Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (May 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 643761

D
Apart from the run on sentence (as someone else pointed out), what Jiro said is what I have been beating the drum about since at least last year. I do disagree with the "silly" but on the other hand there seem to be some people who adhere to an absolutist stance in regards to winning, that is, they are absolutely convinced that winning will solve recruiting problems. While I agree that it is important and will certainly help, I don't see it as an either/or situation. I do not see the evidence that only by winning will Illinois get good recruits. Actually, on second thought, in Illinois' case, that may be the only way now but I don't see that as being the case for all basketball programs in general. Look at Hardaway's class. Some say it is the number one class; it is at least in the top five and he has yet to even win a college basketball game as a coach. I am also not sure what the point about Will Wade is being made. He was successful recruiting without a particular stellar winning record, it's just that he may have done so, uh, how to phrase it?, not exactly above board. And yet, so far he is still the coach at LSU (at least unless things have changed again. He was removed then reinstated last I heard) and although he may have lost a recruit or two (Quinones for one) he may still end up coaching one of the better recruiting classes next year. The FBI investigation does not seem to have had much of an impact, at least yet, but that is a discussion for the FBI thread. So bottom line, I just don't think it is just about winning and I don't think the evidence points to that. I agree, winning is important, just not the only thing.
You really don't see the point with Wade? He cheated. So as an example of being able to recruit from the start at a new program he's the wrong example for Illinois

jmilt7

Waukegan
It was widely believed on this board that neither Higgs nor January would play a have for Illinois by New Year's or so. The staff surely had even better info on this and should be been acting accordingly. You don't get credit for guys that don't show up on campus.

But neither were "official" until recently. It was also widely believed on this board that Holyfield was a "lock"

jmilt7

Waukegan
Addison Patterson reclassifying and committing sure would help ease the sting of missing out on Holyfield, but I’m not sure what else would.
I agree but neither he nor Kouma are going to provide the experience that Holyfield would, presumably. They would or will (if they come) probably be on par with TJ this past year in terms of minutes, abilities, scoring, etc. I think Holyfield would have provided those things this coming year.

What are these physilities you speak of??? This must be the determining factor, I've never heard of it.
I never said it was the determining factor. That's kind of the point. There are a lot of things that influence a recruit and they are often different for each individual and what they are looking for in a program.

I never said it was the determining factor. That's kind of the point. There are a lot of things that influence a recruit and they are often different for each individual and what they are looking for in a program.
Dbell I think the reply sailed high...way high! Riverchief, he was making a joke about the new word you created, physilities.Lets just assume you meant facilities.

Dbell I think the reply sailed high...way high! Riverchief, he was making a joke about the new word you created, physilities.Lets just assume you meant facilities.
People kill me on here at times That is what I meant and I made a spelling error. I'm sure he never has. At times I think there are more editors with comments about run on sentences and spelling errors jokes. Maybe arrogance students should have been on my recruiting factors list! I think many on here rarely picked up a basketball in thier lives. I know how to spell facilities and just had a brain fart. Ha ha and Go Illini.

Last edited:
The biggest flaw in Samba's game was not wieght but lack of an offensive skill set. Something GB has and people often ignored in favor of Samba prior to the season. He needs a lot of work on the offensive end and from the FT like (14%,).
Samba can be an effective rim protector. He run well and cut to the basket for dunks but really needs to work this off season to get more PT. We are stronger down low than last year and it will depend on who we sign and which players from last year improve.
I dont recall how late we added players last season but I expect that there are some we are unaware of being considered and that are considering the Illini.
De La Rosa signed on July 25th.

But neither were "official" until recently. It was also widely believed on this board that Holyfield was a "lock"

It's the staff's job to know risks like January's grades and Higg's health. If the issues were well known by bystanders on this board, it is pretty safe to assume the staff was aware of the potential problems too.

If the staff is not capable of accurately assigning risk to these issues and to properly hedge against the risks going against us, they are simply not doing their job.

If your wife stops talking to you and starts packing her bags, you shouldn't just go watch tv because she hasn't "officially" left you yet.

