Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (May-June 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,152      
:thumb:
Thanks. Did not see that article. Pretty much everything I have read calls him a 2019, but it will be interesting to see what he wants to do. I'd certainly rather have him as a 19 but with open scholarships I would imagine we would take him either way.
I think the faster our offered recruits can get on campus and learn this very complex system, the better...especially if he can contribute a little and be a co-lead recruiter for Whitney.

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk

#2,154      
I think the faster our offered recruits can get on campus and learn this very complex system, the better...especially if he can contribute a little and be a co-lead recruiter for Whitney.

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk

Absolutely. There is zero benefit to UI for him to go to a prep school for a year. The only benefit for him would be if he thinks he can continue to improve and get better offers which he has every right to do and may very well be the case.

#2,160      
Am well aware. Was responding to an OP that had pencilled Liddell into our '19 class.

FWIW, not suggesting staff should stop recruiting EJ. Just that I'm expecting bad news.

Saddened but not surprised to read your post. Thanks for posting.

Assume that the staff does not stop in their efforts, especially as they have surprised a few times recently by pulling a rabbit out of their hat, even without official visits to use as a tool. By the time EJ makes a decision, we should be fully re-engaged in the process with visits, etc. They have a tough job, making the UI relevant again. Can't be shocked when a top talent is underwhelmed during our transformative period

#2,164      
Hope we add Shannon to this ('18) class.

If you can get him now you've gotta take him now, but the problem you run into is putting so many guys in the same class at the same position that the chances of keeping them all together become slim.

Modern major college basketball programs have to choose one of three options: 1. constantly exporting underclassmen to the NBA, 2. maintaining class balance to bring guys along through the ranks, or 3. cope with constant transfers out.

1 is great if you can do it. 2 has proven to work. I haven't seen many good sustainable versions of 3.

#2,165      
If you can get him now you've gotta take him now, but the problem you run into is putting so many guys in the same class at the same position that the chances of keeping them all together become slim.

Modern major college basketball programs have to choose one of three options: 1. constantly exporting underclassmen to the NBA, 2. maintaining class balance to bring guys along through the ranks, or 3. cope with constant transfers out.

1 is great if you can do it. 2 has proven to work. I haven't seen many good sustainable versions of 3.

Well 1 isnt currently attainable and BU has spoken to the unimportance of class balance. So that basically leaves us at 3.

#2,166      

Yeah I actually think adding him to 2018 does more harm than good. 5th-yr big or bust for 2018 right now.

#2,167      

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
Not sure why Trice is a head-scratcher to people. Pretty clear that we passed, or at least didn't push very hard. We were the only P5 school recruiting him for a good while, but just kept dragging him along. If we had to do it over, given the transfers/Kane situation, I'm guessing we would have taken him, but hindsight is 20-20.

Just to put a bow on it, I don't think missing out on Trice is a big loss given that the staff is taking a longer-term prospective on the rebuild. Trice was/is a borderline high-major prospect. He would have given us rebounding and another body on defense, but not much else.

#2,168      

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
Not sure why Trice is a head-scratcher to people. Pretty clear that we passed, or at least didn't push very hard. We were the only P5 school recruiting him for a good while, but just kept dragging him along. If we had to do it over, given the transfers/Kane situation, I'm guessing we would have taken him, but hindsight is 20-20.

Just to put a bow on it, I don't think missing out on Trice is a big loss given that the staff is taking a longer-term prospective on the rebuild. Trice was/is a borderline high-major prospect. He would have given us rebounding and another body on defense, but not much else.

Good point. And the highlight footage I saw was a guy with his back to the basket. He looked like he ran the floor decently, but not sure if he's a pinch post kind of guy. He rebounded well, but not sure of his defense, either. Of course how much defense do you see on a highlight reel?

Giorgi is a couple of inches taller, and I'm guessing longer, and a couple of years more eligibility.

Not a bad tradeoff.

Where did Trice go? K State? I think he'll do well there. Should be a good fit.

#2,169      

foby

Bonnaroo Land

Same as the chance that all of them contribute this year, or grow into high performing players down the road. Just like popcorn in the pan, you throw them all in, and those that pop get eaten......well, you know what I mean.

#2,170      
Same as the chance that all of them contribute this year, or grow into high performing players down the road. Just like popcorn in the pan, you throw them all in, and those that pop get eaten......well, you know what I mean.

I know what you mean, but then you've always got more scholarships to fill, you're always scraping against the OV limit, you've always got a ton of freshmen on the team, you're always having to spend tons of time on the basics in practice, there are a variety of associated costs.

Underwood is right when he says that class balance is becoming yesterday's news in NCAA basketball, but for me, it's the programs that resist that tide the best that will have a leg up.

#2,171      

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
I know what you mean, but then you've always got more scholarships to fill, you're always scraping against the OV limit, you've always got a ton of freshmen on the team, you're always having to spend tons of time on the basics in practice, there are a variety of associated costs.

Underwood is right when he says that class balance is becoming yesterday's news in NCAA basketball, but for me, it's the programs that resist that tide the best that will have a leg up.

Hopefully by getting the kind of players/young men that he wants in his program will lead to less turnover and more stability. Still early in the building process.

#2,173      

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
Yup, that's my hope too. But stacking a ton of guys at the same position in the same class makes it tough.

Do you mean guard? Wing? I think on the outside, 1 through 3, I think you can play multiple combinations. Even over to the 4 for some.

I don't think we'll ever see the kind of turnover we did this offseason. But there will still be the transfer here and there. That's just the nature of the college game these days, as transfers everywhere are increasing.

Status
Not open for further replies.