Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (May 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

illini80

Forgottonia
Still trying to get him eligible.

Could easily wind up being in a situation like we were last year with Samba.
And that's my fear. Some may argue (and have), but imo we lost a year of Kane because he was never able to catch up and lost a summer with Fletch. Kouma needs Fletch and the experience of the Italy trip if he hopes to have a chance of contributing this year. Of course that's assuming he is able to get admitted in the first place.

Need to have him by June. Missing the summer is bad for a freshman. Not sure if he can make a contribution this year but with only three other big men he may be needed. One reporter compared him to ADLR (slow and unathletic) but an equivalent contribution may be enough. He looked somewhat out of condition to me but seemed to have skills and a feel for the game and not sure the comparison was apt. Trusting OA on this one as he has been following him for a while.
It would have been nice to have had a healthy ADLR all year last year. If Kouma can play like a healthy ADLR, I’d take that.

Deleted member 9739

D
The Memphis juggernaut suffered a setback today. It was between Memphis, LSU, Indiana and I think Alabama
Trendon Watford committed to LSU. Only two Illinois scholarship offers left on the grid for 2019

Five-star forward Trendon Watford commits to LSU

So I guess that means we are getting both Walker and Glover. :giggle:

But seriously, it's May 20th. Shouldn't a high school senior graduate (the commencement ceremonies by me are already over) know by now where he is going to play basketball this fall? I don't understand players who haven't committed to a school yet. :unsure:

https://illiniboard.com/story/2019/4/12/looks-like-university-of-illinois-bernard-
Don't agree with the article but watch the whole game and make your own decision. Suspect the writer just watched a few minutes at the end. A lot more enthusiastic about Kouma after watching this. Unless we get another big I think he will see some minutes this year. It is also a lesson in playing a 6'6" against a 6'10" even if his name is Whitney. Couldn't find a box score but he rebounds, shoots from 15', has good hands,shoots FTs, and stays in front of his man. Much more than we were accustomed to before Giorgi.

When Self told Guenther he was talking with KU and interested in the job Guenther told him to get his stuff out by midnight and had the locks changed at Ubben...all Bill said was that he was interested not that he was taking the job. Guenther never let Bill address his team and never really made an offer to try and keep Bill.
Exactly. Guenther was hired as the anti-Neal Stoner. He proved to be that and more.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Do you think Memphis just has Fed Ex overnight the checks to the recruits family? :)
In the words of Randy Moss, "Rich people don't write checks, Straight Cash Homey"

Last edited:
Anyone hear anything about Bernard Kouma's status?
Think Werner said something in yesterday's show. But not much new as I recall, appears to be an academic hurdle, but sounds like they haven't given up on getting him here.

Do you think Memphis just has Fed Ex overnight the checks to the recruits family? :)
No- but I do think people underestimate the desire of young minority athletes to not necessarily want to play for rich older white men who can not identify with them or their background. Let's face it- there is a real issue with the number of head coaching opportunities for minorities. To have a successful, young, respected minority head coach with NBA credibility recruiting some of these players is significant. A lot of very qualified minority coaches get overlooked every year and passed over in favor of less qualified candidates. Maybe some success from Penny and Stack at Vandy will open some more doors to good candidates and some that are not necessarily NBA famous.

Dren1

Glenview, IL
No- but I do think people underestimate the desire of young minority athletes to not necessarily want to play for rich older white men who can not identify with them or their background. Let's face it- there is a real issue with the number of head coaching opportunities for minorities. To have a successful, young, respected minority head coach with NBA credibility recruiting some of these players is significant. A lot of very qualified minority coaches get overlooked every year and passed over in favor of less qualified candidates. Maybe some success from Penny and Stack at Vandy will open some more doors to good candidates and some that are not necessarily NBA famous.
To your point above, it appears that Michigan is at least contemplating going down this path with Juwan Howard.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26790844/u-m-interviewing-cooley-juwan-howard

Ed Cooley, another qualified minority coach, has opted to remain with Providence after meeting with Michigan yesterday.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26794629/cooley-stays-friars-meeting-u-m

ILL in IA

Iowa City
To your point above, it appears that Michigan is at least contemplating going down this path with Juwan Howard.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26790844/u-m-interviewing-cooley-juwan-howard

Ed Cooley, another qualified minority coach, has opted to remain with Providence after meeting with Michigan yesterday.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26794629/cooley-stays-friars-meeting-u-m
Howard could prove to be a bad head coach. And Chicago talent has never needed a reason to leave the state and skip out on the beloved. But I wonder what type of connections Howard still has to Chicago. I would think he would get into a lot of living rooms based on his resume and being from Chicago.

WiscIllini

Madison, WI
And that's my fear. Some may argue (and have), but imo we lost a year of Kane because he was never able to catch up and lost a summer with Fletch. Kouma needs Fletch and the experience of the Italy trip if he hopes to have a chance of contributing this year. Of course that's assuming he is able to get admitted in the first place.

We lost a year of Kane because Brad threw him out on the court and burned his redshirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.