Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (May 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And who would you have put out there? We needed size. Had to see how quickly he could pick things up.

It appears that he only played in 18 games at less than 5 minutes per game. We must not have needed him that badly. ADLR obviously wasn't a full go most of the year, but we didn't even use Kane in some games that ADLR wasn't even available. We had games with AJ and Kipper as our "bigs."

ILL in IA

Iowa City
It appears that he only played in 18 games at less than 5 minutes per game. We must not have needed him that badly. ADLR obviously wasn't a full go most of the year, but we didn't even use Kane in some games that ADLR wasn't even available. We had games with AJ and Kipper as our "bigs."
Maybe we should be upset for not using Kane in those games. AJ and Kip at the 5 was not good for us.

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO
uhhh yes he did.
Unless the rules have changed recently, I don't believe there's any requirement that the redshirt year has to be your freshman year. He could redshirt just as easily this year and therefore hasn't burned anything.

Actually, I think the NCAA's only official reference to "redshirt" has to do with the new academic redshirt rule which forces some freshmen to sit for academic reasons. This clearly didn't apply to Kane or he wouldn't have been on the court at all last year. The general rule seems to be 5 years to play 4 (with some unusual exceptions...see Robbie Hummel.) By not using (burning) his "redshirt" last year, Kane retains some flexibility in using his remaining 3 years of eligibility over the next 4 years.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm no expert on NCAA rules and spend more than my fair share of time being wrong. If this isn't the way the rules work, I'd be very interested in knowing how they do work.

Unless the rules have changed recently, I don't believe there's any requirement that the redshirt year has to be your freshman year. He could redshirt just as easily this year and therefore hasn't burned anything.

Actually, I think the NCAA's only official reference to "redshirt" has to do with the new academic redshirt rule which forces some freshmen to sit for academic reasons. This clearly didn't apply to Kane or he wouldn't have been on the court at all last year. The general rule seems to be 5 years to play 4 (with some unusual exceptions...see Robbie Hummel.) By not using (burning) his "redshirt" last year, Kane retains some flexibility in using his remaining 3 years of eligibility over the next 4 years.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm no expert on NCAA rules and spend more than my fair share of time being wrong. If this isn't the way the rules work, I'd be very interested in knowing how they do work.

You're not wrong. It's just not typical for the redshirt to be used for development purposes after the freshmen season.

drsmitty74

Rochester

FROM NCAA WEBSITE

Redshirt: In Divisions I or II, redshirting refers to someone who is enrolled full-time at a school, but does not play for an entire academic year for the sole purpose of saving a season of competition. A redshirt does not play in any college games or scrimmage in a given sport for an entire academic year, even though that student is otherwise eligible. If you do not play in a sport the entire academic year, you have not used a season of competition. However, if you play in even one second of a game as a college student-athlete, you are not a redshirt. Redshirting does not exist in Division III because if you play or practice after your first opportunity to compete, you are charged with a season of participation.

Academic Redshirt: For student-athletes who enroll at a Division I school after Aug. 1, 2016. You may practice with your team during your first semester of full-time college enrollment and receive an athletics scholarship during your first year of full-time college enrollment but you may not compete during your first year of full-time college enrollment.

Clear as mud right? I can't see where they distinguish between the two but they ARE defined in different areas of their website.

Last edited:

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO
uhhh yes he did.
Maybe we're just using "burn" in two different ways.

If burn means to use or to use unnecessarily, then he did not burn his redshirt as he didn't use it.

If burn means to waste, then it seems reasonable to say it was burned given how little he was used last year.

No- but I do think people underestimate the desire of young minority athletes to not necessarily want to play for rich older white men who can not identify with them or their background. Let's face it- there is a real issue with the number of head coaching opportunities for minorities. To have a successful, young, respected minority head coach with NBA credibility recruiting some of these players is significant. A lot of very qualified minority coaches get overlooked every year and passed over in favor of less qualified candidates. Maybe some success from Penny and Stack at Vandy will open some more doors to good candidates and some that are not necessarily NBA famous.

