Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (May 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
7 ft 265 banger vs 6-10 200 lbs. He will not play the 5 this year which is what the op was discussing.
Don't believe Kouma is anywhere near 200#'s. He is at least as big as Giorgi. Actually doesn't look in great condition and doesn't move like Giorgi but certainly better than ADLR. Not sure where he fits but he has some skills and some size. I wonder if Samba fits more at the 4 than the 5. Rotation will be interesting problem for coaches if we don't land a true PF.

WiscIllini

Madison, WI
And who would you have put out there? We needed size. Had to see how quickly he could pick things up.

Giorgi, de la Rosa, heck throw Kipper in there. We weren't going to be world beaters last year and we all knew it, so why blow a year on a player we all knew would be developmental? We could go even more hypothetical and say we should've tried harder to just keep Finke or Eboigbodin instead of taking Higgs to give more of a buffer down low.

WiscIllini

Madison, WI
And then suddenly what looks like a waste by not using it becomes a waste by having used it.

I'm sure that's exactly what Underwood was thinking when he put Samba out there for the first time. I would rather have a player sit and develop off the court his true freshman year, than play him and use the redshirt to sit and heal in some theoretical future where he may be injured.

Why does everyone feel Samba will ever see big minutes if we are a top 5 B10 team? I hope he does develop but I just dont see him as the kind of talent that other teams will be afraid of facing. Do you guys if he was on another team? If so why do you feel that way? What do you feel he excels at? I think he could be a good back up to block a shot and defend possibly defend the rim some. If we are going to be what we once were we need skill and size. Like Myers or GB and a coach that wont watse it!

This is the wrong thread, but Samba put everything on display against UNLV last year.

7 ft 265 banger vs 6-10 200 lbs. He will not play the 5 this year which is what the op was discussing.
Careful, many didn't see Kipper as being a 5 last year either...third man in our big rotation is wide open.

Like it or not, Underwood is a win now guy. It's true he's building for the future, but when he's coaching a game, or a stretch of games, he's in it to win it. IMHO, he's a bit too focused on the short term, and needs more thought around player motivation over longer stretches, but he recruits competitive guys, so I expect he's trying to cover it that way. He was between a rock and a hard place last year with the roster as it was (Samba specifically), so my criticism is nit-picking in the extreme. That said, I would like to see him experiment more. Going into the tournament and ending the regular season, you should be laser focused on win now. But before that, you won't learn as much about your guys and your team if you don't give guys some leash, or reward them for effort even if you're worried about giving them tick. Every coach has been pleasantly surprised by putting in a kid in off the bench at some point, so you have to experiment to know who's progressed enough to respond. JMO

Quote from an article about Addison Patterson this past weekend: "Patterson said only Oregon, of those three teams, is currently recruiting him in both the 2019 and 2020 classes. Illinois and USC are both recruiting him as a 2020 prospect." Why would we not recruit him for 2019 given lack of guards in this class and at least two open scholarships? Haven't seen his name in this thread in a while, though he's by far the best (potential) 2019 prospect still considering us.

http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/...8/decision-looms-illini-target-patterson.html

Deleted member 633632

D
1) Let's assume some unnamed poster is a true "insider"

2) If a poster happens to post good information at the same time as that information appears on premium sites, that could mean said poster is just leeching off of a paid subscription. On the other hand, it could also mean said poster has some of the same sources as the premium sites, and those sources gave out the same information to multiple people.

THIS!

I know Im like 10 pages behind but i would like to comment...

see, a lot of what I post on here has ended up wrong. If you think I'm going to fall behind my wrong posts to defend myself and clean it up. Your wrong. I could care less what anyone else thinks, because the one thing I know is, the information I decide to share...

No one else has. Does it end up wrong sometimes... a lot of times lately?? Yes it has!

