good thing. There will be plenty of playing time for Miller if he plays as advertised.

Dren1

Glenview, IL
It was mentioned a bit ago (I think by Indy Illini) that Jordan Nesbitt was planning on visiting but did not have an offer yet. It looks like he received an offer yesterday.

https://247sports.com/Article/Illinois-Fighting-Illini-offer-three-star-St-Louis-Christian-Academy-class-of-2021-forward-Jordan-Nesbitt-144860792/

He sounds like the type of player BU (and honestly probably many a coach) looks for:

Nesbitt is long and athletic with a lot of game off the dribble for his size. He’s a gifted scorer with an ability to make tough shots. He can go to the rim and finish. He can hit jumpers from the midrange or beyond the arc. And he doesn’t back down from anyone.

This.

Everyone I have talked with in the NBA ranks tells me that they all doubt he even gets drafted at this point. Why would you go decide to go pro when you have said from day 1 that you don't just want to get to the league but you want to stick in it? It makes little sense to do that.

If he goes then good for him, but selfishly the last thing I want to see is for him to go and then not get drafted. That is a bad look for us.

Ayo stays, the only downside is the risk of an injury, the upside is that he will be on a national stage every single night with a pretty solid chance to advance pretty far in the tourney, being a 1 or 2 seed would not be out of reach.

Now that would sell some recruits. :shield:

Another year would only help raise his stock, just as it did this year. When he goes through pre-draft stuff he will get the feedback I got and we will see what he does with it.

No matter what he decides, I hope he has success, he is the kid that took the risk and put Illini basketball back on the map.

Always as usual a voice of reason. Thanks!!

Ayo and Miller could be a lethal combo, imo. Feliz had no problems getting his this year, he was the man.
They have already won a state championship together so why not some more? However, I'll believe it when I see it but Indy seems to be hearing its a "non zero" chance so fingers crossed. However, I'd love Ayo to ball out get us to a Sweet 16 and sneak into the first round. This years drafted is considered much weaker than next years so it might force his hand either way.

This.

Everyone I have talked with in the NBA ranks tells me that they all doubt he even gets drafted at this point. Why would you go decide to go pro when you have said from day 1 that you don't just want to get to the league but you want to stick in it? It makes little sense to do that.

If he goes then good for him, but selfishly the last thing I want to see is for him to go and then not get drafted. That is a bad look for us.

Ayo stays, the only downside is the risk of an injury, the upside is that he will be on a national stage every single night with a pretty solid chance to advance pretty far in the tourney, being a 1 or 2 seed would not be out of reach.

Now that would sell some recruits. :shield:

Another year would only help raise his stock, just as it did this year. When he goes through pre-draft stuff he will get the feedback I got and we will see what he does with it.

No matter what he decides, I hope he has success, he is the kid that took the risk and put Illini basketball back on the map.
No guarantees in life. It seems as though in many cases, the longer you stay in college the more you are devalued - wasn't Ayo projected to have been picked last year late first round/early second round if he had come out? Another year of exposure in college won't help him; the scouts already know who he is. If he's serious about playing in the NBA, the best thing for him to do is come out and play professionally next year, regardless of whether it is in the NBA. That way he can focus 100% on his game and play against better players every day in practice. No brainer.

Not a big NBA fan, so no great insight. But Ayo seems slight of build to me. When you look at the players in the NBA, they are men. Ayo is still relatively young. I think the gain in physical maturation by staying another year would be worthwhile.

Ok, let's say he stays, what more does he need to prove to get a solid draft slot next year:
1) exposure on a national stage (not sure that's always needed as many players get drafted from schools that are not shown on any national broadcast...plus he is on national TV often..)
2) handles? But does that really increase his draft stock because you are never going to have him play the point in the NBA
3) athleticism/quickness - he is definitely in need of some of this. But athletics is a dime a dozen. He probably has some.work to do if he wants to stay in front of a harden or westbrook...this is something I could see that he might improve on,.but ayo has always been a below.the rim athlete. Not going to jump out of the gym.
4) 3 pt shooting...ok. might help. But he has proven that he can shoot it and would just need time to grow into that more consistently. Not a detraction and keeping him from being drafted.

