Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (May 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kendrick Nunn

Not disagreeing, but he did average nearly 26 ppg at Oakland. It could be argued that GMs wanted to see how he competed against more-likely-to-be pro talent in G league before signing a contract. In that case, it's not development he needed: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/kendrick-nunn-1.html

Then again, it could be that development in the G league is exactly what he needed. However, you can't say that definitively without substantiation.

What does that matter? If the career goal is the NBA, then lots of NCAA players have had that goal die while playing in the NCAA. Are you actually trying to argue otherwise?
I am not trying to argue, I just thought you meant players stayed in college too long and it cost them a chance in the NBA.

Is there any evidence that the G league is better at developing talent? Certainly up to now, most elite kids have chosen college despite the lack of pay.

I'm friends with a part owner of a G-League franchise, who's been able to see for a few years just how many players have "graduated" to the NBA. Short answer: not many. Most G-League players are simply hoping for a 10 day contract, so they can make the NBA minimum for 10 days. Also, the quality of play isn't as great as you'd think and if you're looking for players with proper mechanics, team play & decent defense, look elsewhere. All this means is: The G-League isn't very good at being a Developmental League. JOMO.

sacraig

The desert
I am not trying to argue, I just thought you meant players stayed in college too long and it cost them a chance in the NBA.

I am sure that does happen at least a little bit but why would that be relevant if you are trying to compare the developmental value of NCAA vs. G League?

Melo Trimble comes to mind.

No idea if NBA people really would have drafted him high early in his NCAA career, but it seemed like everyone talked about him being NBA bound, and then.....not anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.