Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (May 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,179      

The Recruit

The Eternal Optimist
Denver, CO
Smart at Texas - 71-66 (2 NCAA berths)
Underwood at Illinois - 26-39 (0 NCAA berths)

LOL. I would be shocked if Underwood has as bad of numbers after his next two seasons with Illinois. Sorry, but he has been in full rebuild mode and the next two seasons will be nothing similar to the first two.

Now, back to recruiting news on the recruiting thread.

#1,180      
Statistics makes a very strange bedfellow.

At times before one knows that the numbers have the better of you it is too late.

#1,181      

PJD86

Texas
You're wanting a failing coach who is being fired to replace one that won before he came here? Yeah, that'll bring us back

I meant Steward sorry for the confusion

#1,183      
Watching some of the Our Savior Lutheran/Roselle Catholic game. Kouma is nowhere close to as fluid as Giorgi, but he was able to move his feet and, for the most part, stay in front of the smaller, much quicker and more athletic Whitney. He's a big body who will protect the rim, rebound, and keep us from getting bullied down low like we did last year. And he looks to have a good enough touch to keep defenses honest out to about 15'. Not an instant impact player, but I do think he's a good fit for what we needed (size) and what we are trying to do on offense. I think he will contribute next year and certainly outplay his ranking. Watching him reminded me of Brian Carwell, who I believe was top 100 (maybe top 60?) out of HS.

It doesn’t make much sense to compare him to Giorgi. 2 completely different players. We should be comparing him to Samba. If Kouma or Samba can give us a solid 15 mpg without hurting the team then we become a lot more versatile.

#1,184      
Watching some of the Our Savior Lutheran/Roselle Catholic game. Kouma is nowhere close to as fluid as Giorgi, but he was able to move his feet and, for the most part, stay in front of the smaller, much quicker and more athletic Whitney. He's a big body who will protect the rim, rebound, and keep us from getting bullied down low like we did last year. And he looks to have a good enough touch to keep defenses honest out to about 15'. Not an instant impact player, but I do think he's a good fit for what we needed (size) and what we are trying to do on offense. I think he will contribute next year and certainly outplay his ranking. Watching him reminded me of Brian Carwell, who I believe was top 100 (maybe top 60?) out of HS.

Whitney, this year, will have FAR better teammates around him. And, more than likely better coaches too.

I think at the college level, with all due respects to everyone involved, I would tilt towards Whitney here on out. That is the way the cards are dealt.

#1,185      
Whitney, this year, will have FAR better teammates around him. And, more than likely better coaches too.

I think at the college level, with all due respects to everyone involved, I would tilt towards Whitney here on out. That is the way the cards are dealt.
He is not comparable to Whitney but Whitney was their biggest man so he was playing center against Kouma. We have seen how that plays out with our undersized team. Kouma scored 29 points. Just looking forward to having some size on our front line to prevent easy baskets and rebound. Curious to see the offensive and defensive adjustments to utilize the size.

Status
Not open for further replies.