Anything else? It's tough to see him improving his stock any more than he has already. I hope.teams value his mentality, hard work, toughness, clutchness, and ability to finish around the rim.and lead a team. I really hope a smart scout will see this and he ends up.in the NBA.

It'll be interesting to see if Ayo falls into the category of players that "kill it" in college (Frank Williams, Mateen Cleaves, Dee Brown...) but struggle to translate that to a full NBA career.

For the record, I'm hoping for success in the NBA.

Ok, let's say he stays, what more does he need to prove to get a solid draft slot next year:
1) exposure on a national stage (not sure that's always needed as many players get drafted from schools that are not shown on any national broadcast...plus he is on national TV often..)
2) handles? But does that really increase his draft stock because you are never going to have him play the point in the NBA
3) athleticism/quickness - he is definitely in need of some of this. But athletics is a dime a dozen. He probably has some.work to do if he wants to stay in front of a harden or westbrook...this is something I could see that he might improve on,.but ayo has always been a below.the rim athlete. Not going to jump out of the gym.
4) 3 pt shooting...ok. might help. But he has proven that he can shoot it and would just need time to grow into that more consistently. Not a detraction and keeping him from being drafted.

Anything else? It's tough to see him improving his stock any more than he has already. I hope.teams value his mentality, hard work, toughness, clutchness, and ability to finish around the rim.and lead a team. I really hope a smart scout will see this and he ends up.in the NBA.
Ball handling Ball handling repeat repeat repeat

Saw this on a story about all of the cancelled events

The Big Ten announced a “a moratorium on all on- and off-campus recruiting activities for the foreseeable future.”

kiwanegarris22

South Carolina
If Ayo thinks he could stay and year and play his way into the first round and if he is not likely to be drafted this year. It seems to make sense to return. I realize the risk of injury and other factors. Id listen the the NBAs feedback and make a decision based one that. HE certainly appears to be having a lot of fun too as an Illini. I want him to do what is best for him and his family. The signs unless the feedback changes to me would seem that returning another year would make sense.
I also would hope that this would not impact any current recruits decision in a negative manor. I think playing on a great team and aside Ayo and others would be a good thing. There will be plenty of playing time for Miller if he plays as advertised.
Risk of Injury: I think that's where Lloyd's of London comes in.

kiwanegarris22

South Carolina

I think Ayo has opportunity on 3 of your 4 points:
1. Exposure: Pre-season POY in Big 10. Illini in Top 15 all season; double the TV exposure of this season.
2. Handles: Does not yet have point guard ball handling skills. Weak left hand.
3. Athleticism/quickness: Currently his greatest attribute.
4. Does not have NBA 3 point skills. I would think he needs to get his shooting to at least 36% here. 40% might be approaching very good.

DB11Headband

Chicago Burbs
Guys. Ayo will not be back. I wish he would return as much as anyone, but we’ve seen his last game in an Illini uniform.

I've always wondered how much those premiums run.
Working in large commercial underwriting, the premiums aren't that bad because there's one hangup on the policy that keeps MOST from filing a claim. Let's say the school purchases a 5M policy for him and he gets injured. He can only collect on it if he NEVER plays organized basketball (professionally) again.

The policy isn't meant to bridge the gap between college and when he gets his first pro paycheck or make up a difference between what he would have gotten pre injury. It's a cat (catastrophic) policy that protects against complete and total loss of lifetime income due to injury. They put it on what's called a claims made form. So, it could be effective 5/1/20 to 5/1/21. Any claim has to be reported within that time frame. He can't fall and get injured, then file a claim 3 months after it expires vs an occurrence form, which gives "x" amount of days to gives notice of occurrence before the investigation begins.

The terms and conditions on this policy are extremely tight, with the main one being a total and complete loss of income. Once it gets paid, sneakers have to get hung up for good. Most players won't put a claim in for a knee injury. Now, if they get paralyzed or have an injury that causes nerve damage(or whatever symptoms) that preclude a person from playing....that's where the benefit kicks in. So, there is value.

Status
Not open for further replies.