Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (May 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,126      

Deleted member 631370

D
Whitney was coming until UK got involved. We cannot compete with UK for players.

Same situation with Miller. If UK or Duke get involved then we have reason to be concerned. I don’t think they will.

Louisville is gonna be in the thick of it. Might be our biggest competition as of right now along with Michigan. Howard is gonna be tough to deal with on the recruiting trail.

Aaaaaaand there's the caveat I've been waiting for.

No personal offense to you. I don't doubt that you're just passing along information. But this is the classic "recruiting is fluid" comment that leaves the door open for what I suspect will be the inevitable. If Miller is the talent that we think he is, those big names will come calling. And then, it's over.

These schools have the luxury of swooping in relatively late. Is there any reason why we don't think they'll do so in this case?

I know of what I speak. After all, I'm a #VerifiedInsider.

#1,128      
Total guess, but I see he is 6'7", one article calls him big man, comment he had added 3 pt range, ...I bet someone in his ear says he needs to play more wing to have a shot at the NBA & Rutger's needs him as more of a big.

Sounds plausible. He averaged 7.2 rebounds a game, two full boards ahead of our leader, Giorgi, though any NBA future would probably be as a big wing. Rutgers fans are bumfuzzled. Pikiell went to Toronto today to try to change his mind.

#1,129      

Courier

C
Someone needs to let him know UI made a 2 for 1 deal with MIF then.
The guys we made the deal with aren't the type to keep their promises. The same ones were involved in a deal that involved a hat. You might remember it. I'm not saying Miller won't sign with Illinois. I just wouldn't trust those guys.

#1,130      

illini80

Forgottonia
Who felt that about Whitney? If I recall correctly, we kept hearing people say that he was an Illini lean unless Kentucky came calling. To the best of my non-premium, non-insider ability to discern, that's pretty close to what happened.
It must be exhausting looking for benign comments to disagree with. 🤣

#1,132      

Deleted member 631370

D
Because there's prospects that are better than AM they will prioritize and likely land before they get to him?

If Miller keeps having the AAU season he's already having, he's probably going to wind up a top-15 prospect. When was the last time a Chicago kid with that kind of ranking didn't attract the blue bloods?

Schools like UK that experience massive turnover every year aren't going to limit themselves to 1 PG or 1 SG in any given class.

#1,133      
If Miller keeps having the AAU season he's already having, he's probably going to wind up a top-15 prospect. When was the last time a Chicago kid with that kind of ranking didn't attract the blue bloods?

Schools like UK that experience massive turnover every year aren't going to limit themselves to 1 PG or 1 SG in any given class.
First the peach jam to start so after that the aau season over and it a very deep point guard class so he can get mixed up. Also I know that Miller is the biggest traget for the team but imo I think that marcus Watson should be a huge target for the team. He lead the eybl in assists and can score st the rim

#1,137      

Deleted member 4960

D
And if we win this year with the nucleus of Ayo Kofi and Giorgi, we will still have a very good chance

#1,138      
First the peach jam to start so after that the aau season over and it a very deep point guard class so he can get mixed up. Also I know that Miller is the biggest traget for the team but imo I think that marcus Watson should be a huge target for the team. He lead the eybl in assists and can score st the rim

I agree. Watson can really ball. I came away insanely impressed with him after EYBL in Indy. I think he maybe 15 plus assists and at least 5 steals in the game I watched. Elite passing ability, and he was really great defensively. Easily one of the fastest kids with the ball on the circuit. Him and Miller play so well off of each other. His stock is going to soar if he has a good Peach Jam. I know FSU and Texas are keeping in contact already.

Staff wouldn’t find having an all MIF class from what I have been told. Chin is really laying the ground work on those kids, and BU has just gotta close. I wouldn’t be surprised at all with Watson, Miller, Kalkbrenner. :shield:

#1,140      
Hope you are right, but we felt the same way about Whitney. The blue bloods are definitely sniffing around and if he continues to blow up, things could change.

Whitney didn't play HS ball with Ayo and Da'Monte like Miller did and Miller never said he had a dream school like Whitney said about UK. Not the same situation.

#1,141      
It's spurring debate because everyone has a different sense of where the Mendoza line is. In baseball the Mendoza line is a hard number, easy to see if someone is above or below it. Recruiting isn't as clear cut as that and IMO we are talking in circles.

Mendoza is well known for playing a full season and hitting under .200, which is really tough to do. Getting a top 50 center who was 3rd team All-EYBL is really tough to do on the high side. So it's not even apples to oranges, it's more like apples to watermelons, a really bad comparison.

#1,142      

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
Mendoza is well known for playing a full season and hitting under .200, which is really tough to do. Getting a top 50 center who was 3rd team All-EYBL is really tough to do on the high side. So it's not even apples to oranges, it's more like apples to watermelons, a really bad comparison.
I would argue that this is really easy to do, as I could definitely do it.

#1,143      
I would argue that this is really easy to do, as I could definitely do it.

I am sure you could hit less than .200, but the trick is to be on a team that has no other option so you do not get sent back to the minors within the first couple of weeks of doing it.

#1,146      

The Recruit

The Eternal Optimist
Denver, CO
Respectfully, if you are talking or responding about the Mendoza line, please start your comment by putting "Mendoza: ..." so I know to skip over and not read as I am coming here to look for current recruiting news for Illini basketball. Thanks!

#1,149      
The guys we made the deal with aren't the type to keep their promises. The same ones were involved in a deal that involved a hat. You might remember it. I'm not saying Miller won't sign with Illinois. I just wouldn't trust those guys.

Ayo was MIF. There's no reason to think the current staff is on bad footing there.

Status
Not open for further replies.