Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (May 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
I know the fit, etc., all appears to be in our favor with Holyfield. In any case, I have a hard time getting really excited with our past history of grad transfers. I don't feel that any of them have lived up to the expectation.

Math major, right? Past performance is not indicative of future results.

If I understood Tate correctly, he said he was told Kansas had given Holyfield until today to make his decision or they were moving on. Hopefully that means no news is good news.
I assume you mean Loren Tate? (Not Larry Tate from Bewitched) Was that from his radio show today? Of course, his communication with Self won't necessary be public today. Would seem we are in as good as shape on this one as we could possibly be. Only issue, I would think is how convinced is he that for his last year that Illini will make it back to the dance.

Boy, Holyfield would certainly feel different than last year. We would have three big men that would probably start for any team outside the blue blood programs. Only thing missing would be the three spot. Concerned that Underwood will play Damonte over 20 min a game which he shouldn't be getting.

Really like Damonte and this isn’t a negative thing all, if his minutes are going down that means we are better team. If someone is taking his minutes that means they can do what he does defensively/rebounding, and also be a threat on the offensive end.

illini80

Forgottonia
I assume you mean Loren Tate? (Not Larry Tate from Bewitched) Was that from his radio show today? Of course, his communication with Self won't necessary be public today. Would seem we are in as good as shape on this one as we could possibly be. Only issue, I would think is how convinced is he that for his last year that Illini will make it back to the dance.
Yes. Saturday Sports Talk on WDWS.

illini80

Forgottonia
I know the fit, etc., all appears to be in our favor with Holyfield. In any case, I have a hard time getting really excited with our past history of grad transfers. I don't feel that any of them have lived up to the expectation.
We pretty much overhype anyone who comes with a few notable exceptions! My main worry is the injury. We have had a couple come that their injury limited them more than expected. I have heard very little about the nature of his shoulder injury other than he is not yet released from it. Anyone know the details and if there is an elevated risk of re-injury?

Really like Damonte and this isn’t a negative thing all, if his minutes are going down that means we are better team. If someone is taking his minutes that means they can do what he does defensively/rebounding, and also be a threat on the offensive end.
I'm gonna wait to judge Damonte until I see how he plays in 2019-20. This team has the potential to look very different next year. I"m going to try and enjoy the ride...

We pretty much overhype anyone who comes with a few notable exceptions! My main worry is the injury. We have had a couple come that their injury limited them more than expected. I have heard very little about the nature of his shoulder injury other than he is not yet released from it. Anyone know the details and if there is an elevated risk of re-injury?
Reports from yesterday were that he was playing on his visit. Highly doubt that happens if he wasn’t released. That being said, missing an entire season with a shoulder injury is significant.

Deleted member 236589

D
Does anyone know the timeline of this decision or is kind of it happens when it happens kind of thing. Illinois has to be a great position, I'd think.

Pros:
1)Playing 30+ minutes per game
2)Playing with an NBA caliber PG
3)Playing in a system and for a coach he knows and is comfortable with.
4)Free trip to Italy
5)He's going to have ability to showcase himself, due to lack of depth at the position.
6) Already has a built in relationship with a teammate.

Cons:
1)Haven't been relevant on the national stage (NCAA Tournament or Conference Contender) for years. Has to trust what he sees.
2)Has the opportunity to play for a blue blood.
3)Has the opportunity to stay in Texas and play for the National Runner-up.

I guess it all depends on what carries the most weight for him. I know what my decision would be, but I'm just a tad bit biased.

Does anyone know the timeline of this decision or is kind of it happens when it happens kind of thing. Illinois has to be a great position, I'd think.

Pros:
1)Playing 30+ minutes per game
2)Playing with an NBA caliber PG
3)Playing in a system and for a coach he knows and is comfortable with.
4)Free trip to Italy
5)He's going to have ability to showcase himself, due to lack of depth at the position.
6) Already has a built in relationship with a teammate.

Cons:
1)Haven't been relevant on the national stage (NCAA Tournament or Conference Contender) for years. Has to trust what he sees.
2)Has the opportunity to play for a blue blood.
3)Has the opportunity to stay in Texas and play for the National Runner-up.

I guess it all depends on what carries the most weight for him. I know what my decision would be, but I'm just a tad bit biased.

I felt good about it until I read your pro vs con list.

I felt good about it until I read your pro vs con list.
Pros and Cons

1. I agree

2. Blue Blood: certainly Kansas would qualify under most any measure as a Blue Blood. But after looking at the results of the last seven years they made 1 final four. With all of that talent, still have to reload and remesh. (Don’t get me wrong, everyone on this board would have killed for the same results for the Good Guys.) But I would think if he wanted to go to a blue blood, his prime interests are a shot to make it to the final four and to enhance his changes at the next level. Kansas is reloading again. They are losing three of their best in Lawson, Grimes and Dotson. No doubt they will be good, but probably not as good as last year, no shoe in for Final 4. And I think Antigua offsets any claim to an advantage on preparation for the next level.

3. Staying in Texas and playing for the National runner up: Texas Tech, “National Champion Runner Up” has the prospect to completely fall off it’s perch. Didn’t realize it, but Tech was playing 4, count’em, four red shirt seniors last year, any they weren’t practice players. They used basically a 8 man rotation, and including Jarrett Culver (declared for the draft) they are losing 5 or the top six players in the rotation in every category. Moretti, arguably their 2d most valuable is the only of their top six returning. They could win the Farthest to Fall award. As far as staying in Texas. Lubbock is almost as close to Denver as SFA (and that is to say, it’s a long way). And no offense to all you West Texans, but Lubbock is not my first choice of vacation spots and isn’t anything like Nacogdoches (SFA), where you can get to Dallas, Houston, Austin, Shreveport, La reasonably efficiently. He would be much closer to New Mexico (where he is from). But I don’t believe location will be much of key in this recruitment.

Then again, having come from the Midwest and having spent time in Lubbock, none of these will stand out for their unique natural beauty (Plains/Prairie, corn, soybeans, cotton . . .), and I would add that Lubbock was named The Weather Channel’s Worst Weather City and U of I is always near the top of the best party campuses.

And then again, this is my evaluation, who knows what TJH is thinking. Hopefully he is a guy that likes long term relationships.

Hope this makes you feel a little better.

illini80

Forgottonia
Reports from yesterday were that he was playing on his visit. Highly doubt that happens if he wasn’t released. That being said, missing an entire season with a shoulder injury is significant.
That was from Saturday Sportstalk. I listened again and they did not use the terminology “not released”. They said according to Underwood, “he really shouldn’t be doing a whole lot yet”. Take that for what it’s worth I guess.

933CA6F4-18E4-445A-9961-B15824AE40B7.png
Accidentally posted this on the other thread. Kofi posted this on Instagram. Tagged account is TJH. Idk if it means anything good but it can’t be bad

😟 Worried Face
A yellow face with open eyes, raised or furrowed eyebrows, and a broad frown. May convey a variety of moderately sad or tense emotions, including concern, anxiety, alarm, disappointment, and unhappiness.
Apple’s design features the same eye expression as on its 😯 Hushed Face. Not to be confused with 😲 Astonished Face or 😵 Dizzy Face.
Samsung’s design previously included sweat droplets coming from its cheeks, a shorthand for anxiety in manga and anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.