Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (May-June 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAHALL15

Central Illinois
I dont know how an exception to the rule negates that argument. There is not a single better metric to evaluate a prospect than offer lists. It's trusting guys with their livelihoods and millions of dollars at stake to make these decisions. Consider other things sure but dont just handwave offer lists away because someone once did better than their offer list may appear they might.
Exceptions. And I didn’t “hand wave them away.” I actually said that there two sides to that argument, not that it was all malarkey.

I do think BU gets paid the big bucks to evaluate talent because as he said before, he doesn’t care about rankings (i.e. offer lists) nor does Huggins or Frank Martin. I could name some coaches not on that tree who obviously take a holistic approach as well.
Okoro to Oregon getting ready to go down. Sorry all

9pm, y’all. https://twitter.com/dwilliams1515/status/996066562674188289?s=21

Maybe I should clarify what I meant: By 2019, I didn't mean the 18-19 season. I meant the 19-20 season. If he goes three straight years of not making the tournament, I'm hoping off the BU train. I don't think they should (or will, barring some extremely poor seasons) fire him after 19-20 if we miss post season play, but all the pressure is on in 20-21. I'm all for giving every head coach here 4 years to prove he build a quality team, and obviously more, but the circumstances will have to show positive growth.

I expect a lot of growing pains this upcoming season. Hard to not blame BU partially for current roster situation, but the vast majority isn't on him. He's done a decent job of getting talent in this class (especially considering when he got it), but I would've liked to have seen another commit or two during the early signing period. Would've showed this staffs ability to close talent early, rather than chase it late. A lot left to write in BU's tenure, but to say he's been anything but average so far would be a stretch.

A project never tuns into a product, if you never start it. We have a few started on this team, but internal competition is a vital component of driving these young men to become better.
A fifth year is fine, but when was the last time we had one who made any kind of impact? I'm not sure who this impact fifth year guy is that everyone is pining for, because he doesn't seem to exist.
I just don't think this team is ready to compete for a B1G title for a couple of years. Until we do, it's going to be difficult to land big guys who are 4 & 5 stars, because EVERYONE needs them. If we bring in a number of lower rated guys now, in a couple of years we may have found enough diamonds in the rough to compete in the front court with the other teams in the conference that are landing those types of players.

I do think BU gets paid the big bucks to evaluate talent because as he said before, he doesn’t care about rankings...

Of course he does, they all do, and there is definitely correlations with rankings, despite some meaningless comparisons (e.g., Kane's coach dumb comments about players ranked 265 vs. 278 as proof that rankings do not matter). All coaches want highly ranked players because there is correlation with talent.

BU certainly wants the Okoro's and the Liddell's of the world, just that he can't currently get those, so he has to try to do the best he can from what he can get. There is also little evidence that BU has a better eye spotting talent that "fits" his systems as most of his own choices last year (i.e., Alstork, Smith, Vesel) did not pan out.

Too many projects? Certainly, but we have no choice. It is is simply a numbers game. We can't get the highly ranked players so the more projects we get, the higher the chances that at least some may end up good. Call it whatever you want, but the rest will likely transfer, as many players do every year in college basketball.

Underwood, got two top 100's and a top 150 recruit. A 3 star named Kane who i think is going to be a good player. Not bad at all.

sacraig

The desert
Yeah, I am honestly cautiously optimistic about his recruiting given the dumpster fire of a program he has to sell.

Perhaps Underwood did everything he could do to get Okoro to stay here, but do you really blame a kid for getting out of the area - especially going to Oregon with their facilities and being spoiled rotten by Nike?

Underwood doing a good job. Players he has brought in are bigger and more talented than ones who have left. I'm sure they are much tougher physically and mentally as well. At some point in the future - he will get the Big our program needs.

GolfFan1 - I hope you are right. I will give you the benefit of the doubt! ;)

Tacomallini

Washington State
A project never tuns into a product, if you never start it. We have a few started on this team, but internal competition is a vital component of driving these young men to become better.
A fifth year is fine, but when was the last time we had one who made any kind of impact? I'm not sure who this impact fifth year guy is that everyone is pining for, because he doesn't seem to exist.
I just don't think this team is ready to compete for a B1G title for a couple of years. Until we do, it's going to be difficult to land big guys who are 4 & 5 stars, because EVERYONE needs them. If we bring in a number of lower rated guys now, in a couple of years we may have found enough diamonds in the rough to compete in the front court with the other teams in the conference that are landing those types of players.

Sam McLaurin and pre-injury Mike Thorne both played key roles on their respective Illini teams. Would be happy with any 5th year big that can put in a few minutes rather than roll the scholarships, especially as we're all expecting to be a fouling machine next year down low.

