Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (March 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 182960

D
Doesn’t BBV fit the mold of the 6’9 guy that can shoot and rebound?

Working in large commercial underwriting, the premiums aren't that bad because there's one hangup on the policy that keeps MOST from filing a claim. Let's say the school purchases a 5M policy for him and he gets injured. He can only collect on it if he NEVER plays organized basketball (professionally) again.

The policy isn't meant to bridge the gap between college and when he gets his first pro paycheck or make up a difference between what he would have gotten pre injury. It's a cat (catastrophic) policy that protects against complete and total loss of lifetime income due to injury. They put it on what's called a claims made form. So, it could be effective 5/1/20 to 5/1/21. Any claim has to be reported within that time frame. He can't fall and get injured, then file a claim 3 months after it expires vs an occurrence form, which gives "x" amount of days to gives notice of occurrence before the investigation begins.

The terms and conditions on this policy are extremely tight, with the main one being a total and complete loss of income. Once it gets paid, sneakers have to get hung up for good. Most players won't put a claim in for a knee injury. Now, if they get paralyzed or have an injury that causes nerve damage(or whatever symptoms) that preclude a person from playing....that's where the benefit kicks in. So, there is value.

If any of you remember Anthony Kim the golfer from 10 years ago. He quit competitive golf due to injury to cash in on his policy.

Anthony Kim - Golfer

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
What if the NCAA grants seniors another year of eligibility? There's guaranteed lawsuits coming. Extra schollies? Pick and choose?

100% take Feliz back. Kipper wouldn't see the floor much....the others would be great for scout team/practice.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
What if the NCAA grants seniors another year of eligibility? There's guaranteed lawsuits coming. Extra schollies? Pick and choose?

The return of Lazerus! lol

I think everyone in their right mind would take Feliz. But we have sooo many guards, Feliz would probably best be served by playing professionally.

The return of Lazerus! lol

I think everyone in their right mind would take Feliz. But we have sooo many guards, Feliz would probably best be served by playing professionally.
Honestly, if they allow players an extra year, there are a lot of things to look at. Do they give every team 3 extra scholarships? Do they allow all outgoing seniors to return as an "extra scholarship"? My guess is they just move on and say "sorry."

Honestly, if they allow players an extra year, there are a lot of things to look at. Do they give every team 3 extra scholarships? Do they allow all outgoing seniors to return as an "extra scholarship"? My guess is they just move on and say "sorry."
I believe the popular proposal would be allowing a one time exception to go over the allotted scholarship limit to allow any senior along with any committed recruit to join or remain on the team. If this were the case it would be interesting to see if we would be able to retain Kipper or Feliz and still sign Adam Miller.
My inclination is to believe that we have, unfortunately, seen those guys in Illini Orange and Blue for the last time.

illiniCA

DC Area

There is no way they let seniors play another year. It unfortunate but it is what it is

I believe the popular proposal would be allowing a one time exception to go over the allotted scholarship limit to allow any senior along with any committed recruit to join or remain on the team. If this were the case it would be interesting to see if we would be able to retain Kipper or Feliz and still sign Adam Miller.
My inclination is to believe that we have, unfortunately, seen those guys in Illini Orange and Blue for the last time.
This wouldn't be a great situation for us. We have an unsigned commit. So if Miller had signed earlier, we'd get an extra scholarship.

illini80

Forgottonia
I am not saying he's going pro, I am not saying he is returning. He is going to get feedback and evaluate and then decide. Both options are open.

The staff is preparing as if he will be gone, I can say that.
Certainly wasn’t trying to call you or anyone out. My apologies if it seemed that way.

illini80

Forgottonia
There is no way they let seniors play another year. It unfortunate but it is what it is
That’s my guess too since it would essentially take away a year from many incoming freshman. Most of whom also missed their own state tournaments.

Sure there is. Grant every guy in his last year of eligibility another year and allow rosters to expand for that year by the number of guys granted an exemption for the COVID-19 mess. Problem solved, fairness granted.

illiniCA

DC Area
Sure there is. Grant every guy in his last year of eligibility another year and allow rosters to expand for that year by the number of guys granted an exemption for the COVID-19 mess. Problem solved, fairness granted.

They will do it for spring sports but they played a wholeness season. I dont believe they will do anything for b-ball

Guys as for Ayo. 99% He won’t be back whether drafted or not. That decision was made long before the season. There are several NBA organizations that love him and every organization thinks they can teach guys to shoot and that’s his biggest knock. They also like that he will be able to add weight and strength and his transition game.

I don't doubt what you are hearing/have heard, but I have to ask because I really don't understand.

If organizations love him how does that not get picked up by any of the guys doing mock drafts?

I don't doubt what you are hearing/have heard, but I have to ask because I really don't understand.

If organizations love him how does that not get picked up by any of the guys doing mock drafts?
A shot in the dark is they love him And his potential but see him as a fringe roster guy/non drafted free agent.

Status
Not open for further replies.