And while I've kept myself quiet about these issues for months, ive for darn sure been wanting to say something about those posters who obviously steal from rivals and 24/7, one in particular that consistantly posts and has to follow behind people's comments around info so he can continue to prompt himself around here as the message board "insider"... when in reality, you know nothing more than some basic knowledge that others who pay the same money you pay have access to... 🙄🙄

But rather than saying anything, I just let him have it... you know what they say, the more attention you feed the beast, the bigger it gets... 🤫🤫🤫

Last edited by a moderator:
Michigan's Juwan Howard hiring resonates with one top 2020 recruit

:(

Juwan Howard reached a deal to become Michigan's basketball coach on Wednesday, and the hiring already has resonated with one top recruit.

“It definitely has an impact (on my recruitment) because of the person he is and the coach that I believe he will be," 5-star guard Nimari Burnett, a top prospect in the class of 2020, told the Free Press. "We’ll see if it impacts me to possibly go there.”

Burnett, the No. 23 overall recruit in his class according to the 247Sports Composite, has played at Napa (Calif.) Prolific Prep after moving to California in the summer of 2017. But he's originally from Chicago and has a longstanding relationship with Howard, who is also from Chicago.

“This lady named Ms. Foster, she’s famous in Chicago," Burnett said. "Juwan Howard is from Chicago. Ms. Foster and I were close, and (Howard and I) met up when I was like 9 or 10. I’ve known him since then.”

Bye, bye birdie.

Last edited:
Juwan Howard brings with him, a couple of very talented highly rated sons. It will be interesting to see if he can coach college basketball.

Quote from an article about Addison Patterson this past weekend: "Patterson said only Oregon, of those three teams, is currently recruiting him in both the 2019 and 2020 classes. Illinois and USC are both recruiting him as a 2020 prospect." Why would we not recruit him for 2019 given lack of guards in this class and at least two open scholarships? Haven't seen his name in this thread in a while, though he's by far the best (potential) 2019 prospect still considering us.

http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/...8/decision-looms-illini-target-patterson.html
I have to believe the writer of this article is mistaken. No doubt Underwood and co. would take Addison Patterson this summer should he decide to reclassify and commit to Illinois. We have 2 open rides available, 3 if you count Kouma’s.

drsmitty74

Rochester
I have to believe the writer of this article is mistaken. No doubt Underwood and co. would take Addison Patterson this summer should he decide to reclassify and commit to Illinois. We have 2 open rides available, 3 if you count Kouma’s.
If you read the article in full, it reads a little different than the synopsis posted by Alma 19. It's a little more encouraging than if I had just relied on the post here instead of reading it in full. Illinois is the only one he commented on specifically, outside of who is recruiting him the hardest. Just my opinion.

I mean it was written by Scott Richey so not surprised but Illinois is recruiting him for 2019.

Howard will not fail in Chicago.

As long as it is not at our expense.

On the flip side let us see how he coaches and develops players. One of the args made in fav of Howard was that JB did not attract any Burger Boys. That box is now, looks like, is already checked.

I just hope Miller and others are not attracted to UM. Or for that matter Addison Patterson.

Last edited:
He had one rebound and some dunks. I want he to be able to shoot the ball and demand being guarded outside of 10 feet.

If he has good footwork and reads, he will be a contributor. He'll be an offensive threat near the basket just based on size, and a defensive presence for the same reason. I don't think we'll ask him to do more as an underclassman. With Kofi on board, we'll have options.

Not a sure thing.

Well, no coach is a sure thing. He has solid coaching experience, and the program and boosters will make sure he gets some talent early on. He'll have as good a chance at success as you could ask for.

Expectations after Beilein are probably too high. Not a legend, but I think the old saying about not following a legend applies here. Michigan's last 3 years were no worse than S16...eek!

Checking their 2019 class, they have one borderline top-100 kid.
They have a 2020 5 star committed, but I would expect they'll need to work that one after a coaching change. Howard should be able to lock down recruits, though.

He'll be tested.

Status
Not open for further replies.