Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (May 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still don’t get the Foster plan to stay in HS. Obviously, I don’t have all the facts, but if his plan is to play one more year of HS school then go G League, sincerely good luck to him. Seems risky to me.

First of all, the G League has only signed 5 select players so far. There isn’t much established precedent to rely on when projecting this as an available option a year from now.

Second, these select contract players do not know which team they’ll play for when they sign, so with the contract there is loss of autonomy.

Third, there’s rumors of the NBA eliminating the age limit in 2022, Foster’s draft year, and adding a 3rd round to the NBA draft. See link at the end.

This is just my personal take, but I would rather enter that 2022 draft as a 19 year old, up against the top 18 and 19 year olds, with tape from 60+ college games, and 2 NCAA tournaments, and 2 years in a collegiate strength program. He’ll also have had at least one year financially benefiting from NIL rule changes.

I’m not so much against the G League as I don’t understand limiting yourself playing another year of HS just to have the opportunity to sign a 5 month G League Select contract in a year. I can’t really make sense of that. The opportunity cost seems much too high to me for a wait and see option a year from now of maybe being offered a G League contract for maybe more than he would’ve earned via NIL in college.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffsiegel/2018/10/19/nba-g-league-select-contract-breakdown-ncaa/

I still don’t get the Foster plan to stay in HS. Obviously, I don’t have all the facts, but if his plan is to play one more year of HS school then go G League, sincerely good luck to him. Seems risky to me.I’m not so much against the G League as I don’t understand limiting yourself playing another year of HS just to have the opportunity to sign a 5 month G League Select contract in a year. I can’t really make sense of that. The opportunity cost seems much too high to me for a wait and see option a year from now of maybe being offered a G League contract for maybe more than he would’ve earned via NIL in college.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffsiegel/2018/10/19/nba-g-league-select-contract-breakdown-ncaa/
Looks like they are making it more lucrative for some players.

California high school star Jalen Green, the No. 1 prospect in the 2020 ESPN 100, is making the leap to a reshaped NBA professional pathway program -- a G League initiative that sources say will pay elite prospects $500,000-plus and provide a one-year development program outside of the minor league's traditional team structure. https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...player-jalen-green-enter-nba-g-league-pathway

It's a definite possibility Ayos not 100 percent either way yet but Kofi coming back ayo possibly

Ayo has been pretty adamant about the process. I think he will waits to see if there will be one or not. Does Ayo really need to be back for summer workouts? No probably not.

I still don’t get the Foster plan to stay in HS. Obviously, I don’t have all the facts, but if his plan is to play one more year of HS school then go G League, sincerely good luck to him. Seems risky to me.

First of all, the G League has only signed 5 select players so far. There isn’t much established precedent to rely on when projecting this as an available option a year from now.

Second, these select contract players do not know which team they’ll play for when they sign, so with the contract there is loss of autonomy.

Third, there’s rumors of the NBA eliminating the age limit in 2022, Foster’s draft year, and adding a 3rd round to the NBA draft. See link at the end.

This is just my personal take, but I would rather enter that 2022 draft as a 19 year old, up against the top 18 and 19 year olds, with tape from 60+ college games, and 2 NCAA tournaments, and 2 years in a collegiate strength program. He’ll also have had at least one year financially benefiting from NIL rule changes.

I’m not so much against the G League as I don’t understand limiting yourself playing another year of HS just to have the opportunity to sign a 5 month G League Select contract in a year. I can’t really make sense of that. The opportunity cost seems much too high to me for a wait and see option a year from now of maybe being offered a G League contract for maybe more than he would’ve earned via NIL in college.

Not bashing your opinion at all, but I think most people do want and enjoy their senior year of high school. With that being said, I know these 5-star athletes are almost famous already and maybe don't care as much as some. Obviously, I know that tons of people don't like school, but still, it's a bit strange to me to see all these people just end high school early.

Then again, I’m a relational person and these guys are changing schools and aau programs every year, so maybe it’s easy.

