Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (May-June 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,705      
Many scouting reports of Brown coming out of Cal was that he succeeded in spite of the Cal offense, not because of it.

As with every player to ever play Keady ball. There are players who did well enough, but its hard to imagine how good they could've been if they had offensive sets and philosophies that were actually effective. Problem with most systems are they emphasize one or two areas so much that unless run to perfection, are going to eventually fail--especially when playing talented teams. Adaptation is the name of the game (or domination, but that one is much harder to teach).

#1,706      
ChiefIllini — “Keady Ball” — I knew I should have tried to protect that. An expression I’ve often used, unfortunately, oftentimes during Weber’s last years.

What perfectly exemplifies “Keady Ball” ? Picture a post-game interview after Purdue loses 12 — 10. What does Gene say ? “If only our defense had been better.”

#1,707      
Many scouting reports of Brown coming out of Cal was that he succeeded in spite of the Cal offense, not because of it.

I don't disagree. I was just pointing out to another poster who was arguing one and done's couldn't be showcased in his offense. As usual that's just a lazy way of complaining about the mistake every player makes who chooses to go elsewhere.

#1,708      
Have you seen Cuonzo's offense?

I have, and it's not great. BU's system isn really beneficial to bigs though, and I don't see how anyone could argue against that. As good as OK St was offensively last yearr, and they were great, they didn't didn't have a forward or big average even 9 PPG. There's a reason we're signing super talented guards (Mark Smith, Trent, and DaMonte) and reaching for a big ranked in the 400's.

#1,709      

Deleted member 10676

D
[FONT=&quot]THT5 Retweeted [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Illini Creative‏ @IlliniCreative 1h1 hour ago [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Playmaker. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]#Illini [/FONT][FONT=&quot]#WeWillWin
[/FONT]
DB6Tk_AW0AAa-ya.jpg

#1,711      
I have, and it's not great. BU's system isn really beneficial to bigs though, and I don't see how anyone could argue against that. As good as OK St was offensively last yearr, and they were great, they didn't didn't have a forward or big average even 9 PPG. There's a reason we're signing super talented guards (Mark Smith, Trent, and DaMonte) and reaching for a big ranked in the 400's.

I agree for the most part, but that last statement is an absolute reach.

We took Greg because he fits the system, has a connection to one of our coaches and because few players are available right now. If you thought we were getting a top 25 big for 2017 idk what to tell you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1,713      
Chris Holtmann‏Verified account @ChrisHoltmann Jun 7
Team #120 arrives in 2 weeks!An important summer!

If I'm reading this tweet correctly (this tweet has Butler fans really ticked off btw) the players weren't scheduled to arrive for 2 weeks which would put them more in a Jeremiah Tilmon/Javon Pickett category than a Kipper Nichols category.

Don't know that for sure but that's how I would read it.

I am friends with one of the Butler recruits for 2017. They were not surprised by the move, and were notified ahead of time about it. He and the other recruits were not supposed to arrive on campus for 2 weeks like you said, but he fully expects Kyle Young from Ohio originally, to follow Holtmann to tOSU.

#1,715      
I have, and it's not great. BU's system isn really beneficial to bigs though, and I don't see how anyone could argue against that.

Arguments against that

1) rim running for transition dunks is very big friendly, also showcases full court potential to NBA teams

2) every possession allows for the bigs to play multiple handoff/pick and rolls. Also a skill NBA teams want to see showcased, and skills that bigs need for literally every offense.

3) after the roll, bigs will post. If they're not open initially, they will repost on the first ball reversal for a high low look. This is what many would see as "traditional" big man play, and they'd get to show off low post game.

4) the high post is the hardest area on the floor to guard. Develop an elbow j and one dribble moves to the rim and you're an NBA type big. Work on your game to the point where you also feel comfortable as one of the perimeter 4 and you're an inside/outside big, you're definitely an NBA type.

#1,718      

FeelTheLovie

Louisville, KY
We knew these offers and interest was coming but doesn't mean it's not scary. Cash, we still good?

I can't imagine why he wouldn't end up at an elite program. Fun to wish these kids to Illinois, but for their career it doesn't make much sense.

#1,719      
I can't imagine why he wouldn't end up at an elite program. Fun to wish these kids to Illinois, but for their career it doesn't make much sense.

Comments like this are so stupid.

Yes, if all of the best players from Illinois go out of state then Illinois will not be "elite."

However, when Illinois has gotten the best players from the state (Flyin' Illini and 2001-2006 to name two times) they were elite and they put players in the NBA.

There is NO reason that the Fighting Illini can't compete with any program in the country.

#1,720      

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago

There's been a persistent rumor that Ayo and Charlie Moore won't play together in college. He may end up at an elite program, but I don't think it will be Kansas.

#1,721      
There's been a persistent rumor that Ayo and Charlie Moore won't play together in college. He may end up at an elite program, but I don't think it will be Kansas.

Have to agree here. The only other BB programs I see that would interest him would be Duke or UK.

#1,722      
THT= Kendall Pollard 2.0?

i think pollard was more athletic but less of a shooter, iirc. i dont remember if he was as good a playmaker as tht, but he also played with Jabari Parker so his opportunities in that vein were fewer and farther between. I do think he did a lot of the little things though.

#1,723      

Glory Days

Palmetto, FL
If we hope and dream for the Illini to ascend to the highest levels of college basketball, we have to sit at the table with Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina, and Kansas in terms of recruiting.

As good as Underwood may be at Xs and Os, he can't make chicken salad out of chicken droppings.

So, with the bar set high, settle in and get ready to battle the blue bloods. Their place on top of the mountain is well fortified, and getting to the top will be a bloody, dirty, hard earned achievement.

Illini will get punched in the coconuts but have to counter punch in a coconuts.

I believe under Josh Whitman's leadership that it will happen. The non conference basketball schedule is already looking much stronger.

#1,725      

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Wow what a defeatist attitude. How quickly we forget our history. Illinois is a proud program that has competed on the biggest stage among the best of them, and it will again.

Status
Not open for further replies.