I appreciate the serious response to my admittedly flip post. The success of Shaka Smart should also help open the door a little more. The genesis of my crack goes back to my early days on this board, the now infamous Derrick Rose/Eric Gordon days, when rumors were rampant that part of the "package" for DRose was a job at Fed Ex for family members, But, that was Calipari, who IMHO is Exhibit A for the sleazy (and smug) business of college basketball recruiting, I wish Penny well.

Deleted member 500209

D
Memphis Grizzlies talking to Adrian Griffin. Is Penny on the Grizzly board?

Why does everyone feel Samba will ever see big minutes if we are a top 5 B10 team? I hope he does develop but I just dont see him as the kind of talent that other teams will be afraid of facing. Do you guys if he was on another team? If so why do you feel that way? What do you feel he excels at? I think he could be a good back up to block a shot and defend possibly defend the rim some. If we are going to be what we once were we need skill and size. Like Myers or GB and a coach that wont watse it!

Last edited:
Why does everyone feel Samba will ever see big minutes if we are a top 5 B10 team? I hope he does develop but I just dont see him as the kind of talent that other teams will be afraid of facing. Do you guys if he was on another team? If so why do you feel that way? What do you feel he excels at? I think he could be a good back up but so could others
The last time we saw him play, he was a true freshman who had been in the program for 8 months. Give him a chance.

Deleted member 643761

D
Why does everyone feel Samba will ever see big minutes if we are a top 5 B10 team? I hope he does develop but I just dont see him as the kind of talent that other teams will be afraid of facing. Do you guys if he was on another team? If so why do you feel that way? What do you feel he excels at? I think he could be a good back up to block a shot and defend possibly defend the rim some. If we are going to be what we once were we need skill and size.
I think for most the expectations are fairly low and hopes high.

One of the many X factors going into the season.

Why does everyone feel Samba will ever see big minutes if we are a top 5 B10 team? I hope he does develop but I just dont see him as the kind of talent that other teams will be afraid of facing. Do you guys if he was on another team? If so why do you feel that way? What do you feel he excels at? I think he could be a good back up to block a shot and defend possibly defend the rim some. If we are going to be what we once were we need skill and size. Like Myers or GB and a coach that wont watse it!
Who expects us to be a top 5 B10 team?

Isiah Roby :) Quickly searched and there aren’t many freshman players that fit his profile of having an Offensive Rating less than 90, and a Defensive Rating less than 105. Samba’s are 84 and 105 respectively. Only one of significance is Roby, but he played thrice as many minutes as a Freshman than Samba did.

So, to your point, statistically it’s unlikely he’ll contribute more than a few minutes per game.

blackdog

Champaign

A lot of people forget he was a top 100 player in his class but moved up a year. He really should be a freshman this year which also leads to the conversation of why it hurts to not have redshirted him last season. He has a lot of potential to be an impact player with time.

A lot of people forget he was a top 100 player in his class but moved up a year. He really should be a freshman this year which also leads to the conversation of why it hurts to not have redshirted him last season. He has a lot of potential to be an impact player with time.

This is the part where the Negative Nancies have to remind you that he turns 20 in November while ignoring the fact that he's only been in this country for less then three years.

Deleted member 29907

D
The last time we saw him play, he was a true freshman who had been in the program for 8 months. Give him a chance.
Yes. He showed flashes of nice play for someone who got here late and is still learning the game. Spin to the rim dunk, fade away shots, finger wagging block - all signs of potential. He was just too thin and inexperienced to defend as a frosh in the big 10. Ideally he would have had a redshirt year to develop but I would think he can bulk up to at least Egwu size and be a similar type of rim protector. I am not sure why some think every recruit should be a 20 min player their first year or they are a bust. GB is the clear big man exception.

illini80

Forgottonia
Neither player is really mobile and they are both 7 feet tall. I see Kouma as more of a 5 than a 4.
7 ft 265 banger vs 6-10 200 lbs. He will not play the 5 this year which is what the op was discussing.

Status
Not open for further replies.