Last edited:
Sam McLaurin and pre-injury Mike Thorne both played key roles on their respective Illini teams.

Mike Thorne looked like the real deal. McLaurin provided exactly what this team needs next year. Getting someone like McLaurin would do this team wonders.

Take a deep breath guys. The Illini have a true seven footer for the first time since pre-groce era. They have the best player from Morgan Park and Mac Irvin Fire in modern times. They signed Tevian Jones and the Number 1 pg in JC. Plus two unknowns Alan Griffin and Georgi. Quite a haul for Underwoods first year on the job. He got a bonafide Center and a PG, something the prior staff couldn't get in years. If this team dosen't finish in the top half of the Big this year, I will be suprised.:illinois:

I believe you hit the nail on the head. I hope they keep the scholarships for next year

CAHALL15

Central Illinois
Interesting. I know he's had a couple very good weekends on the EYBL circuit, but I'm not convinced quite yet. He's long and athletic, but his skill needs a lot of refinement, especially his ball-handling and shooting.

This is a good offer. Unlike Groce, BU isn’t going to strike out on everyone. They will definitely do all they can to get Whitney, but having backup plans isn’t a bad idea when it comes to the wants and thoughts of teenagers.

I believe you hit the nail on the head. I hope they keep the scholarships for next year

Why would Underwood keep offering bigs if he felt that we could move on and focus on 2019?

Looks like we just offered another MIF player. 2019 Terrence Shannon Jr.

https://twitter.com/Tshan35/status/996133641947418625?s=19

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

We have a lot of offers out for next year, most will be non committable. E J , and Whitney, are main targets, EJ is probably less likely of the 2. I know all just think we must have the high ranking recruits , and we have got one this year. Sending offers to MIF guys is going to happen. Hopefully we get the ones we want, BU, in the meantime will work with what we have. Having ones that fit and have potential, are much better than highly ranked ones that don't, or won't, and 5th year players that act like they want to , then come in a disrupt the whole system. These kind can lead to a disastrous outcome and have a major effect on a team and make team have a losing season.;):illinois:

Remember true commitable offers are tied to OV. I'm sure they are exceptions to top tier talent.

Take a deep breath guys. The Illini have a true seven footer for the first time since pre-groce era. They have the best player from Morgan Park and Mac Irvin Fire in modern times. They signed Tevian Jones and the Number 1 pg in JC. Plus two unknowns Alan Griffin and Georgi. Quite a haul for Underwoods first year on the job. He got a bonafide Center and a PG, something the prior staff couldn't get in years. If this team dosen't finish in the top half of the Big this year, I will be suprised.:illinois:

One of the reasons I read this board is to cheer me up. I believe there is a good chance of us finishing last in the BIG next year, and the chance of finishing in the top half about 1%. Its good to know that maybe I am too pessimistic. Thanks GolfFan1:thumb:

sacraig

The desert
Remember true commitable offers are tied to OV. I'm sure they are exceptions to top tier talent.

Well if that's true, then I guess we are not capable of giving out commitable offers right now?

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
One of the reasons I read this board is to cheer me up. I believe there is a good chance of us finishing last in the BIG next year, and the chance of finishing in the top half about 1%. Its good to know that maybe I am too pessimistic. Thanks GolfFan1:thumb:

If we finish last in the B1G next year, I will run through my house with scissors AND a sharp pencil...

giphy.gif

Sam McLaurin and pre-injury Mike Thorne both played key roles on their respective Illini teams. Would be happy with any 5th year big that can put in a few minutes rather than roll the scholarships, especially as we're all expecting to be a fouling machine next year down low.

Unless we end up being a much better team than most expect next year, I’d rather take a few L’s and develop young players versus giving meaningless time to a 5th year on a team going no where (next season).

We’re not going to get the truly elite bigs until we start winning. This year’s recruiting class is already a huge step forward for the program but we still have a lot of work to do.

We’re not going to get the truly elite bigs until we start winning. This year’s recruiting class is already a huge step forward for the program but we still have a lot of work to do.

Elite bigs are few in number. There are many bigs , that have potential, and are developed into good or better with right system, coaching and culture. ATM, these are the ones we will get, so all should hope they will fit, and become good asap.
Myers Leonard might be considered one of these, and in recent history, and he has flourished. Not being overly optimistic, trying to point out, these types of players come from anywhere, timing , seems to be the thing that places them where they land.
Our system doesn't require them to be a great scorer, but does ask them to defend , rebound, and handle the ball. We have some pretty good guards, let them score, and the let Ebo, Samba, Georgi develop. Hope Braun comes with to join the party.:):illinois:

Status
Not open for further replies.