Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (May 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly don't know his backstory. Did he attend multiple schools so transcripts are an issue? I'll have to look a little deeper. Kane was a good student, but still ran into problems.
All I know is that he's been in states since 2016 and was in Massachusetts before his current school. Surely HS counselors would know what requirements are for NCAA...? IDK, but maybe a Samba-like scenario with summer school....?

Supposedly Matta was interested but Guenther did not want to interview him.
No supposing to it. As a Vermilion County Illini stalwart, I can say unequivocally that Thad wanted the job. What’s more, he had significant support from GIA donors. But Guenther listened to no one, not even his own staff. He was a 1-man wrecking crew/search “committee”.

Groce's O was checkers. Underwood's feels more like chess.

Weber's was ??? Somewhere in between?

Problem is his defense has been candyland so far. If it can make a modest improvement, to something like uno or battleship, we will be greatly improved.

No supposing to it. As a Vermilion County Illini stalwart, I can say unequivocally that Thad wanted the job. What’s more, he had significant support from GIA donors. But Guenther listened to no one, not even his own staff. He was a 1-man wrecking crew/search “committee”.
When Self told Guenther he was talking with KU and interested in the job Guenther told him to get his stuff out by midnight and had the locks changed at Ubben...all Bill said was that he was interested not that he was taking the job. Guenther never let Bill address his team and never really made an offer to try and keep Bill.

When Self told Guenther he was talking with KU and interested in the job Guenther told him to get his stuff out by midnight and had the locks changed at Ubben...all Bill said was that he was interested not that he was taking the job. Guenther never let Bill address his team and never really made an offer to try and keep Bill.

bold_move_cotton.gif

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL

I am extremely here for Guenther bashing at all times, but even I can see that the fish gets bigger every time this story gets told.

Gordon finished his freshman season averaging 20.9 points, 3.3 rebounds, and 2.4 assists per game, making 33.7% of his three-point shots and leading the Big Ten in scoring.[30During his year at IU, Gordon attained many honors. He was the Big Ten Freshman of the Year and made the third team All-American. He is IU's all-time leading freshman scorer. He set a record at IU and in the Big Ten with 669 points. He was a candidate for the Wooden Award and Naismith Award, and was named second-team All-American for CBSSports.com. He wore number 23, as he did in high school.

Would of been a great player to have. But one and done Would he have been a recruiting catalyst? Hard to tell. Could sure make the case that the 2006-2007 season would have been even more successful.

2006–07
Season record 23–12
Big 10 9–7 4th
(NCAA Round of 64

HoopCity

Huntsville, AL

This is right and I can unequivocally say that Thad actually applied for the position and was never allowed to interview. Believe it or not Gene Keady (Purdue) was calling the shots, he called Guenther and told him that Weber was ready to make the next step. By all means his resume was excellent and what he was doing at SIU was also excellent ....

Believe it or not Gene Keady (Purdue) was calling the shots, he called Guenther and told him that Weber was ready to make the next step.
Ok, so I don't believe it. I'm sure Keady put in a good word for Weber, but no way did Keady call the shots, that's just not the way it works. Maybe Keady convinced Guenther that Weber was his man, but Guenther has to own that hire.

Foggy Notion

San Francisco
giphy.gif

201154JC

Rockford, IL
Anyone hear anything about Bernard Kouma's status?

Seems like a hard working kid and academically successful...5th in his class according to this report.

http://www.news12.com/clip/14794024/scholar-athlete-bernard-kouma
Need to have him by June. Missing the summer is bad for a freshman. Not sure if he can make a contribution this year but with only three other big men he may be needed. One reporter compared him to ADLR (slow and unathletic) but an equivalent contribution may be enough. He looked somewhat out of condition to me but seemed to have skills and a feel for the game and not sure the comparison was apt. Trusting OA on this one as he has been following him for a while.

What is your take on the Kouma situation? There seems to be something going on with one side or the other. Of course not signing doesn't mean he isn't coming, but we haven't heard of any visits or any reasons for not signing either.

Word on the street is they're working on ensuring he's academically admitted to Illinois.

Status
Not open for further replies.