Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (May 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,101      

jmilt7

Waukegan
#1,102      
Who is this Mendoza and have we offered him?

I think he has a year of eligibility left, check the portal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mendoza_Line
Mendoza.jpg

#1,103      
Adam Miller highlights been blowing up my twitter feed like crazy lately. We have to get him. I don’t know what else to say. Our staff has to find a way.

Very impressive player. Only watched some highlights, but still. Stroke looked really good. Something about his combination of natural gifts --size, length, speed, athleticism that work together better than most. He looked well coached too. Nice playmaking and awareness. Loved his confidence --comes off as a young man, not a kid.

Highlights usually give you a good feel for a player's ceiling, but not necessarily what you'd get. 247 has him top-25 nationally, which is about where Ayo landed. He's the type of player we've had when the program was elite. Honestly, his game reminds me of the flying Illini. No single amazing skill, but so many high level skills that he's a load. Always good to add a lefty, too.

#1,104      

Deleted member 746381

D
Tevin Mack has withdrawn from the NBA draft and will transfer from Alabama.

This is going to be one to keep on the radar.
Just curious, why do you think Illinois has a chance at Mack? He's not from this area, and it looks like Clemson recruited him pretty hard the first time around. That's close to home for Mack. I'd guess they're the favorites by a wide margin.

#1,105      
Weird possible transfer: Rising senior big man Eugene Omoruyi of Rutgers says on social media that he wants to transfer, right after the school scheduled a game in Toronto for him to play near home. No one there is sure what’s going on.

https://www.nj.com/rutgersbasketbal...eugene-omoruyi-says-he-wants-to-transfer.html

Weird is right. 3 years, makes captain and leads the team, and transfers? Am I correct in thinking he'll need to sit a year? Makes me wonder what's going on.

#1,106      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Weird is right. 3 years, makes captain and leads the team, and transfers? Am I correct in thinking he'll need to sit a year? Makes me wonder what's going on.

Pure conjecture, but situations like this normally arise when a player hates the coach. Mack's earned his free pass, so he's taking it.

#1,107      

jmilt7

Waukegan
Yes, he has to sit out a year according to this article:

https://www.app.com/story/sports/college/2019/05/29/rutgers-basketball-eugene-omoruyi/1268151001/

Also according to the article: "The circumstances of this move are highly unusual. May 29 is late for a transfer. Rising seniors with one year of eligibility left rarely switch schools unless they’ve graduated early and can seek a postgrad season without sitting out (not the case with Omoruyi). And Omoruyi has been Rutgers’ undisputed leader, a model teammate who seemed to be flourishing on the banks."

#1,108      
Weird possible transfer: Rising senior big man Eugene Omoruyi of Rutgers says on social media that he wants to transfer, right after the school scheduled a game in Toronto for him to play near home. No one there is sure what’s going on.
Total guess, but I see he is 6'7", one article calls him big man, comment he had added 3 pt range, ...I bet someone in his ear says he needs to play more wing to have a shot at the NBA & Rutger's needs him as more of a big.

#1,109      
Total guess, but I see he is 6'7", one article calls him big man, comment he had added 3 pt range, ...I bet someone in his ear says he needs to play more wing to have a shot at the NBA & Rutger's needs him as more of a big.

Sign him up! We are playing everyone on the wing!

#1,110      
Tevin Mack has withdrawn from the NBA draft and will transfer from Alabama.

This is going to be one to keep on the radar.

Staff is on him. Lots of schools are going to get involved. He was at Texas before he went to Alabama. I have heard we’ve got a shot. Not saying it’s a good one.

Last edited:
#1,113      
Hope you are right, but we felt the same way about Whitney. The blue bloods are definitely sniffing around and if he continues to blow up, things could change.

Very much agree. Take nothing for granted. Recruiting is fluid, about relationships, chickens hatching, birds in the bush, beach houses, and being tall without shoes on.

As for my analysis & commentary: You're welcome

#1,114      

sacraig

The desert
Hope you are right, but we felt the same way about Whitney. The blue bloods are definitely sniffing around and if he continues to blow up, things could change.

Who felt that about Whitney? If I recall correctly, we kept hearing people say that he was an Illini lean unless Kentucky came calling. To the best of my non-premium, non-insider ability to discern, that's pretty close to what happened.

#1,116      

Deleted member 643761

D
Staff is on him. Lots of schools are going to get involved. He was at Texas before he went to Alabama. I have heard we’ve got a shot. Not saying it’s a good one.

If staff wants him, great. But I won't get very excited about adding a junior who averaged 9ppg. obviously, he brings depth which is important. but the stats aren't much to get giddy over.

#1,117      

Whitney was coming until UK got involved. We cannot compete with UK for players.

Same situation with Miller. If UK or Duke get involved then we have reason to be concerned. I don’t think they will.

Louisville is gonna be in the thick of it. Might be our biggest competition as of right now along with Michigan. Howard is gonna be tough to deal with on the recruiting trail.

#1,118      

whatahack

St. Peters MO

Seems it might be even more of a challenge if we don't have any OVs left.....

#1,120      
It a class kinda like ayo were it the blue blood arter going after the top 15 range of pg then look at Adam Miller as a backup option or it could be that the blue blood knowed that ayo was going to Illinois all only

#1,121      

Tacomallini

Washington State
Whitney was coming until UK got involved. We cannot compete with UK for players.

Same situation with Miller. If UK or Duke get involved then we have reason to be concerned. I don’t think they will.

Louisville is gonna be in the thick of it. Might be our biggest competition as of right now along with Michigan. Howard is gonna be tough to deal with on the recruiting trail.
Someone needs to let him know UI made a 2 for 1 deal with MIF then.

#1,122      

Deleted member 649710

D
AJ Griffin named to the USA U16 squad. Pretty cool.

I have seen a couple of the kids who made the squad play live as freshman (one is a classmate with my children; another plays at a rival school); they are clearly more developed athletically their most of their peers, but both still have a lot of skill and mental developing to do.

#1,124      

Deleted member 654622

D
AJ Griffin named to the USA U16 squad. Pretty cool.

Do we have a feel for this recruitment yet? Are we going to be legit players or no? Looking for something outside the "well his older brother plays here"

#1,125      

You have to remember that Whitney was not shy about telling people that Kentucky was his dream school even before Illinois was considered the favorite. So Kentucky didn't just drop in at the last minute and sweep him away. I hope he does well, but I also hope he made the wrong choice. I haven't heard that Miller has a dream school, except he has always seemed warm to Illinois (so maybe we are his dream school ?, anything's possible)

Status
Not open for further replies.