Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (May 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the biggest reason Beard wouldn't leave TT is what I imagine must be a massive buyout... Not that UM couldn't afford anything.

I also don't know if Beard is a good fit for UM. Obviously you gotta heavily consider any NCAA finals coach who isn't currently leading a blue blood.

illini80

Forgottonia
Obviously the Mayor did too. Cross has a body that is B1G ready right now. Fred has been on the job less than 2 months but has quietly put together a very good recruiting class considering the timing. He has been very active in Chicago.
Nope. Relationships take time. Wait until FH recruits his first real class next year.

Besides, the Cross offer from us likely wasn’t committable./s

Where’s the stirring the pot emoji? ;)

Nope. Relationships take time. Wait until FH recruits his first real class next year.

Besides, the Cross offer from us likely wasn’t committable./s

Where’s the stirring the pot emoji? ;)

According to Cross, staff was trying to get him to visit but wanted him to pay his own way from Little Rock.:)

According to Cross, staff was trying to get him to visit but wanted him to pay his own way from Little Rock.:)
Really liked this guy but evidently the staff not so much. Physically ready and could handle the ball. Would have been commitable for me. If not commitable with two open must have a surprise for us.

Really liked this guy but evidently the staff not so much. Physically ready and could handle the ball. Would have been commitable for me. If not commitable with two open must have a surprise for us.

Both OkSU and TCU liked Cross also in that he recently took OV's to them.

illini80

Forgottonia
Board’s getting a little surly!

While I’m still hoping for a late find, looking back at last springs parade of guys we offered, the only one that had much of a season was Blake Hinson and he wanted to be a guard instead of a PF. I guess my point being there isn’t a whole lot out there. Just get Patterson and another body and I’ll be happy.

foby

Bonnaroo Land
We have a very strong roster with no glaring weaknesses and should definitely make the tourney this coming season. So for heaven's sake, yes please talk about getting rid of Underwood some more in May. :popcorn:

Board’s getting a little surly!

While I’m still hoping for a late find, looking back at last springs parade of guys we offered, the only one that had much of a season was Blake Hinson and he wanted to be a guard instead of a PF. I guess my point being there isn’t a whole lot out there. Just get Patterson and another body and I’ll be happy.
Hoping Kouma will sign at 6-10 230-240 he has a Big Ten body. Addison Patterson would be the icing on the cake. He’s exactly what this team needs: an athletic wing who is also a shooter.

I am surprised Samba stayed. At times when he needed to play, Underwood still wouldn't give him minutes. I thought highly of him in his limited tick and I wonder how he improves while being with Fletch and training year round. If he is committed I think we still may have something here.

I am surprised Samba stayed. At times when he needed to play, Underwood still wouldn't give him minutes. I thought highly of him in his limited tick and I wonder how he improves while being with Fletch and training year round. If he is committed I think we still may have something here.
Samba certainly needs to get stronger by working with Fletch. However, most of all he must develop some type of offensive skill set working with coaches.. He really doesnt have much of one right now. He hasnt played long and must develop. That's why he didnt play much. He relied of dunks and athleticism on offense and has a lot of room to improve to see many minutes as a B10 center. I wish we had the depth and we could redshirt Samba. I think he can eventually get there but it may take more time than one off season.

With the poor showing for so many years, recruiting will be tough for any coach. However, with this team I feel our record will definitely
dramatically improve, and with that potential recruits will lean more our way. Give the Coach a break. I would not have said that last winter, but after seeing Duke players hustle out of their minds, I like Coach BU.

The only thing I criticize and see improve is to keep the center near the bucket, not out in center field.

joe

With the poor showing for so many years, recruiting will be tough for any coach. However, with this team I feel our record will definitely
dramatically improve, and with that potential recruits will lean more our way. Give the Coach a break. I would not have said that last winter, but after seeing Duke players hustle out of their minds, I like Coach BU.

The only thing I criticize and see improve is to keep the center near the bucket, not out in center field.

joe

IF performance is a factor in recruiting, then we need to account for how our opponents are performing. As we improve they too are attempting to improve. So, the question I have (as I do not track such matters), are our opponents expected to perform worse than us, while we perform better than them for 2019-20?

I think I read somewhere that he valued the education at UoI. So, I suspect he looked at basketball ticks vs. education at alternative institutions and figured out UoI was a better/best option.

At 20 years old in November??

Respectfully, yes. This is college ball, not the nba. We aren’t an nba organization drafting him in the lottery, in the first round to hopefully be our center for the the next 12 years. That is where age and “upside” matter.

We are a college program hoping that he can give us defense and rebounding for the next 3 yrs. He is is still young in his learning curve. Let’s be realistic about expectations for Samba.

The staff is really good at developing bigs. Really good.

I am not at all surprised he stayed. Orlando, Fletch and Brad are just what he needs.

Samba certainly needs to get stronger by working with Fletch. However, most of all he must develop some type of offensive skill set working with coaches.. He really doesnt have much of one right now. He hasnt played long and must develop. That's why he didnt play much. He relied of dunks and athleticism on offense and has a lot of room to improve to see many minutes as a B10 center. I wish we had the depth and we could redshirt Samba. I think he can eventually get there but it may take more time than one off season.
Guess I would be happy if he could just play good defense and rebound. Any offense above put backs and dunks would be a bonus. If he can be effective in relief of Kofi it gives us more of Giorgi at the four and I do expect him to be able to shoot. If Giorgi plays the five we will be undersized again.

Status
Not open for further replies.