The biggest flaw in Samba's game was not wieght but lack of an offensive skill set. Something GB has and people often ignored in favor of Samba prior to the season. He needs a lot of work on the offensive end and from the FT like (14%,).
Samba can be an effective rim protector. He run well and cut to the basket for dunks but really needs to work this off season to get more PT. We are stronger down low than last year and it will depend on who we sign and which players from last year improve.
I dont recall how late we added players last season but I expect that there are some we are unaware of being considered and that are considering the Illini.
Didn't see Samba enough to judge offensive skills as 1 of 7 total FT's is a small sample. Fg% was .591 but only 22 shots so also a small sample. 4.8 mins in 18 games would indicate coach didn't believe he was ready. He just didn't have the coaching background that Giorgi had and didn't have the BB savy by all appearances. However a year of coaching and practicing could make a huge difference. However 220#'s on a 7' frame is going to get pushed around. Egwu for example was 245 as a frosh and Giorgi was listed at 235. Not saying it is only flaw but believe it is significant. Stronger would help.

It's the staff's job to know risks like January's grades and Higg's health. If the issues were well known by bystanders on this board, it is pretty safe to assume the staff was aware of the potential problems too.

If the staff is not capable of accurately assigning risk to these issues and to properly hedge against the risks going against us, they are simply not doing their job.

If your wife stops talking to you and starts packing her bags, you shouldn't just go watch tv because she hasn't "officially" left you yet.
Or at least ask what she would like to watch.

Didn't see Samba enough to judge offensive skills as 1 of 7 total FT's is a small sample. Fg% was .591 but only 22 shots so also a small sample. 4.8 mins in 18 games would indicate coach didn't believe he was ready. He just didn't have the coaching background that Giorgi had and didn't have the BB savy by all appearances. However a year of coaching and practicing could make a huge difference. However 220#'s on a 7' frame is going to get pushed around. Egwu for example was 245 as a frosh and Giorgi was listed at 235. Not saying it is only flaw but believe it is significant. Stronger would help.
Being stronger certainly will help. I hope Samba does improve. I'm just using the eye test when I judge his offensive skill set. GB has much more than a few pounds on Samba when it comes to playing basketball I would be willing to bet that nearly all of Samba's made shots were dunks or from a few feet away. That is fine is his shot selection is with the constraints set by the staff. I hope Samba can develop significantly. You are correct. He certainly hasnt been playing long and could certainly get there with hardwork and good coaching.

It was also widely believed on this board that Holyfield was a "lock"

Whoever said "lock" IMO was trolling or sarcastic. If you say lock in recruiting, that should flag you as someone who doesn't know what they're talking about. The chatter was pretty good, and with a prior connection at SFA, the list trimmed down to 3 suiters, plus one of those (Kansas) appearing to move on, why wouldn't folks like our chances?

In any case, learn what you can and move on.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Whoever said "lock" IMO was trolling or sarcastic. If you say lock in recruiting, that should flag you as someone who doesn't know what they're talking about. The chatter was pretty good, and with a prior connection at SFA, the list trimmed down to 3 suiters, plus one of those (Kansas) appearing to move on, why wouldn't folks like our chances?

In any case, learn what you can and move on.

Suitors. WRT your points: spot on.

I agree, Holyfield could have provided experience neither of them can. But, Patterson would easily be the better overall get imo
I agree but neither he nor Kouma are going to provide the experience that Holyfield would, presumably. They would or will (if they come) probably be on par with TJ this past year in terms of minutes, abilities, scoring, etc. I think Holyfield would have provided those things this coming year.

People kill me on here at times That is what I meant and I made a spelling error. I'm sure he never has. At times I think there are more editors with comments about run on sentences and spelling errors jokes. Maybe arrogance students should have been on my recruiting factors list! I think many on here rarely picked up a basketball in thier lives. I know how to spell facilities and just had a brain fart. Ha ha and Go Illini.
River city - Not picking on you and yes, I know what you meant and I’m sure others did as well. I think Dbell was just bringing some levity to the board which I always appreciate (not to make fun of you). I often have to edit posts due to fat fingers and poor eyesight. Please take the comments in the way they were intended, (for humor, not abuse) i.e., “that’s great but who are the chefs?”

Does Samba Kane have the potential to do what Nnanna Egwu did his sophomore year?

2012-13 SOPHOMORE: Started 35 of 36 games, averaging 6.5 points ... Led team in rebounding with average of 4.9 rpg ... Fourth in Big Ten in blocked shots, averaging 1.4 bpg ... One of three recipients of team's Most Improved Player award ... Scored in double figures six times on the season, led by career-high 16 points on 7-of-10 shooting vs. Ohio State (Jan. 5)
Yes, maybe better.

Status
Not open for further replies.