Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (May 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sacraig

The desert
The way to succeed is to set the bar lower! Then success means something different!

giphy.gif

The way to succeed is to set the bar lower! Then success means something different!
The measure of success should be wins on the court--not on the recruiting front. Just because you pursue a strategy of locking down lower rated recruits that are attainable and likely to contribute over a four year period does not mean you’re lowering the bar for performance on the court.

I have no opinion on whether we should pursue Kasubke as I haven’t seen him play. But given how the last couple recruiting cycles have gone (not to mention the last 16 years), I do think targeting more attainable recruits is a strategy we should embrace.

sacraig

The desert
The measure of success should be wins on the court--not on the recruiting front. Just because you pursue a strategy of locking down lower rated recruits that are attainable and likely to contribute over a four year period does not mean you’re lowering the bar for performance on the court.

I have no opinion on whether we should pursue Kasubke as I haven’t seen him play. But given how the last couple recruiting cycles have gone (not to mention the last 16 years), I do think targeting more attainable recruits is a strategy we should embrace.

Let me know when you perfect the formula for predicting which of said lower rated recruits will contribute over a 4 year period.

Let me know when you perfect the formula for predicting which of said lower rated recruits will contribute over a 4 year period.
Let me know how much the 5 stars that sign for duke, Kentucky and Kansas contribute for us.

sacraig

The desert
Let me know how much the 5 stars that sign for duke, Kentucky and Kansas contribute for us.

I believe you may want to go look at who we are actually recruiting. It's not like we are actually going and just recruiting all of the kids recruited by Duke and Kentucky and no one else. In fact, we have not heavily recruited many 5 star recruits lately. We have gone after some that are borderline 4/5 star guys, and have done okay in that realm (Dosunmu, Cockburn), and I'd personally like to keep doing that. We have lost out on a lot of recruits, but who doesn't outside of the blue bloods (and really, even they do).

Would I like to see more success in recruiting? Yes. That doesn't mean I want a team full of Matt Chastains.

I believe you may want to go look at who we are actually recruiting. It's not like we are actually going and just recruiting all of the kids recruited by Duke and Kentucky and no one else. In fact, we have not heavily recruited many 5 star recruits lately. We have gone after some that are borderline 4/5 star guys, and have done okay in that realm (Dosunmu, Cockburn), and I'd personally like to keep doing that. We have lost out on a lot of recruits, but who doesn't outside of the blue bloods (and really, even they do).

Would I like to see more success in recruiting? Yes. That doesn't mean I want a team full of Matt Chastains.
Nobody is advocating for a team full of matt chastains. People are advocating for a team like Iowa, Purdue or Wisconsin that routinely destroy us with guys we had no interest in recruiting.

7 top 100 players in Penny's second recruiting (technically his real first) class.
It's almost like top-tier kids are focused on going to the NBA, and playing for someone who's been there is somehow attractive.

I fully expect Fred Hoiberg to be a pain in our semprini for as long as he sticks it out in Lincoln.

Deleted member 29907

D
Brian Snow (the CB assigner) is very accurate WRT CBs (~95%). Given that the CB accuracy metric is not exactly (lol) statistical, far too early to deem him in the bag. It's early (in the 2020 derby) and Snow's most likely making an educated guess. But that Kalkbrenner, a St. Louis kid, is playing with the MIF, is a good sign. He's played pretty well too.
Hope that bastard from from the north knows what he's talking about...

Maybe a reason we have 3 open scholarships for this upcoming season.
Also plus 3 for kipper/felix/ayo. I originally thought the same, but 6 is a lot to fill; Easy to say next year options are better than end of this year, but don’t want to be in the same spot...again.

So you are assuming Kasubke wouldn't allow us to compete. Have you seen him play? 6'6" and can shoot it from deep. He's been impressive every time I've seen him. Oh and it wouldn't hurt to establish a good relationship with Chaminade.
Don't know how Kasubke got related to this.

how is a 2020 recruit one of the reason we have 3 open scholarship

If it's actually true that the staff will only accept a commitment from their "top tier" targets at this time, it would go a long way in explaining why we always have so many open scholarships going into the season.
The staff could take commitments from a few solid 3 star prospects now and still likely have at least 3 or 4 openings left in the '20 class for their potential top guys. IMO that would be a better strategy than going 1/20 on their top targets and then scrambling through no names to try and fill out the roster.

If it's actually true that the staff will only accept a commitment from their "top tier" targets at this time, it would go a long way in explaining why we always have so many open scholarships going into the season.
The staff could take commitments from a few solid 3 star prospects now and still likely have at least 3 or 4 openings left in the '20 class for their potential top guys. IMO that would be a better strategy than going 1/20 on their top targets and then scrambling through no names to try and fill out the roster.
i mean we all known illini is keeping a close eye of those tier 2 type guys but if the feel they the are trending up with those guys then you got to give it a huge stop. top tier guys are not always 4-5 stars guys but it can be guys he be a great fit in their system. i get what you saying buy if the stuff feel good with those guys then go for it.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
It's a question of maximizing the expected value of each scholarship.

It's a game of Deal or No Deal, essentially. There is a mathematically correct way to play.

Basketball recruits don't have their expected values printed in bright bold letters on them, so it's a little more complicated, but it's the same basic concept.

Illinois has over and over and over and over and over and over and over again declined or slow played recruits who were better than what they ended up accepting in vain hope of not just landing top talent, but landing ALL of the top talent that we were targeting, a wild long shot bet. The house always wins when you take risks like that.

I keep logging in, hoping to read about a commitment. Crickets.
As far as public knowledge goes, do we have any irons out there still for 2019? Honestly, I can't think of any, perhaps some unrated kids, but I'm more interested in a coupld grad transfers or JUCOs at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.