Gonna be a good next week to be an Illini fan :cool:The dream scenario with both returning seems to be playing out very nicely
Boy oh boy just imagine. Ayo receives feed back he needs to work on his jump shot and get a little more athletic:
Ayo takes the ball up the court and hits them with a hesi crossover for a two handed dunk all over some poor soul, then takes the ball up on the next play and hits a pull up 3. Now that they respect the jump shot he hits them with a pump fake, blows by and throws a lob to Kofi.... Orange krush goes crazy and somewhere in the distance Fran is crying 😭😭

Gonna be a good next week to be an Illini fan :cool:The dream scenario with both returning seems to be playing out very nicely

I'm torn. Not sure if I'm happy to be an Illini fan or not. If the rumor you're eluding to is true that Ayo and Kofi are back....I'm excited for next year, but saddened for them and us that we weren't able to send them to the NBA. Let's say Ayo plays like he did and was as big of a difference maker as he was for us, but for say...Duke or UNC or Kansas....no doubt he would be a draft pick despite his "limitations". The exposure, that we were unable to give him and the discount the scouts put on our program, really sucks! What does that show a player like Foster who is seeking to find a spot where he not only makes a difference, but that he gets noticed and is promptly given respect for what he's able to do? Maybe I'm making this all up in my head, but I wanted to see them both have success as well at the next level...even if that puts us at a bit of a disadvantage next year. Ideally it would be Ayo to the NBA and Kofi with another year to develop and really make a splash nationally.

I'm torn. Not sure if I'm happy to be an Illini fan or not. If the rumor you're eluding to is true that Ayo and Kofi are back....I'm excited for next year, but saddened for them and us that we weren't able to send them to the NBA. Let's say Ayo plays like he did and was as big of a difference maker as he was for us, but for say...Duke or UNC or Kansas....no doubt he would be a draft pick despite his "limitations". The exposure, that we were unable to give him and the discount the scouts put on our program, really sucks! What does that show a player like Foster who is seeking to find a spot where he not only makes a difference, but that he gets noticed and is promptly given respect for what he's able to do? Maybe I'm making this all up in my head, but I wanted to see them both have success as well at the next level...even if that puts us at a bit of a disadvantage next year. Ideally it would be Ayo to the NBA and Kofi with another year to develop and really make a splash nationally.

Ayo and Kofi were both ranked 30+ in their class coming out of high school. The fact that Illinois is developing them into NBA prospects is huge and speaks to our coaching staff's development. There's a lot of guys in the same range who are no longer in the conversation. Both will get drafted eventually and that will be great for the program, but as fans, we can also enjoy if they both come back and we have a legitimate shot at a BIG championship and Final Four.

Talent evaluators for the NBA do not care where you played. I also think Ayo's talent would have been overlooked or hidden at a Duke, Ky, or Kansas. With all that said, I would love to see Ayo stay in the draft and get drafted. It would absolutely complete a great story for a great kid, as well as lead as an example for future Illini. Kofi would absolutely benefit from another year at Illinois, and learn the game better and develop that baseline 12 footer.

Not trying to pick on you, but this is absurd. The NBA is way too pressure packed for scouts and GMs to lose their job over school loyalties or perceptions. Picks have to be successful at the NBA level or you don't look like much of a GM.

The draft is a lot like the stock market in that it's a game of expectations for the future. From what people have said, that's trended badly for Ayo in the run-up, most likely over his shooting and T/Os, combined with the lack of workouts. He certainly has the other tools you'd want. His future really depends on changing perceptions. The NCAA tournament should have been that opportunity, but nothing can be done about that now. He's a high character guy, and he'll continue to mature. As a fan, I really think he deserves to hear his name called before the first round is over, but if he's projected mid to late second round, that's dicey, and maybe not the best time to take your chances. Being an unprecedented time doesn't help either --you could imagine a scenario where revenues drop, salary decisions are short-sighted, and teams don't take chances on development that they normally would.

The way the season ended hurt Ayo a lot, as there was no postseason play. Kofi declared to just put his name out there, he has been back for a while and that will be set in stone soon. Ayo knows that he may not get drafted, and why take that risk when you can come back and compete for a national championship while improving his stock to a guarenteed pick.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
The way the season ended hurt Ayo a lot, as there was no postseason play. Kofi declared to just put his name out there, he has been back for a while and that will be set in stone soon. Ayo knows that he may not get drafted, and why take that risk when you can come back and compete for a national championship while improving his stock to a guarenteed pick.

addtext_com_MTgwMzIwOTI0NA.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.