Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (May 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does Samba Kane have the potential to do what Nnanna Egwu did his sophomore year?

2012-13 SOPHOMORE: Started 35 of 36 games, averaging 6.5 points ... Led team in rebounding with average of 4.9 rpg ... Fourth in Big Ten in blocked shots, averaging 1.4 bpg ... One of three recipients of team's Most Improved Player award ... Scored in double figures six times on the season, led by career-high 16 points on 7-of-10 shooting vs. Ohio State (Jan. 5)
Samba is without a doubt more athletic than Nana is. Be interesting to see what happens If he gets stronger and adds 20 lbs of muscle and he works hard and improves his offensive game significantly. We have one of the best big man coaches in the country in Orlando. There is the possibility that he could develop into something special. Practicing everyday against the likes of Giorgi and Kofi and potentially Bernard Kouma if he ever signs will only benefit him.

Samba is without a doubt more athletic than Nana is. Be interesting to see what happens If he gets stronger and adds 20 lbs of muscle and he works hard and improves his offensive game significantly. We have one of the best big man coaches in the country in Orlando. There is the possibility that he could develop into something special. Practicing everyday against the likes of Giorgi and Kofi and potentially Bernard Kouma if he ever signs will only benefit him.
I wish we were in a position for him to redshirt since he hasnt been play long enough or with great coaching to develop a B10 skill set yet. I hope he can develop one quickly.

Dbell1981

Decatur, IL
There is also more than one way skin a cat. Just like there are a few ways to pronounce "pecan and even m oui re places to find quality Illini recruits!
I promise I was just trying to get a few giggles and lighten things up. I'm sure 95% on this board have much further education than me. No harm intended rivercity

Moss does not have Illini or any other BIG on his top 4 list. Three scholarships left with Kouma committed for one of the three. Next transfers up?

Agree with this especially the part about Texas Tech not being a lock to make the tournament. If Holyfield's aim was to be on a team that makes the final four again I think he made a mistake. As others have pointed out TT is losing a lot of players. And how many non-blue blood teams make the final four one year and do it again the next, or even go very deep in the tournament? In fact, none of the final four teams from 2018 made it back to the final four. Only Michigan made it past the second round. Villinova only made past the first round this year after winning it all the previous. And Loyola didn't even make the tournament. But as others have pointed out, getting on a Agree with this especially the part about Texas Tech not being a lock to make the tournament. If Holyfield's aim was to be on a team that makes the final four again I think he made a mistake. As others have pointed out TT is losing a lot of players. And how many non-blue blood teams make the final four one year and do it again the next, or even go very deep in the tournament? In fact, none of the final four teams from 2018 made it back to the final four. Only Michigan made it past the second round. Villinova only made past the first round this year after winning it all the previous. And Loyola didn't even make the tournament. But as others have pointed out, getting on a tournament team may not have been his only concern. Just pointing out that Holyfield probably made a mistake if he was only concerned with going deep into next year's tournament. Someone should tell him. Maybe he can change is mind.:) /s
Actually, Texas Tech made the elite 8 last year, lost their 3 most productive players, reloaded with grad-transfers and almost won it all. They're bringing in one of the strongest classes next season, including a couple of blue chippers that would start on any roster in the country. Bringing in TJ pretty much guarantees another deep run in the tournament. I would've loved to have seen him in Champaign, but cant fault his choice.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t panic just yet. I think BU knows what he’s doing.

Finger inching closer.

What does one do with the scholarships? Fill with projects and average players or let them ride till next year?

panic button.jpg

I'm really starting to question BU's recruiting tactics. He should be able to land good local talent or talent from those places where he has close connections, like Texas. However, Tex Tech just landed 3 guys on our recruiting list, two from Texas, including BU's former star player Holyfield, and they landed the 2nd best player in Illinois, Terrance Shannon. If we can't even attract our home talent, what does that say about our program in the long run?

I'm really starting to question BU's recruiting tactics. He should be able to land good local talent or talent from those places where he has close connections, like Texas. However, Tex Tech just landed 3 guys on our recruiting list, two from Texas, including BU's former star player Holyfield, and they landed the 2nd best player in Illinois, Terrance Shannon. If we can't even attract our home talent, what does that say about our program in the long run?
It says we just finished 10th in the big 10 and they are the national runner up. Recent success matters especially for a guy with 1 year left. That being said was a tough decision for TJ really loves BU and respects the hell out of him tough for him to tell him no.

