Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (May 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,051      

Deleted member 643761

D
Given our guards, totally understandable that we have no incoming guards. But we've whiffed A LOT on PFs and wings. Kouma isn't exactly a high demand recruit. AFAIC, a one for ~50 qualifies as south of the Mendoza line. We need to do better.
Kinda funny because I don't consider the lack of guards "understandable" nor acceptable. We have to keep stacking guards. If we had played well this last season we would be adding one I'm sure.

#1,052      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Kinda funny because I don't consider the lack of guards "understandable" nor acceptable. We have to keep stacking guards. If we had played well this last season we would be adding one I'm sure.

What's our compelling case for guards? You're gonna sit? Granted, I'd love to bring in a quality guard, but those kids want to play. Selling a developmental year is a tough sell. Particularly for bottom dwellers.

#1,053      

sacraig

The desert
Basketball recruiting isn't about percentages. It's about the quality of the class. Who cares if you land 4 out of 12 if all 4 players are mediocre.

We have a top 50 player. That alone puts us in the midpoint of recruiting.

I don't believe I claimed that it was. If anything, I was arguing the opposite: that we shouldn't be assessing our recruiting based on the percentage of recruits we land.

#1,054      

sacraig

The desert
What's our compelling case for guards? You're gonna sit? Granted, I'd love to bring in a quality guard, but those kids want to play. Selling a developmental year is a tough sell. Particularly for bottom dwellers.

If we had a revolving door of 2-and-done guards, I could see being able to make this case. As it stands now, though, that hasn't been our MO and we have a solid group of guards already, so I agree with you that selling additional top guards on our program is challenging and shouldn't be expected. If we don't have any new guards for 2020, I would start to be concerned.

#1,057      
Who said that was the motivation? I think he was legitimately considering us. "Courtesy visits," if they actually exist, don't help the recipient. If their relationship was that strong ahead of time, then Holyfield would likely have had the courtesy to tell BU he wasn't interested rather than to visit for publicity. You don't get publicity from graduate transfers anyway.

Looks like I mis-read your original post. I thought it meant that he was just planning to sign the papers to Tech and the visit to BU was a no-shot courtesy visit.

#1,058      

Deleted member 643761

D
Recruiting isn't much about compelling cases. It's about making a guy want to play for you even when a compelling case can be made for another school.

#1,059      

sacraig

The desert
Recruiting isn't much about compelling cases. It's about making a guy want to play for you even when a compelling case can be made for another school.

Which, by definition, means you made a more compelling case than said other school.

#1,060      

Deleted member 643761

D
I don't believe I claimed that it was. If anything, I was arguing the opposite: that we shouldn't be assessing our recruiting based on the percentage of recruits we land.
Rereading I see what you mean.

#1,062      
I never thought I would live to see the day that recruits would prefer to go to Texas Tech over the University of Illinois. Thank you Ron Guenther Bruce Weber , Mike Thomas and John Groce.
Doesn't really bother me, or surprise me, that Tech is getting better recruits right now. They just contended for the title. It's other schools getting the recruits over us that concerns me. I believe Underwood is a great coach on the floor, but not quiet as confident about his recruiting abilities.

#1,063      

WiscIllini

Madison, WI
So the coaches that found one underrated recruit probably won't again because of 'hit rate probability'? Talk about 'trotting' something out there...

1. I don't think you understand probability

2. There are more recruits who BU and staff have taken that didn't pan out (already in 2 years!) than the one who has, hence probabilities.
2a. Please don't use the same old excuses as everyone else about the above-mentioned players. We took them, they busted.

Last edited:
#1,064      

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Top high school basketball player R.J. Hampton skips college to play professionally in New Zealand

A historic decision
Hampton, a 6-foot-5 guard, was originally a class of 2020 prospect but decided in April to jump up to 2019 in an effort to find better competition and get to the NBA a year sooner. A month later, he has landed on a different path altogether — one that has never been taken by a prospect of his ilk.

A few other American teenagers — like Brandon Jennings, Emmanuel Mudiay, Terrance Ferguson and Brian Bowen — have gone overseas instead of spending a year in college, but all four faced eligibility questions. Hampton did not have those issues lingering over him. He simply wants to get a jump-start on his professional career without having to go through the charade of less than a year in college.

