Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (March 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we at least let Ayo work out for a few NBA teams plus have a couple of days at the Chicago pre draft camp before we make all these hot takes. Lots of twists and turns ahead for the Ayo family.

Sure there is. Grant every guy in his last year of eligibility another year and allow rosters to expand for that year by the number of guys granted an exemption for the COVID-19 mess. Problem solved, fairness granted.
I don't think there is anyway they do this especially since alot of the bball teams already finished their year

TMC999

Not Iowa
Guys as for Ayo. 99% He won’t be back whether drafted or not. That decision was made long before the season. There are several NBA organizations that love him and every organization thinks they can teach guys to shoot and that’s his biggest knock. They also like that he will be able to add weight and strength and his transition game.
I love your insight but that avatar...

Working in large commercial underwriting, the premiums aren't that bad because there's one hangup on the policy that keeps MOST from filing a claim. Let's say the school purchases a 5M policy for him and he gets injured. He can only collect on it if he NEVER plays organized basketball (professionally) again.

The policy isn't meant to bridge the gap between college and when he gets his first pro paycheck or make up a difference between what he would have gotten pre injury. It's a cat (catastrophic) policy that protects against complete and total loss of lifetime income due to injury. They put it on what's called a claims made form. So, it could be effective 5/1/20 to 5/1/21. Any claim has to be reported within that time frame. He can't fall and get injured, then file a claim 3 months after it expires vs an occurrence form, which gives "x" amount of days to gives notice of occurrence before the investigation begins.

The terms and conditions on this policy are extremely tight, with the main one being a total and complete loss of income. Once it gets paid, sneakers have to get hung up for good. Most players won't put a claim in for a knee injury. Now, if they get paralyzed or have an injury that causes nerve damage(or whatever symptoms) that preclude a person from playing....that's where the benefit kicks in. So, there is value.
Thank you for explaining that in detail. Very informative.

Is there any seasonality to the transfer portal?
Is it always open or are there specific times?

Working in large commercial underwriting, the premiums aren't that bad because there's one hangup on the policy that keeps MOST from filing a claim. Let's say the school purchases a 5M policy for him and he gets injured. He can only collect on it if he NEVER plays organized basketball (professionally) again.

The policy isn't meant to bridge the gap between college and when he gets his first pro paycheck or make up a difference between what he would have gotten pre injury. It's a cat (catastrophic) policy that protects against complete and total loss of lifetime income due to injury. They put it on what's called a claims made form. So, it could be effective 5/1/20 to 5/1/21. Any claim has to be reported within that time frame. He can't fall and get injured, then file a claim 3 months after it expires vs an occurrence form, which gives "x" amount of days to gives notice of occurrence before the investigation begins.

The terms and conditions on this policy are extremely tight, with the main one being a total and complete loss of income. Once it gets paid, sneakers have to get hung up for good. Most players won't put a claim in for a knee injury. Now, if they get paralyzed or have an injury that causes nerve damage(or whatever symptoms) that preclude a person from playing....that's where the benefit kicks in. So, there is value.

IIRC, Lance Armstrong was getting income from a sports policy after his testicular cancer diagnosis, but came back to cycling despite losing that income stream forever. I would guess that the income was monthly, and he was able to take it indefinitely, provided he stayed out of the sport. As they say, the rest is history...or infamy, depending on how you viewed his comeback and subsequent doping scandals.

Ayo may not return next year, but "argumentum ad populum" is a logical fallacy for a reason.

He's not constructing an argument on it, he's simply repeating the wisdom of the herd, which is well known to be much better than a single source.

The reason I think Ayo is gone is not necessarily that he's a first rounder, but that the knock on him (3 pt shooting) is unlikely to improve much if he stays. Not saying he can't or won't, just that it's generally not the case that players make major leaps in shooting efficiency.

I don't doubt what you are hearing/have heard, but I have to ask because I really don't understand.

If organizations love him how does that not get picked up by any of the guys doing mock drafts?
They don’t utter his name so they can hopefully pick him up on the second or sign him as an undrafted free agent.
Could also be a team who doesn’t have a pick saying “we have a roster spot for you”

Any chance to have a seperate Transfer Portal Thread...it is recruiting, but this years portal is already getting huge?

Transfer Portal has no shortage of names to choose from if we take a immediate player for one year...Big? Not much else to discuss why not offer up some conjecture and find something about basketball to discuss?

http://www.verbalcommits.com/transfers/2020

A name that caught my attention and he has skills is Shandon "Biggie" Goldman...Northern Iowa. A 6-10" Big with skill set? 1 year player to help at the 4/5 next year?

Any chance to have a seperate Transfer Portal Thread...it is recruiting, but this years portal is already getting huge?

Transfer Portal has no shortage of names to choose from if we take a immediate player for one year...Big? Not much else to discuss why not offer up some conjecture and find something about basketball to discuss?

A name that caught my attention and he has skills is Shandon "Biggie" Goldman...Northern Iowa. A 6-10" Big with skill set? 1 year player to help at the 4/5 next year?
A lot of big men available but have no idea if they would be better than those we have. BBV, Jermaine, and Hawkins are all guys with possibilities but no playing experience. Two have, however, been attending practices and should know the system. Doubt we will have much of an idea until fall.

Goldman has been around the block a couple of times. We'd be his fourth school, I believe.

With nothing else to talk about, I was just looking at the scholarship grid and noticed that we are getting low on walk-ons. More out of curiosity, how do we plan to fill those spots? Hold a University wide tryout? That happened I think in the 90's at one point ('96? '97?). I'm more thinking about having enough to fill in a scout team or to have a possible special reserve like we had with Mike LaTulip who we would all agree added good value. Anyways I'm verklempt...talk amongst youi-selves!

He had a decent season too, 15.5 PPG. Only 37% shooting percentage however
Odd decision to transfer. Not surprising, considering his past ...quick commit, then change again. But odd since he redshirted already and will likely lose a season of eligibility.

With nothing else to talk about, I was just looking at the scholarship grid and noticed that we are getting low on walk-ons. More out of curiosity, how do we plan to fill those spots? Hold a University wide tryout? That happened I think in the 90's at one point ('96? '97?). I'm more thinking about having enough to fill in a scout team or to have a possible special reserve like we had with Mike LaTulip who we would all agree added good value. Anyways I'm verklempt...talk amongst youi-selves!
Back in the Weber years, we rarely had more than 1 walk on that made it onto the roster. I'm not sure if they just use managers (who are typically solid basketball players themselves) or what. I know there are always people who were recruited to play at a lower level who choose to go to U of I for their schooling instead of worrying with basketball...so someone like that may be a practice squad/scout team recruit too without "making the roster"

Talk is that rule will pass and he wouldn't lose a year...at least on this transfer. We're kind of full up at his spot.

This is a real convenient time to begin to allow transfers without a sit out year going forward. Blame it on the virus and that it’s necessary for fairness, say you’ll re-examine after this year, and then allow it for the rest of time.

But they’re the ncaa so they’ll mess it up somehow.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
This is a real convenient time to begin to allow transfers without a sit out year going forward. Blame it on the virus and that it’s necessary for fairness, say you’ll re-examine after this year, and then allow it for the rest of time.

But they’re the ncaa so they’ll mess it up somehow.

Eh, the NCAA doesn't need cover for this. Just pass the rule, making all sports equal, and reduce the hypocrisy.

Status
Not open for further replies.