Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (May-June 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would seem that way, but I think a result of Underwood's 7 second "philosophy" is a lot of quick shots, resulting in fewer assists than one might expect. For instance, Okie State was #6 nationally in scoring last season but only #96 in assists. We're loaded up on point guards, but I don't know that will make much of a difference considering how the offense is designed to operate.

I think there were probably a bunch of assist opportunities in transition and the half court, there always are. It's just that if you're ok st last year you want jawun Evans to have the ball in his hands for as many shots/attacks as possible. Maybe having the point guard as the primary scorer was more responsible for those numbers than anything else. At SFA the assist percentages for their offense were 13th, 4th, and 4th in the NCAA.

IlliniDent

Chicago, IL
I think there were probably a bunch of assist opportunities in transition and the half court, there always are. It's just that if you're ok st last year you want jawun Evans to have the ball in his hands for as many shots/attacks as possible. Maybe having the point guard as the primary scorer was more responsible for those numbers than anything else. At SFA the assist percentages for their offense were 13th, 4th, and 4th in the NCAA.

Exactly, especially if it is a team loaded with ballhandlers and passers. They open up so many more opportunities that it leaves players open. If only we can land a player like JT (I know, not getting my hopes up but still), it would open everything up even more.

Mark Smith was a huge get in terms of having the right amount of ball handling guards that can make this offense run. Getting a player like Ayo on top of it would be incredible. Could only imagine having 3 of Ayo, Smith, Frazier, TJL, Damonte, JCL all on the court at one time. Could basically have 2 complete squads at the 1-3 positions with a more traditional SF/PF at the 4 (DJW, Kipper, Black/Finke) and a big at the 5 (for now Finke/Black but hopefully someone like JT or another high 4* big will get on board in the next year). I'm not ruling out AJ but he's going to have to take a significant jump if he wants to get PT at the 1-3 spots.

HC Illini

HC Illini
I'm not as optimistic about getting Ayo as many people on this forum seem to be. When was the last time we got a top 25 player out of Chicago? Just doesn't seem like we will be a main option for him after the blue bloods come calling. I hope I'm wrong.

Ayo is coming

Last edited by a moderator:

cash35

Easton, Il
I'm not as optimistic about getting Ayo as many people on this forum seem to be. When was the last time we got a top 25 player out of Chicago? Just doesn't seem like we will be a main option for him after the blue bloods come calling. I hope I'm wrong.

You're wrong

icengineer

Southern Illinois

Ayo is coming

I've no idea how you can be so sure at this point in the recruitment. I'm happy to see the confidence though. I hope he is ours as well.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
https://twitter.com/NoahNewmanWAND/status/861013005890449408

[FONT=&quot]Noah Newman‏ @NoahNewmanWAND [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mark Smith receiving his Mr. Basketball trophy tonight... Says it's a dream come true. Also says he's been talking to his friend Jeremiah.[/FONT]

giphy.gif

Both Ayo and THT made mention that the new coaching staff had seen and talked to more than anyone from Illini had B4. New staff is building a line of communication with Chi-town, coach Coleman is in good and is reason we have to be very optimistic on the future recruits from the city. Not sure when the last time we had top 25 from the city, but that will change. I do know we got Mr. Basketball 2017.:illinois:

Ubermensch

BOOM! Feed my ego.
Both Ayo and THT made mention that the new coaching staff had seen and talked to more than anyone from Illini had B4. New staff is building a line of communication with Chi-town, coach Coleman is in good and is reason we have to be very optimistic on the future recruits from the city. Not sure when the last time we had top 25 from the city, but that will change. I do know we got Mr. Basketball 2017.:illinois:

Yeah, I don't know much about recruiting, but I know it'll be pretty disappointing to not get both Ayo and THT at Illinois.

Andrew Slater & Jerry Meyer with CBs to us for Ayo today. Prob just reading our board again and picking up some of our confidence, but still....got to cheer for some news of late.

I understand your pessimism regarding the recruitment of a top 25 kid from Chicago but have a good feeling about this one we are looking good here imo.

We're looking good right now but there is a long way to go. I'm not trying to rub anyone the wrong way with my pessimism, I'm just stating that people on this board are really confident and it's still really early. Illinois might be the sure leader right now, but his offer list will be growing very soon.

I understand your pessimism regarding the recruitment of a top 25 kid from Chicago but have a good feeling about this one we are looking good here imo.

In Kramer we trust! I'm going with you here. You're usually spot on.

Oh I get it HE is the one waiting for the Kentucky offer only to turn them down for the beloved. :hand:

Well, it did just kind of happen...:confused:

Now if Ayo wants to start some sort of wierd Illinois Mr. Basketball tradition and do the same thing then I'll take it, but those early commits are easier on my heart.

Most of us on here will bleed orange til the day we die but given all the misery and misfortune we've endured it would be insane to not be at least moderately guarded with our optimism. Hell if he got engaged to one of Underwood's daughters I'd still be worried til the opening game of his freshman year.

icengineer

Southern Illinois
I don't think HC and CASH are guessing. They are usually spot on with their information.

I don't think they are either. BUT, what's true today has turned out to be false tomorrow more times then I care to remember on here. That aside, you couldn't really ask for 2 more solid posters to be posting something like that, so there's that. :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.