Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (May 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HC Illini

HC Illini
Lucky can you give a subtle hint about the subtle hint. I’m hearing nothing on this one.

Not sure why the delay with Holyifield, don't think it is admissions clearance. Hope he isn't expanding his search.

I think if we land Holyfield, we should be able to get to the tournament. Without him, I'm not sure we make the tournament.

I Bomb

Stylin' and Profilin'
“Official” if that’s the case then the Groce staff must’ve had no clue themselves because our insiders were always wrong.

It didn’t help the fanbase was so thirsty every little vague hint was obsessed over.

Only coaching regime I had ties to, and almost every time I was told something it didn't come true. I think those guys were strung along consistently themselves, imo, and I felt for them. Happy to be out of the loop now :)

My fellow fans, Holyfield is a ok ball player. Coming from Albuquerque, back to here. He is comparable to 6 pts 4 boards. We had one of these from Wright State 2 years ago. I personally do not want anyone getting in front of TVJ or AG! He did not Play last year and is from a horrible conference. He will not make us a tournament team. AYO, Georgi, Trent, AF, and experience will. Let's go Fighting Illini....

For the 100th time, not all transfers from small schools are similar players. Brandon Clarke and Matt Mooney were both from "horrible conferences." They seemed to do just fine last year for really good teams. Holyfield makes this team better, and increases our chances of making the NCAA tournament. I really hope it becomes official today!

My fellow fans, Holyfield is a ok ball player. Coming from Albuquerque, back to here. He is comparable to 6 pts 4 boards. We had one of these from Wright State 2 years ago. I personally do not want anyone getting in front of TVJ or AG! He did not Play last year and is from a horrible conference. He will not make us a tournament team. AYO, Georgi, Trent, AF, and experience will. Let's go Fighting Illini....

If Holyfield comes, I’d have to think he’d primarily play the 4. It will likely be a three man rotation with him, GB and KC at the 4 and 5. And a three man rotation of TF, AD and AF at the 1 and 2. TVJ and AG will be competing with DW for their minutes at the 3. I don’t think Holyfield has much of an impact on their playing time other than to prevent them from having to play out of position.

If Holyfield comes, I’d have to think he’d primarily play the 4. It will likely be a three man rotation with him, GB and KC at the 4 and 5. And a three man rotation of TF, AD and AF at the 1 and 2. TVJ and AG will be competing with DW for their minutes at the 3. I don’t think Holyfield has much of an impact on their playing time other than to prevent them from having to play out of position.
Absolutely agree. Hopefully he will do what I expected from Kipper last year and didn't get and 4-5 rebounds will be just fine.

If he comes. He will be starting with Giorgi and Kofi
We’ll see I guess. But even if they all start in order to appease everyone, I can’t imagine they’ll all be on the floor at the same time for many minutes (unless Samba is ready to play 25 minutes a game).

We’ll see I guess. But even if they all start in order to appease everyone, I can’t imagine they’ll all be on the floor at the same time for many minutes (unless Samba is ready to play 25 minutes a game).
Not really to appease everyone. TJ can guard 4 positions and handle it better than people think. Also team will have a tough time guarding 6'1 6'5 6'7 6'9 6'10 especially when they all move well for their size.
Kofi was guaranteed he would start when he committed.
He wasn't guaranteed a starting spot. He will earn one though.

Not really to appease everyone. TJ can guard 4 positions and handle it better than people think. Also team will have a tough time guarding 6'1 6'5 6'7 6'9 6'10 especially when they all move well for their size.

He wasn't guaranteed a starting spot. He will earn one though.
There’s 80 minutes at the 4 and 5. If Holyfield plays even 10 minutes at the 3, then we need our rotation of bigs to play 90 minutes a game. Maybe GB and Holyfield each play 30, KC can play 25 and Samba 5. That seems like a stretch but even in that scenario, at most it’s only 10 minutes at the 3 for Holyfield.

I could see Holyfield Giorgi and Kofi playing about 10 minutes a game together on the court. That leaves Holyfield about 15 at the 4 and Giorgi about 20 at the 5. That would essentially mean 25 minutes would have to be accounted for at 3, 15 at the 4, and less than 5 minutes at the 5 (assuming Kofi gets somewhere between 15-20 minutes on the court). I could definitely see Samba getting between 5-10 minutes next year. I don't think it's a crazy outcome to see that happen, assuming Kipper/Jones can play a little "small" ball at the 4 position. 10 minutes of playing guys 6'8", 6'9", and 7 foot is a nightmare. They don't need to play major minutes together to make a major impact. I also don't think it's BU's style to play that kind of game, but that might be more of the fact that he's probably never had this kind of talent combined with length.

I think having a guy like Kofi at the 5 lets you do a lot of things. Center is the end all at the defensive end, even with how the game is played now. I'm a lot less concerned with throwing someone like Kipper or Jones out there with three guards and Kofi than I was without Kofi. I don't expect a lot offensively from him, but I hope he can do a lot off the score sheet to help this team.

I could see Holyfield Giorgi and Kofi playing about 10 minutes a game together on the court. That leaves Holyfield about 15 at the 4 and Giorgi about 20 at the 5. That would essentially mean 25 minutes would have to be accounted for at 3, 15 at the 4, and less than 5 minutes at the 5 (assuming Kofi gets somewhere between 15-20 minutes on the court). I could definitely see Samba getting between 5-10 minutes next year. I don't think it's a crazy outcome to see that happen, assuming Kipper/Jones can play a little "small" ball at the 4 position. 10 minutes of playing guys 6'8", 6'9", and 7 foot is a nightmare. They don't need to play major minutes together to make a major impact. I also don't think it's BU's style to play that kind of game, but that might be more of the fact that he's probably never had this kind of talent combined with length.

I think having a guy like Kofi at the 5 lets you do a lot of things. Center is the end all at the defensive end, even with how the game is played now. I'm a lot less concerned with throwing someone like Kipper or Jones out there with three guards and Kofi than I was without Kofi. I don't expect a lot offensively from him, but I hope he can do a lot off the score sheet to help this team.
This is probably a better analysis of minute allocation than mine above because it contemplated small ball lineups. But I still doubt we see 10 minutes a game with Kofi, Giorgi and Holyfield on the floor together on most nights.

Status
Not open for further replies.