Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (May 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cell towers probably jammed with all the area activity. Hopefully a good amount of it from Ubb.

Waiting for an update...… Hoping for a good turnout
not any kind of expert here.
Lots of one on one between Giorgy,Ayo and Tj.
Ayo and Tj went at it pretty good and it seemed to me to be a pretty even competition
Ayos shot was a lot smoother and he seemed to be more balanced when shooting. Hes developing a step back from 3 that seemed to be popular with all the players.
I liked the aggresive defense from all 3 several blocked shots from Giorgy and Tj.
If we get Tj I think we will b able to put 5 players on the floor who can get to the rim.
If we get Tj we are a lock for the tourney next year.Possibly even a sweet 16 type of team he gives us flexibility on offense and defense.

Tj seems like a really good person. He had to be dragged out on the court to be recognized. You could see the bond between him and Underwoods son. I would guess around 200 people present. I would be very surprised if we didnt get him
Value. Ya know, it is entirely possible that BU actually does have a grand plan, is smarter than all of us when it comes to managing the program, and had deeper reasons for playing his son in games than nepotism. For all we know, Tyler buys in more to his real role on the squad when he gets some PT.

TJ looks very fluid and skilled. Closest comparison is Gooden from Kansas about 15 years ago. At 6-8 with a solid built means we will not get killed by teams like Iowa, PSU, Minny, and Purdue who featured a 7 footer and a 6-9 true PF.

This would allow Kipper and Tevian to play as wings and not PF. A Bigs rotation of Kofi, Giorgi, Samba, and Tj would be solid.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
TJ looks very fluid and skilled. Closest comparison is Gooden from Kansas about 15 years ago. At 6-8 with a solid built means we will not get killed by teams like Iowa, PSU, Minny, and Purdue who featured a 7 footer and a 6-9 true PF.

This would allow Kipper and Tevian to play as wings and not PF. A Bigs rotation of Kofi, Giorgi, Samba, and Tj would be solid.

Holyfield can play as a wing too. Not suggesting he should be exclusively at the wing, but he would afford Underwood a lot of flexibility.

Value. Ya know, it is entirely possible that BU actually does have a grand plan, is smarter than all of us when it comes to managing the program, and had deeper reasons for playing his son in games than nepotism. For all we know, Tyler buys in more to his real role on the squad when he gets some PT.

So a player who embraces his bench role more by playing?

So a player who embraces his bench role more by playing?
It’s funny what a “thing” the coaches’ son’s playing time has become. He doesn’t get a lot of minutes, basically just filling time in spots. Considering how he’s used, I don’t see him “stealing “ minutes from anyone. It’s difficult being the son of a coach in the most ideal of situations (even being the star).

HoopCity

Huntsville, AL
It’s funny what a “thing” the coaches’ son’s playing time has become. He doesn’t get a lot of minutes, basically just filling time in spots. Considering how he’s used, I don’t see him “stealing “ minutes from anyone. It’s difficult being the son of a coach in the most ideal of situations (even being the star).

The Tyler Underwood Florida connection with TJ Holyfield helps very much too

I agree. His time in games was inconsequential. However I would’ve preferred those 3-5 minutes of game time go to those that need more floor time and have far more talent.

I Bomb

Stylin' and Profilin'
Can anyone throw out names of other recruits in yesterday? Saw someone I didn't recognize. Big guy, 6'9"+

Well, we were losing and looking terrible while doing it for a good part of the season. And we have talented but raw freshman that need development. And people had concerns that talent might leave if Tyler was going in when over guys who'd gotten relatively little PT.

My 2 cents is that Tyler was put into games mainly to have at least one guy running the system well. I don't think it was a slight to anyone, just necessary to help guys keep the offense running instead of breaking down to hero ball. You can debate that one all day though, and this board was getting pretty hot about it later in the season when it was clear we couldn't get an at-large.

Well, we were losing and looking terrible while doing it for a good part of the season. And we have talented but raw freshman that need development. And people had concerns that talent might leave if Tyler was going in when over guys who'd gotten relatively little PT.

My 2 cents is that Tyler was put into games mainly to have at least one guy running the system well. I don't think it was a slight to anyone, just necessary to help guys keep the offense running instead of breaking down to hero ball. You can debate that one all day though, and this board was getting pretty hot about it later in the season when it was clear we couldn't get an at-large.
Well said.

I was one who hated it and still prefer to invest in the scholarship guys. But as you said, it can be debated all day.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Tyler's tick in tight games is going to dwindle (not that it was much). He'll see the vast majority of his time during blowouts.

Thinking Tyler is giving us a leg up with Holyfield. Petty nailed it: the waiting is the hardest part.

illini80

Forgottonia
If I understood Tate correctly, he said he was told Kansas had given Holyfield until today to make his decision or they were moving on. Hopefully that means no news is good news.

Boy, Holyfield would certainly feel different than last year. We would have three big men that would probably start for any team outside the blue blood programs. Only thing missing would be the three spot. Concerned that Underwood will play Damonte over 20 min a game which he shouldn't be getting.

sacraig

The desert
Boy, Holyfield would certainly feel different than last year. We would have three big men that would probably start for any team outside the blue blood programs. Only thing missing would be the three spot. Concerned that Underwood will play Damonte over 20 min a game which he shouldn't be getting.

Which, of course, assumes that Damonte doesn't improve over the off-season, which is hardly a guarantee.

Let's wait and see what Kofi can do before we toss around that he would start for any team other than 4 or 5 teams. I think he can start for us and make us better. I hope he explodes on the scene here but to expect him to come in and be a better 5 than any teams other than the Dukes and Kentuckys is a bit much. Especially as a freshman.
Demonte played a lot because he was our lack of strength and toughness at the 4. That wont be the case next season

kcib8130

Parts Unknown
I know the fit, etc., all appears to be in our favor with Holyfield. In any case, I have a hard time getting really excited with our past history of grad transfers. I don't feel that any of them have lived up to the expectation.

Status
Not open for further replies.