Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (March 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Small possibility we lose more than just Trent and Damonte after next season and no I’m not talking about Kofi.

that being said they are looking at guards with more than 1 year to play.
Is that a good "we are losing more players to NBA/pros," or bad "there are some people who aren't the happiest at Illinois?"

Small possibility we lose more than just Trent and Damonte after next season and no I’m not talking about Kofi.

Yeah I look at the 2021-22 roster and I see three guards, Curbelo/Miller/Hutcherson (Classifying Griffin as a wing).

Are we positive Hutcherson contributes enough next year to avoid grad transferring out as a senior for more PT? And what do we do if any of those three gets injured?

Obviously we’ll be looking for freshmen in that class but it would be nice to have at least one more veteran option in the mix.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™

[pure speculation alert]

Has to be Griffin.* If he takes a similar leap next season, he'll have myriad opportunities (beyond just the NBA). And so it goes. Completely agree with the small possibility assessment. But ignoring it would be very foolish.

* Been wrong before, lol

Is that a good "we are losing more players to NBA/pros," or bad "there are some people who aren't the happiest at Illinois?"
Can't imagine he would know 2 years in advance in terms of current players plans to transfer, so I'm going to guess it's about guys like Miller and Curbelo testing the NBA waters. Unless he already knows Hutcherson and Grandison are unhappy and it would be unlikely they would waste 2 years in a row on the transfer market.

illini80

Forgottonia
Think it was yesterday that Piper said Illinois was preparing for the “possibility” of losing 2-3 players beyond Ayo. Doesn’t mean it will happen, but they are obviously recruiting the guard position and the 4.

illini80

Forgottonia
Can't imagine he would know 2 years in advance in terms of current players plans to transfer, so I'm going to guess it's about guys like Miller and Curbelo testing the NBA waters. Unless he already knows Hutcherson and Grandison are unhappy and it would be unlikely they would waste 2 years in a row on the transfer market.
So guys like Hutch and Grandison, would they be eligible for the 1 time transfer without sitting policy? Seems fair that they would to me. If so, the recruiting news makes even more sense.

Good point. Wasn't really thinking when I asked that

Think it was yesterday that Piper said Illinois was preparing for the “possibility” of losing 2-3 players beyond Ayo. Doesn’t mean it will happen, but they are obviously recruiting the guard position and the 4.
Can’t guess who would leave after Tevian. Based on past experience it would be Jermaine as a developmental center. Neither of these are guards however.

So guys like Hutch and Grandison, would they be eligible for the 1 time transfer without sitting policy? Seems fair that they would to me. If so, the recruiting news makes even more sense.

^^^^This or Trent/Kofi/Miller would make 3 the year after or so...

With Haliburton going PRO likely, I would say maybe they would have a chance at Iowa St for Carton, but their team could almost be a 6-5" under team next year all guards mostly...3 over like 6-7" and Griffin is out as well.

Seth Towns to tOSU over Duke. Big pick up for Holtmann. Big 10 just got better.

Seth Towns to tOSU over Duke. Big pick up for Holtmann. Big 10 just got better.

He is from Columbus, OH.

"I'm coming home," Towns said. "From a basketball standpoint, it makes sense for me. Obviously, there's no place like home. Coach [Chris] Holtmann and I have developed a really good relationship; I trust him wholly. It's great, it's been my childhood dream. I have a painting of me in an Ohio State jersey on my childhood bedroom wall, even still. I got that when I was 2 years old."

He has knee problems.

Last edited:

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
https://qctimes.com/sports/college/...cle_04b9044f-67ff-500b-8171-489f9464995a.html
Doesn’t seem Iowa would be the the place for him if he wants a running team. Do like the thought of Curbelo, Miller and DJ as the guards in 2021-2.

Good article (especially for Prince), thanks.

Beyond having recruited him hard in round 1, we have a lot more going for us now: evidence and momentum. It's clear that our pace is quite appealing. Great players want to play with great players. Forget the second banana: 2 great PGs are better than 1 (Confucius). Carton doesn't necessarily have to have the ball all the time, his skills translate. Have come around.

A two PG setup should work, provided both guys can be effective off ball. Carton was 40% from deep this year and had some nice cuts and finishes off those around the rim. Imagine he would fit in quite nicely in a tag-team PG role.

This is a kid the staff should be all over, especially in light of Kofi being gone after next year more than likely.

Hayden Koval -

7-0 active shot blocker with range from Springfield Missouri

This is a kid the staff should be all over, especially in light of Kofi being gone after next year more than likely.

Hayden Koval -

7-0 active shot blocker with range from Springfield Missouri
Luka Garza part deux

illini80

Forgottonia
Well, it’s hard to know exactly what’s going on with no visits and no travel to recruit. But I do know one thing, I am sooo happy we have 3 players already committed for next year and we have had a ton of 2021+ guys in over the last several months. If we were sitting where we had been the previous 2 years and no ability to recruit in person, it would feel like the sky was falling. Instead, we could not ask to be in a better position than we are. Recruiting has to be tough under these circumstances for the coaches and the recruits too who now can’t get on campus. Another plus now is the fact that we have tons of exciting game tape to show.

Congratulations staff on the hard work you have done the last 3 years.

kiwanegarris22

South Carolina
https://qctimes.com/sports/college/...cle_04b9044f-67ff-500b-8171-489f9464995a.html
Doesn’t seem Iowa would be the the place for him if he wants a running team. Do like the thought of Curbelo, Miller and DJ as the guards in 2021-2.
Kedric Prince is extremely reliable. I have 100% faith in his reports. As such, I think it's obvious the staff sees a potential reincarnation of Dee (Curbelo); Deron (Carton) and Luther (Miller). Three blue chippers on the perimeter.

jmilt7

Waukegan
Does anyone have any idea when the NCAA is going to decide about the transfer rule? Seems to me this should have been decided long before now. Is there a reason they would postpone a decision because of the pandemic? I wouldn't think so, but I have been oblivious before.

Status
Not open for further replies.