Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (May 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need to make the last available OV count.

Not sure it is best to use it on Kouma. Patterson has said he feels the love from Illinois, but that could change if he is told there has been no OV reserved for him. The pitch to him might even be more appealing now that Holyfield isn't coming since there is more PT available. Patterson could play the 3 and even some "positionless" 4 spot. He is 6'7", close to Holyfield's 6'8", only more athletic and more star power.

If the last OV is used on Kouma, then staff will be left with two spots trying to get Parker Braun or Matic Vesel/Greg Ebo type commitments sight unseen.

Strategic use of the last OV, or mismanagement thereof, has the potential to swing this class between a large success or a disappointment. (With Kofi as the biggest success).

Our team will be different because we added recruits that are physical and can rebound in Kofi and we are looking for another to go with him and GB. We wont be outmuscled anything like last year due to the addition of Kofi. Recruiting involves more than just one guy. If we are reliant on not missing on one guy we are screwed. You miss a lot more than you dont.

That's problem, we only have one recruit.

Deleted member 649710

D
tenor.gif

Holyfield was going to play mostly 4. Tev will get more tick though. Hoping he takes a big step up. Really, same goes for all the frosh.

While no question, Holyfield would of made us more likely short term to make the tournament next year, long term, I'm a huge fan of Tevian getting as many minutes as possible. This team has a chance (bubble) at the tourney next year, Ayo and Trent are going to be so good and so many pieces around them.

Years to follow, the more Tev, Allan, and Samba play, the better! Hopefully we can use their minutes, development and continued years left with the team to help with Miller and others.

Deleted member 643761

D
Lol....Frankie says relax. TJ wouldn't have even taken a passing look at Illinois if BU wasn't the coach. This has everything to do with what the kid wants and little to do with Illinois' recruiting efforts.

Our team is an NCAA caliber team as it suits up right now. TJ made us deeper and more athletic for sure, but he was not the difference between dance or no dance.

Everybody take a deep breath......no wait...overreacting is much more entertaining!

OMG we didn't sign a JUCO transfer!!!!!! BU can't recruit!! Groce was better!! We're on the bubble already!!!

giphy.gif
I suppose a few are overreacting.

But if you don't want to be disappointed when we lose a recruit we wanted or lose a game or whatever, than go right ahead. I'm a fan. I want what's best for my team. When it doesn't happen, I'm disappointed.

We should make the tourney next year.

Complementary guy v featured guy. 20-25 mpg v 30+ mpg. Business decision.

This makes sense. At Illinois, he would have been, what, the 3rd option? Behind Giorgi and one of our guards (either Ayo or Trent depending on game-plan/hot hand). Maybe, 4th option?

At TT, it sounds like they will be somewhat depleted. He may have been told he’d be the #1 or #2 option on a team that is currently in the national spotlight with the hot young coach that just had back-to-back 1st rd picks in the nba (Culver is currently projected top 5). If he has pro aspirations, this theory is not far-fetched.

Not to mention, closer to home.

While no question, Holyfield would of made us more likely short term to make the tournament next year, long term, I'm a huge fan of Tevian getting as many minutes as possible. This team has a chance (bubble) at the tourney next year, Ayo and Trent are going to be so good and so many pieces around them.

Years to follow, the more Tev, Allan, and Samba play, the better! Hopefully we can use their minutes, development and continued years left with the team to help with Miller and others.
Agree. Holyfield is a big miss...but I was more disappointed not getting 2 yr guy Tomas W. A 2 year guy apparently heading to Virginia with his ~45% 3p%.

The common theme is these transfer players are going for winning teams ....we will be there and I do believe players signing now will be remembered for being part of the inflection point in Illini basketball being prominent again.

Deleted member 16068

D
Start winning and it wont matter about guys like TJ

IIRC we have only one official visit left until August.

This is the biggest issue imo, rather than missing out on TJH. How do you fill 3 roster spots with a good amount of quality players with only one OV? If you spend the last OV on Kouma, he better commit. Then no OV for Patterson if he wanted to visit?

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
I suppose a few are overreacting.

But if you don't want to be disappointed when we lose a recruit we wanted or lose a game or whatever, than go right ahead. I'm a fan. I want what's best for my team. When it doesn't happen, I'm disappointed.

We should make the tourney next year.

Well of course I'm disappointed! TJ would have been a great addition! But he's a grad ( I mistakenly said JUCO earlier...oopsie) transfer that is coming off an injury and just happened to play for our HC and visited because of that. That's all it is. We didn't whiff on a huge recruiting target.

Illinivek23

Gurnee
Well of course I'm disappointed! TJ would have been a great addition! But he's a grad ( I mistakenly said JUCO earlier...oopsie) transfer that is coming off an injury and just happened to play for our HC and visited because of that. That's all it is. We didn't whiff on a huge recruiting target.

I agree with this perspective.

Need big off seasons from AG, TJ and SK. Also DMW getting untracked on O would be a huge help!

Not concerned about the impact of not having TJ.

Very concerned that a year’s worth of recruiting efforts has landed one signed commitment with 3 open scholarships. A signal that recruiting ain’t going so well.

Holyfield was going to play mostly 4. Tev will get more tick though. Hoping he takes a big step up. Really, same goes for all the frosh.
I think the difference is more on the defensive end, less help and rim defense for the coming year. Exactly what has been getting us killed for the last 2 years. I don't see Tev making a big difference there, will, I think, be better than what we got from Kipper though. Holyfield was going to be a difference maker for depth and against any foul trouble on the front line defensively, most importantly. Kofi helps, but everyone knows about Freshman and fouls. Hopefully, we get a significant jump from Samba and Kouma signs and the coaches pitch to him about being impressed with his defensive abilities translates into some immediate help.

Regardless, team will be better, schedule will be easier. I think the difference without Holyfield is mid-conference vs getting into top 1/3.

As surprised as I am about Holyfield deciding to go to Lubbock, I guess it makes sense in this regard: In Lubbock he will get a chance to be featured offensively, I just don't see that in Champaign. If his focus is the next level, it is by nature and the rules, an offensive league; can't prove you can make the open 3 point shoot, you better have some other very unique qualities. In Lubbock, with all of the personnel changes, young players he'll get a chance to showcase. If his focus was on the tourney, I guess we could have lost out to Kansas as well.

I wish him luck, very sorry we didn't get him signed. I think he would have been a huge piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.