Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (May 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sacraig

The desert
Talent evaluators for the NBA do not care where you played. I also think Ayo's talent would have been overlooked or hidden at a Duke, Ky, or Kansas. With all that said, I would love to see Ayo stay in the draft and get drafted. It would absolutely complete a great story for a great kid, as well as lead as an example for future Illini. Kofi would absolutely benefit from another year at Illinois, and learn the game better and develop that baseline 12 footer.

giphy.gif

Not bashing your opinion at all, but I think most people do want and enjoy their senior year of high school. With that being said, I know these 5-star athletes are almost famous already and maybe don't care as much as some. Obviously, I know that tons of people don't like school, but still, it's a bit strange to me to see all these people just end high school early.

Then again, I’m a relational person and these guys are changing schools and aau programs every year, so maybe it’s easy.

I was going to post something similar. Everyone is always in a rush to use these kids and not let them enjoy being kids. And I realize as you noted that all these transferring of schools and AAU teams would suggest otherwise and that every situations is different but going through your senior year of high school with all the friends you grew up with is pretty special.*

*College was better but I'm glad I got to enjoy both.

I Bomb

Stylin' and Profilin'
I was going to post something similar. Everyone is always in a rush to use these kids and not let them enjoy being kids. And I realize as you noted that all these transferring of schools and AAU teams would suggest otherwise and that every situations is different but going through your senior year of high school with all the friends you grew up with is pretty special.*

Until some kid from New Jersey moves to town and screws it all up

altenberger22

South Carolina
DaJuan Wagner is the grandson of Milt Wagner of Camden New Jersey, who teamed with fellow Camden star Billy Thompson at Louisville (under Denny Crum). Milt and Billy starred with "Never Nervous" Pervis Ellison during Louisville's 1986 NCAA championship run. Great genes!!!

However, DaJuan's dad was also great and played at Memphis before entering the NBA. DaJuan will be a tough one to get.

That's a bad model IMO. Thanks for the link btw --your comments didn't have enough context until I read it. I would echo a couple things:

Not having a team is going to affect player development. Colleges may not be for everyone, but you get to choose a coach you like and trust, and they have a ton of incentive to develop you the best they can. Even if you hate academics, North Carolina will make sure you get the grades ;) G league play seems like a free for all in comparison to college.

I'm really speculating here, but the money seems uncompetitive if they've only picked up 5 guys. Having read so many scandals and rumors, and contracts guys have signed abroad, that seems like low-balling guys who are chasing money or pride for having signed professionally, especially if you consider tax vs under the table benefits. And looking at opportunity cost for those who aren't looking to cash-in, college seems pretty safe vs G league. Colleges have a ton of staff for all aspects of development, great medical staff, trainers, etc., and the atmosphere can't be beat. You can also get professional insurance, if you're in that elite group of potential lottery picks.

I’m not so much against the G League as I don’t understand limiting yourself playing another year of HS just to have the opportunity to sign a 5 month G League Select contract in a year. I can’t really make sense of that.

Yeah, the G league is trying to improve, but this looks like a smaller step than they made it out to be. Makes me think the owners haven't committed to the idea of a farm system, or see the long term value of it growing the brand.

That's a bad model IMO. Thanks for the link btw --your comments didn't have enough context until I read it. I would echo a couple things:

Not having a team is going to affect player development. Colleges may not be for everyone, but you get to choose a coach you like and trust, and they have a ton of incentive to develop you the best they can. Even if you hate academics, North Carolina will make sure you get the grades ;) G league play seems like a free for all in comparison to college.

I'm really speculating here, but the money seems uncompetitive if they've only picked up 5 guys. Having read so many scandals and rumors, and contracts guys have signed abroad, that seems like low-balling guys who are chasing money or pride for having signed professionally, especially if you consider tax vs under the table benefits. And looking at opportunity cost for those who aren't looking to cash-in, college seems pretty safe vs G league. Colleges have a ton of staff for all aspects of development, great medical staff, trainers, etc., and the atmosphere can't be beat. You can also get professional insurance, if you're in that elite group of potential lottery picks.

Yeah, the G league is trying to improve, but this looks like a smaller step than they made it out to be. Makes me think the owners haven't committed to the idea of a farm system, or see the long term value of it growing the brand.
Underestimating what dedicating every waking hour to basketball can do for your game and not wasting time with school. The competition is a leagues better as well.

Underestimating what dedicating every waking hour to basketball can do for your game and not wasting time with school. The competition is a leagues better as well.

Is there any evidence that the G league is better at developing talent? Certainly up to now, most elite kids have chosen college despite the lack of pay.

Is there any evidence that the G league is better at developing talent? Certainly up to now, most elite kids have chosen college despite the lack of pay.
The G league have graduated many to the NBA rosters, but have never competed as an 18 yr old development ground. I believe that with the right model, a year long 24/7 development NBA bootcamp program should be intriguing to 18 yr olds. They need a fletch clone, if they can get one.

Last edited:

sacraig

The desert
The bottom line is that, in the past, the G-League has played second fiddle to the NCAA. But they're overhauling it and the legal paycheck combined with the ability to train all the time instead of focusing on class is intriguing.

The G league have graduated many to the NBA rosters, but have never competed as an 18 yr old development ground. I believe that with the right model, a year long 24/7 development NBA bootcamp program should be intriguing to 18 yr olds. They need a fletch clone, if they can get one.
Coaches are actually ok with these kids going to the G league..
I know our staff would rather have a 4 star recruit come in and play 3 or 4 years rather than have a 5 star one and done.. I mean one and dones can be beneficial but for what one year? No thank you get the majority of one and done out of college into the g league and let the smoke settle.. in the end I believe it will be beneficial to us as it will level the playing field over time.

The bottom line is that, in the past, the G-League has played second fiddle to the NCAA. But they're overhauling it and the legal paycheck combined with the ability to train all the time instead of focusing on class is intriguing.
It’s intriguing sure, but there’s still no guaranteed contract. How many careers will die in the G League? The thing we are forgetting is that next year NCAA players can start earning money. I think (hope) that will help counter the Instant monetary gratification that’s being offered from the g league. We shall see..

sacraig

The desert
It’s intriguing sure, but there’s still no guaranteed contract. How many careers will die in the G League? The thing we are forgetting is that next year NCAA players can start earning money. I think (hope) that will help counter the Instant monetary gratification that’s being offered from the g league. We shall see..

How many careers die in the NCAA? It's never a sure bet. If you have a chance to train 24/7 as much as your motivation allows instead of classes, that can be very advantageous

How many careers die in the NCAA? It's never a sure bet. If you have a chance to train 24/7 as much as your motivation allows instead of classes, that can be very advantageous
Do you actually no someone whose career died in the ncaa?

sacraig

The desert
Do you actually no someone whose career died in the ncaa?

What does that matter? If the career goal is the NBA, then lots of NCAA players have had that goal die while playing in the NCAA. Are you actually trying to argue otherwise?

Status
Not open for further replies.