Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (May 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

How ready are we for the next chicago 5 star talent on MIF to go to WIU?

Not that it needs reminding, but a certain special someone coached there as an assistant from 1992-2003....

If you can’t see the writing on the wall as an Illini fan here, then I don’t know what to tell ya, you might be as blind as bat! Because frankly, this has Illini hand-writing written all over it! 🧐 🖋

With the potential of possibly having a top ten team this year, you’ve always got to have the next home run hitter in line coming through your “farm system” especially when you know you might lose one of your best to free agency most likely this coming year! 🤷🔸🔹

Deleted member 29907

D
Not that it needs reminding, but a certain special someone coached there as an assistant from 1992-2003....

If you can’t see the writing on the wall as an Illini fan here, then I don’t know what to tell ya, you might be as blind as bat! Because frankly, this has Illini hand-writing written all over it! 🧐 🖋

With the potential of possibly having a top ten team this year, you’ve always got to have the next home run hitter in line coming through your “farm system” especially when you know you might lose one of your best to free agency most likely this coming year! 🤷🔸🔹
Well then, let the chips fall where they may, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. This is fun. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Put me in the blind as a bat category. Are you saying Western becomes a farm team or they will get all the recruits? If the rule is changed for one free transfer, it would be a great strategy to develop talent without using scholarships. Could change the face of college basketball.

Put me in the blind as a bat category. Are you saying Western becomes a farm team or they will get all the recruits? If the rule is changed for one free transfer, it would be a great strategy to develop talent without using scholarships. Could change the face of college basketball.

Oh my. Has everything to do with coaching and nothing to do with recruits.

I believe he was referencing Nick Irvin developing as a coach to eventually come here.

Not sure about the free agency part as all our assistants just got extensions.

Lest we not forget that there are many many middle men in Chicago and that Mike Irvin is the King!!

I believe he was referencing Nick Irvin developing as a coach to eventually come here.

Not sure about the free agency part as all our assistants just got extensions.
Got it! Assistants got extensions but that doesn’t stop them from leaving. Orlando’s stock as a recruiter isn’t being lessened. Question to me does he still hold head coaching aspirations or is he satisfied in his role?

High major Omaha Biliew moves to Arizona, up to five offers

The 6-foot-7, 200-pound forward is a high level athlete with good size and length who recently moved from Des Moines (Iowa) Dowling Catholic to Phoenix Hillcrest Academy.

“I’m an all-around player,” Biliew said. “I play defense - I’ll guard the other team’s best player - I can play the one through five and I can slash and shoot.”

Biliew arrived in Arizona with offers from Iowa and Nebraska. He quickly picked up three more from Arkansas, Georgia and Illinois.

https://247sports.com/college/illin...basketball-recruiting-Omaha-Biliew-147160325/

I believe Lowell Hamilton was rated #1 in his class.

Either Street & Smith's or The Sporting News had Lowell #1 in the preseason. The other had Ben Wilson. Ed Horton was postseason Mr. Basketball. Both Lowell and Horton were McDonald's AA's and probably consensus top 10 recruits.

In my lifetime wouldn't the U. of I.'s top basketball recruits be Efrem Winters or Marcus Liberty ?

Depending on the source; either Liberty, Dennis Scott, Eric Manuel, or Larry Johnson was #1 in the 1987 class. Liberty got the most publicity because Dick Vitale plugged him.

Efrem was the MVP of the McDonald's All American Game. However, fellow McD AA and Illini recruit Bruce Douglas was Illinois Mr. Basketball. Bernard Jackson of Phillips was a surprise as the Chicago area player of the year. Billy Thompson was probably the consensus #1 national recruit.

JJE

Bethalto, IL
Nope on Hamilton. Not even #1 in Illinois that year. Horton was.
Fosters silent verbal on the zoom call unfortunately was just him talking for awhile without realizing he was still on mute. 🤦‍♂️ Zoom meeting strikes again!

Status
Not open for further replies.