Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (May-June 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,901      

PJD86

Texas
This guy seems like a perfect fit for what we want to do. (this late in the game)

#1,902      
Good grief... All of those great coaches, K, Boeheim, Izzo, Calipari, all yell and scream at their players.

Apparently no one seems to remember Underwood coming off the bench at a time out and firing up players after they made a good play or great hustle???

Underwood and his demeanor is fine. He both praises and yells at players. If those players can't handle it, then they aren't the players to play in this system. I'm with Desert Illini. Unless he starts going full on Bobby Knight, he's fine.

Yep, let me know after he starts throwing chairs. Winning cures all.

#1,905      

AEX

Danger Zone
Recruits see results and outcomes, not necessarily how you got there. Recruits see that many people are leaving the program, including pretty much all of Underwood's own recruits in his first year, in addition to having a terrible team last year. They would have the same concerns if those two things were happening even if Underwood was babysitting players and cracking jokes every second of practice.

Good point. The number of players leaving the program has the more immediate impact on perception. Still, you can imagine that the next question in many people's minds would be, "why are all those players leaving," which may lead back to the present conversation. It's a quintessential beating-a-dead-horse conversation, as it's difficult to resolve and, I imagine, comes down to personal preferences.

Glad to see the Higgs offer. He's listed as a 6-8 SF. Wonder if he has any experience playing center.

#1,907      
Why does 247 show that he committed to VA Tech after visiting them, yet shows the Illini offer 3 days later.

#1,909      

Dbell1981

Decatur, IL
Agree to disagree on how much fun it is to watch a 14-18 team.

I'll take Bruce Weber trying to win games 36-35 and actually pulling it off most of the time over that.

Um I believe he pulled that off once with Selfs recruits. Nice try though. Webers games were brutal to watch at the end of his tenure and if you say otherwise you are just being naive or playing devils advocate. We get you don't like Underwood but let him develop a team of HIS players. Lets revisit this conversation in 3-4 years and see if he is just the kind of coach YOU and a few others couldn't handle. People say he lost all of his recruits as if he had time to develop long relationships with these kids. He had playing time to offer mid major talent. Of course these days there are fewer players that can handle his style of coaching but let's not write his off after 13-14 months because he is striking out on targets that haven't had our offer for longer than 3 months. He will find gritty players earlier in the process and start landing some. I can't wait to see Ayo, Trent, and Tevian playing in your face- tough nosed basketball. Go Illini!

#1,910      
Why does 247 show that he committed to VA Tech after visiting them, yet shows the Illini offer 3 days later.

Reports were that he did but Higgs tweeted out that those reports were false

Per Illini scout 247 article about his offer from us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1,912      
Webers games were brutal to watch at the end of his tenure and if you say otherwise you are just being naive or playing devils advocate.

If we had an exact replica of the year that got Weber fired next year, you and most of this board (probably me too, to be honest) would be praising to the heavens that we had found the right coach and it was onward and upward.

That's just reality. That's what has happened to this program.

#1,913      
It is hard to be optimistic that we will prevail vs. the field with no ov's left. There are plenty of good schools sniffing around and showing interest in these late rising prospects. Butler, Xavier, K State etc.

#1,914      

Dbell1981

Decatur, IL
If we had an exact replica of the year that got Weber fired next year, you and most of this board (probably me too, to be honest) would be praising to the heavens that we had found the right coach and it was onward and upward.

So now you can see the future! Like I said, give him 3-4 years. Last year he picked up the pieces(recruits)from coach softie. They couldn't hack it. That's okay, he will find some like I said. And I already think we have the right coach so you've got me all wrong there too. We went from an overly soft coach to a hard nosed coach. Everyone is willing to wait on a full rebuild in football but they need instant results in basketball. I've got faith in Underwood and Whitman so I'll be there cheering them on and witnessing the turnaround even if it takes until Trent is a senior and Tevian is a junior. So pet it play out is all I'm saying.

#1,917      

ILL in IA

Iowa City

Record not included, I think it will be easy to tell what direction this program is trending under BU next season if you are paying attention. Just like it was easy to tell what direction the program was headed under BW the last season in C-U.

#1,924      
When do we just cut bait and move on to the next class? He was already behind in this class. Lets get off this ride and move on.

It's a good point though that all of our competitors have been able to dedicate 100% of their recruiting man-hours to future classes for months now.

#1,925      

sacraig

The desert
If I honestly sit down and think about what I'd do if I was a parent or other adult with Zdor's interest at heart, I'd have advised him to go elsewhere. It was clear he was a stopgap, and the last stopgap player(s) we had under this staff lasted one year. If I'm Zdor's parent or guardian, I probably would tell him that success at Illinois is a long shot, especially given who we MIGHT be able to get next year.

I'm not saying that's what happened, but the logic holds and it's a much simpler answer than all the other hand-wringy ones that have been posted here so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.