Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (May-June 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IlliniDent

Chicago, IL
:noidea:

I'm trying to keep my version of the take to a lukewarm temperature here, because we don't have all that much information yet.

But we traded something for something in hiring Chin Coleman. X for Y. We already know X includes Ayo Dosunmu, which is great! We also know THT was part of Y, which is unfortunate. We will find out more about the equation as we move on.

The THT issue wasn’t a MIF issue. We didn’t bind ourselves to MIF when we picked Ayo over THT, we bound ourselves to Ayo

Last edited:
Tell me which of the best Simeon players attended Illinois vs. other schools in the last 15 years and convince me there was any kind of "pipeline."

Fair enough, too strongly worded. Rose and Parker would probably be the big two in the past 15 years. Still, Calvin Brock and Kendrick Nunn were nice pieces. Also doesn't help we've been crap for a decade. I wouldn't expect any talent like Rose or Parker to come here--in Rose's case, lots of smoke during that recruitment, and lots of controversy since. Not saying I wouldn't ahve wanted him here, but trouble followed. Parker was what, 2012? Squarely at a time we hired a MAC coach. Still surprised we pulled Kendrick.

But yeah, we haven't had a pipeline in years. We do have a lot of history with Simeon however.

sacraig

The desert
The question is whether we still have any access to non-MIF players in Chicago, or worse, Chicagoland. And whether any such issues last beyond the Underwood administration.

The idea that hiring a guy with MIF ties would somehow mean we can't get players from any other Chicagoland program is just pure silliness. Put down your drink and go outside.

So its pretty well known that the THT thing had not much at all to do with the MIF and much more to do with personal issues with Ayo. You can make that choice when forced to between kids that are never going to play together (and they made the right one) without all this teeth knashing over being too beholden to the Irvins.

My understanding as well

sacraig

The desert
Tell me which of the best Simeon players attended Illinois vs. other schools in the last 15 years and convince me there was any kind of "pipeline."

Well, we didn't get Parker, but we got the guy who fed Parker the ball? That's, like... not last place, right?

The THT issue wasn’t a MIF issue.

To me that's very tightly clinging to a thin reed of rather dubious spin in service of a broader narrative.

Ayo Dosunmu's Recruitment is a larger body than just Ayo Dosunmu himself, and MIF is an inextricable part of that body.

But again, I don't want to overheat the take because there is a lot we don't know, particularly about what it all means going forward.

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
Nobody gave Underwood an ultimatum to hire Chin Coleman in the first place. Nor did anyone give him an ultimatum to go full bore into THT's recruitment. Those were free choices.

I tend to agree that the right choice was made once the ultimatum point was reached, but it didn't have to get there in the first place.

Underwood has constructed his program to get Ayo and Kahlil Whitney and Adam Miller. Gotta go do it, and if you can't, gotta rethink the construction.

And let's not forget that MIF isn't our only connection with Adam Miller. He grew up in Peoria, around the Manual guys and DMW.

I am not sure we have burned any bridges beyond repair PARTICULARLY if the program starts winning. Secondly if really want to be a winning program on a high level then we cant rely on Chicago or Illinois for that matter alone. I like the national approach that the current staff seems to be taking. Of course results on the court will ultimately define success or failure.

Tevo

Wilmette, IL
Well, the premise that "a solid coach will get the most out of the players," obviously did not work with Mark Smith, Vesel, and Alstork, with the same solid coach.

I am less of a believer that we'll somehow outsystem and outsmart some of the other excellent coaches in the B1G and nationwide, or that we somehow have some magical powers to find the diamonds in the rough at much higher rate.

Frazier was not recruited and signed by BU, but did great, whereas the aforementioned players ended up mediocre at best. Deron, Dee, Augie, Powell and Luther did fine under Weber as well, despite not recruited/signed by him either. So good players, independent of rankings, will likely do well under many systems, although there is indeed a correlation with rankings, so we do need the Okoro's, the Liddell's, and Miller's of the world to become consistent contenders. Let's start with one of them... :thumb:

I've said before that good players will tend to be better in any system and with any coach, than less-good players. But a HUGE part of how well a kid performs individually, and how well a group performs together, is dependent on chemistry -- how they get along with and are in synch with the coach and with each other. This is how a Porter Moser can take a team to the Final Four without having sniffed that level of success with any of his previous teams, and without any players that were super highly regarded before. And it's how a certain Pro can switch teams and suddenly have very different individual stats and contribution to the team's success.

They can call it "recruiting to a system" but it really comes down to recruiting guys with similar mindsets and attitudes, and skills that compliment each other, and then developing (and hoping for) the chemistry between them so that they can just go play with speed, skill and confidence.

Given that a lot of that chemistry will be luck, you try to start with the best players possible, and with an effective system, so that even if the chemistry isn't top notch, you'll still have success. If you happen to hit the chemistry lottery too, then your team is "special".

No visit to Illinois this weekend. Look for one early next week.

Maybe I've miss judged it, but it seems like Miller is the recruit we sold our soles for. If we can't get the Irvins to deliver on Miller we messed up. He is the must get in my mind.

The Irvins don't owe us anything in the future. We made Ayo a priority as we should have and we signed him. The end.

If the absolute best situation for Adam Miller is to go to a blue blood (not saying it is), I would hope the Irvin's would encourage that. It's BU and the staff's job to present why UI is what's best situation for his future.

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
The Irvins don't owe us anything in the future. We made Ayo a priority as we should have and we signed him. The end.

If the absolute best situation for Adam Miller is to go to a blue blood (not saying it is), I would hope the Irvin's would encourage that. It's BU and the staff's job to present why UI is what's best situation for his future.

Good point. The only thing I would expect from the Irvin's and for that matter, any club, is an honest chance to meet with them and any players that play for them. Good relationships are beneficial for both sides of this equation.

+1

I would expect this to be the case, and expect the Irvin's to handle their influence with their players based on individual circumstances. Pipeline = pipe dream. Not saying we won't get more MIF players, just that it will be on a case by case basis.

t7nich

Central IL
No visit to Illinois this weekend. Look for one early next week.

Pushing it out a little further towards a possible decision date could be the thinking here. If so, not a bad idea.

If we land Okoro to go with The other 6, look out Big Ten, We are coming. I haven't been this excited since Dee and Deron. :thumb::shield:

Eh, I fell into this trap when we got Quentin Snider and Leron to commit and then Cliff announced his official visit thinking we were "back"

But if we get Okoro it'll be hard for me not get that feeling again!

You know Ked didn't say that since there would have been pages of insiders on here saying that we had a lock on Liddell. Instead there's just confusion. Best bet is that neither program gets him anyway.

Who's the best player, Okoro, Miller, or Liddell? KAHIL WHITNEY

All are good players and we would welcome any of them. Hopefully Okoro paves the way , filling the 2018 class. Whitney and Liddell could follow , but have better feeling about Whitney ATM. EJ is gonna have a lot of suitors, blue bloods , making it a drawn out thing. MIF connection will help us with Whitney, then the way things go with Ayo, will help Miller make up his mind.

The situation between Ayo and THT recruitment , was a very unusual situation, which I doubt would ever be repeated. BU had to make the choice, tough one , but was made. This is one time thing that will open doors, not burn bridges.

Our nation wide recruitment is best way to go. Pick from all trees, not just the one. I Feel that is way you could compete with the big boys, with a bigger sampling to chose from. Ayo/Trevain could be compared to a Duo that was recruited sometime back. Maybe next year at this time we be talking about the pieces we adding to complete the puzzle. Would be a conversation this board would hardly be able to stand. ;):illinois:

Status
Not open for further replies.