“I expect to get a whole pro experience without being in the NBA,” he told Rivals.com. “I want to live like a pro, play and prepare myself like one, too.”

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/top-hi...-professionally-in-new-zealand-132640580.html

#1,065      

Deleted member 29907

D
1. I don't think you understand probability

2. There are more recruits who BU and staff have taken that didn't pan out (already in 2 years!) than the one who has, hence probabilities.
2a. Please don't use the same old excuses as everyone else about the above-mentioned players. We took them, they busted.
Who were the 'busts'?

#1,067      

WiscIllini

Madison, WI
Who were the 'busts'?

Vesel, Eboigbodin, and Higgs. There are a myriad of excuses (some very valid) for the staff for each of these guys, but the fact still remains that they were takes for this staff.

Edit: I just want to be clear, I don't have an issue with taking any of these players per se. I'm only using them as examples for why we shouldn't get too excited about Kouma (or any other lowly-ranked recruit, for that matter) just because our staff also happened to find Giorgi.

Last edited:
#1,068      
Vesel, Eboigbodin, and Higgs. There are a myriad of excuses (some very valid) for the staff for each of these guys, but the fact still remains that they were takes for this staff.

Edit: I just want to be clear, I don't have an issue with taking any of these players per se. I'm only using them as examples for why we shouldn't get too excited about Kouma (or any other lowly-ranked recruit, for that matter) just because our staff also happened to find Giorgi.

1.) Vesel was a bust. Enough said.
2.) I wouldn't call Greg E. was a bust. He actually performed pretty well for his freshman year, considering he was a big (and a low-ranked big fwiw.) I was disappointed when he decided to transfer.
3.) Higgs couldn't play due to a supposed medical condition. I cant call him a bust because of that imo, but I do concede it was a lost year of a scholarship.

#1,070      

Deleted member 29907

D

I would call them 'likely end of the bench guys (who didn't work out) we'll take a shot on because we need to have a full squad for practices' rather than 'busts' but that's fine.

I do agree we shouldn't get too excited about Kouma or anyone else until they get on the court. If we've learned anything from Giorgi: 1) The rating systems are not very good outside probably the top 25 and 2) We do have a coach who did see the potential and got that potential to perform very well very quickly.

#1,071      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
We sign a top 50 player, and a center at that, and you think we're below the Mendoza line.............Bwhahahahahahahah You clearly aren't a baseball fan, or at least one who understands what the Mendoza line represents.

Guess you missed the part where I cited Kofi.

#1,072      

Deleted member 643761

D
Guess you missed the part where I cited Kofi.

My guess is he saw it. I guess it's how you define the Mendoza line for recruiting. If it's purely a percentage, then I'd first say I didn't care and then I'd follow up with how we actually can't quantify it very well.

If it's about quality of class, we clearly aren't anywhere close to the Mendoza line. We have the 9th class in the Big Ten according to 247 so far from the worst which is what I'd be referencing if I was citing Mendoza.

#1,073      
We are below the Mendoza line WRT going deep into the portal time frame and a rather bad OV-Signing ratio.

And, we are slightly above the Mendoza line WRT recruits we have signed.

Combined we are on or slightly below the Mendoza line. Or, we can and should do far better WRT recruiting.

#1,075      
Doesn't really bother me, or surprise me, that Tech is getting better recruits right now. They just contended for the title. It's other schools getting the recruits over us that concerns me. I believe Underwood is a great coach on the floor, but not quiet as confident about his recruiting abilities.
My point is when Weber was the coach our recruiting class after we were in the national championship game was Charles Jackson 247 rank 117 Jamar Smith 247 rank 190 Chester Frazier 247 rank 303 and then the following year 2006 Brian Carlwell 247 rank 56 and Richard Semrau 247 rank 203. The only player who contributed anything for any length of time was Frazier and while he was an excellent defensive player he was a liability on offense. We went to the National Championship game and our recruiting was horrible. After Weber, Groce swung for the fences and struck out every time. I blame the AD’s for hiring these guys when there were better coaches out there who would have been interested in the Illinois job specifically Matta who Gunther never even contacted

Status
Not open for further replies.