Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (May-June 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 236589

D
My understanding is that he can't sign another NLI- what's the trigger for Miznoz to even be allowed to comment?

Enrolling into the University I'd guess? I'd imagine with HS wrapping up, he could probably fill out that paperwork soon.

With their commitments and Porter re-classing....Tilmon minutes will have him buried on the bench until year 2 at best...good luck to him at Mizzou, I think he will find he will need it when all is said and done.

Illinois is not just dangerously thin, we're flat out void of players who can compete in the paint on either end. Maybe Black is equipped to play physical, but outside of that...it's bleak. This team is undersized even by MAC or MVC standards.
See, this is exactly where I am. You can spin it by saying "Underwood plays small," etc. The reality is that we still will be obligated to defend teams that do not play small. Black is still something of a foul machine and Finke won't be able to hang with the bruisers.

IlliniDent

Chicago, IL
All true but seriously there are people on here acting like there was some likelihood that he was going to re-commit. Why anyone would allow themselves to be punched below the belt a second time is ridiculous. At some point even if there is a positional need, you gotta stop and move on. There are a ton of Charlie Browns on this board that have been returning to try to kick the proverbial Tilmon football.

It is possible to have realistic expections and hope at the same time...

It is possible to have realistic expections and hope at the same time...
And Tilmon wasn't that situation.

EDIT: in fact, I think Mark Smith personifies the attitude you're referring to. Hoping that he would be the next Mr. Basketball to stay home... even while the likes of Izzo and Calipari were in his ear. That's reason to temper your expectations with a generous helping of hope.

Last edited:
See, this is exactly where I am. You can spin it by saying "Underwood plays small," etc. The reality is that we still will be obligated to defend teams that do not play small. Black is still something of a foul machine and Finke won't be able to hang with the bruisers.

You're totally right, we're going to be physically disadvantaged on defense. But if we can keep the tempo up then hopefully we can mitigate some of this and wear out bigs.

IlliniDent

Chicago, IL
And Tilmon wasn't that situation.

Sure he was, when we landed Smith it wasn't insane to think Tilmon could consider us while at the same time totally expecting him to commit to Mizzou. I don't get why everyone freaks out if someone says something positive or hopeful as if we need babysit other people's feelings.

I hopedwe landed Tilmon Bc of what it would do for our team, but when he committed I just shrugged and moved on. Really wasn't all that difficult.

Ubermensch

BOOM! Feed my ego.
Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Hg3fi5R.png

BLloyd2311

Los Angeles
JT is a baller wish he would of came here. IMO he will be in the NBA in 2 to 3 years. BU & company will bring talent in so even though the lost does hurt short term, long term we will be cool. Want be surprised if we get a better big in next years class. Just got a lot of faith in this staff.

The replies to that would be pretty hideous. Hope for his sake and Illini reputation he doesn't tweet anything.

This was meant it's done. Not that I was happy. BU said he's not going to beg anyone . Good luck, JT. Time to find a big.:illinois:

Last edited by a moderator:

jmilt7

Waukegan
Sure he was, when we landed Smith it wasn't insane to think Tilmon could consider us while at the same time totally expecting him to commit to Mizzou. I don't get why everyone freaks out if someone says something positive or hopeful as if we need babysit other people's feelings.

I hopedwe landed Tilmon Bc of what it would do for our team, but when he committed I just shrugged and moved on. Really wasn't all that difficult.

Agreed. Plus we were told that Smith was in contact with Tilmon presumably to entice him to Illinois. I don't know how true that was. So, on the one hand there was a glimmer of hope but realistically we, or I, didn't really expect it.

NEIlliniFan

No longer in New England
Tilmon was gone for me when he asked out of his NLI. Would have been very happy to welcome him back but I didn't waste a moment thinking he'd reconsider.

I don't hope he does well, I don't hope he does lousy. He's off my radar in the same way an ex-boyfriend would be.

Next.

Thank goodness this recruitment is over! Tired of hearing his name pop up with every discussion. I'm glad he made his decision and wish him the best of luck in getting to where he wants to be. I also wish we had a big, but I think he didn't really want to be an Illini anyways, so I'd rather have someone who wants to be in orange and blue!

Other teams that play with true 4s are going to have that guy guarding one of our guards >=20 feet from the basket? I'll take that trade all day every day. I think our primary concern is big depth for foul purposes as you point out with Leron, matchups secondary as you point out with Finke.

Also defensively, a guard is probably able to apply pressure with quickness at a greater level than a big in general. This will help us apply better ball pressure all over the court and be able to really go for deflections and get out in passing lanes. The defensive trade-offs aren't all bad.

I think he waited for the heat to die down to commit . Don't want to commit RIGHT after Cuonzo drops off the money bag to his sister

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
Not meh - huge loss for what is Illinois's biggest need. Top rated big men are hard to get and Illinois spent years recruiting Tilmon. Illinois dangerously thin with big men next season.

We need a big or two, I'll agree. Top rated big men are hard to get. They are also hard to judge by their ratings. Some live up to their ratings, others don't.

I don't think Cuonzo has had a track record of improving big men, but maybe this time it will be different. Seems like JT was more comfortable with CM and Miznoz. His decision.

We'll see how he develops during his time in Columbia. Best of luck to him.:chief:

Other teams that play with true 4s are going to have that guy guarding one of our guards >=20 feet from the basket? I'll take that trade all day every day. I think our primary concern is big depth for foul purposes as you point out with Leron, matchups secondary as you point out with Finke.

Also defensively, a guard is probably able to apply pressure with quickness at a greater level than a big in general. This will help us apply better ball pressure all over the court and be able to really go for deflections and get out in passing lanes. The defensive trade-offs aren't all bad.

It would be ideal if we had a shot blocking 5 to cover up our pressure breakdowns.

Not sure if you're trying to make a joke here, but it doesn't matter.

I hope this is what happened! Kind of funny thinking about it.

"Just gonna delete this before I decommit........and there we go...*retweet*....aww crap!......I'll just give it a few days before I decommit."

Mostly joking, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Status
Not open for further replies.