Was really hoping empty chair was out of eligibility, but I find it hard to believe this staff is capable of filling 2/3 more scholarships now.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Was really hoping empty chair was out of eligibility, but I find it hard to believe this staff is capable of filling 2/3 more scholarships now.

Is this a shot at the staff, or a shot at the current state of recruits available?

You really don't see the difference between the state of the Texas Tech and Illinois programs right now? Especially with kids from Texas?

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
You really don't see the difference between the state of the Texas Tech and Illinois programs right now? Especially with kids from Texas?
Here's the crucial thing about the TTU program - they just went to the National Championship game with mostly 2* and 3* high school recruits leading their team. Their players out-played and over achieved their high school ranking, likely based on lots of variables - one of which would be really good coaching.

Winning & good recruiting are usually chicken and egg - you usually can't win without good recruits, but you can't get good recruits if you're not a winning team. This is where Illinois is stuck right now, and you either have to start winning with what you have so that good recruits are interested based on your success (like TJH, for example), or you have to start landing surprise recruits who are willing to buy into a losing program.

So far, with Ayo, Kofi, Tevian, and Trent all being at-or-near Top 100 recruits, they've bought into the idea of turning around a losing program. Now you need to win to get the recruits that want to be part of a winning team. That's why this year is crucial. Illinois needs to perform/over-perform with the guys they currently have. Some of that is on the players and some of that is on the coaches.

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
Here's the crucial thing about the TTU program - they just went to the National Championship game with mostly 2* and 3* high school recruits leading their team. Their players out-played and over achieved their high school ranking, likely based on lots of variables - one of which would be really good coaching.

Winning & good recruiting are usually chicken and egg - you usually can't win without good recruits, but you can't get good recruits if you're not a winning team. This is where Illinois is stuck right now, and you either have to start winning with what you have so that good recruits are interested based on your success (like TJH, for example), or you have to start landing surprise recruits who are willing to buy into a losing program.

So far, with Ayo, Kofi, Tevian, and Trent all being at-or-near Top 100 recruits, they've bought into the idea of turning around a losing program. Now you need to win to get the recruits that want to be part of a winning team. That's why this year is crucial. Illinois needs to perform/over-perform with the guys they currently have. Some of that is on the players and some of that is on the coaches.
Let it be known that Illinois has basically been doing the bolded above for the last 12-13 years because Weber couldn't capitalize on a NC run and no one since has been able to create any consistent winning with the players we did land.

Actually, I see the difference very clearly. We have a coach that is "good" but hasn't been good enough to take mediocre talent we have and overcome competition with better talent. TT has a "great" coach that has taken mediocre talent and crushed the competition that has better talent, so now they awarded by getting even better talent. I see how it works, but if BU can't win with mediocre talent then he better find a way to land better players.

WiscIllini

Madison, WI
It says we just finished 10th in the big 10 and they are the national runner up. Recent success matters especially for a guy with 1 year left. That being said was a tough decision for TJ really loves BU and respects the hell out of him tough for him to tell him no.

That's a really nice sentiment and all, but this staff needs to figure this recruiting thing out. Continuing to dig deep into the spring and summer to fill the current class is just going to continue to snowball and prevent us from recruiting the next year's class. We are way behind and just burning OVs without hardly any results.

WiscIllini

Madison, WI
Win games.

We clearly don't have the pieces we need otherwise the staff wouldn't be trying so hard to fill the roster out. I'll be confident they can win once they start actually doing it, but they're going to need to recruit first.

Shane Walsh

aka "Captain Oblivious"
Cynthiana, Kentucky
"7. Illinois (62) – The Illini haven’t won a national title, but went to the championship game in 2005 and have been to four other Final Fours – in 1949, 1951, 1952 and 1989. There’s a decent tradition, but the fans are a little unrealistic with regards to expectations. Bill Self was successful in his brief stint, Bruce Weber went to six NCAA tournaments from 2003-12, but John Groce struggled in his time in Champaign.

Where they win: “Location. Chicago has a ton of players.” – Big Ten head coach

The knock: “The fan base has no clue – such unrealistic expectations. They are nuts. Plus, Chicago has players – but it might take a little more than a scholarship to get a lot of them.” – Big Ten assistant coach"

https://watchstadium.com/news/big-t...k-the-best-jobs-in-the-conference-10-11-2018/

Status
Not open for further replies.