Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (May-June 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you guys seen the video of Okoro dunking in the gym session? I don't know how much Fletch can build upon that frame, dude is ripped! Maybe add some mass, but dang, there isn't any excess body fat to be had. All that aside, of course there are improvements that Okora can make, but I think anything of a physical aspect is probably a few notches down the list of the Staff's priorities for him to work on. System, footwork, defense, are probably top 3 priorities out of the gate.

I see okoro listed at 6’9 225. Have to think they’d want him at 235-240 for the rigors of big ten play. But I do agree that the physical work is not as obviously necessary as it is for most freshman. What we need from him offensively is to be able to hit the elbow j and score off 1-2 dribbles from the pinch post (this is assuming he can already score in screen/roll situations and lobs).

And then, yes, defense. Hopefully we can get 20 mins a game from him before he fouls out. I’m assuming is per 32 foul rate will be around 7-8 lol

God gives athletic ability. People dont just get it through technology, hard work, facilities, and nutrition. If that were the case our facilities and nutrition and strength program would have illinois basketball the best it's ever been. The same applies to the NBA.

Huh? Nutrition and supplements, strength and conditioning programs, training, medical care, equipment, facilities, resources, opportunities, etc., all have improved creating better athletes in all sports although the ability to differentiate compared to other athletes in your sport diminishes. That is why athletic records continue to be broken, especially in individual sports where performance can be isolated, from the effects of the team.

Illinois provides little differentiation compared to other programs, but more importantly, many of the athletes have created differentiation (evident by rankings) prior to stepping to Illinois or other programs. It is not that basketball starts at Illinois or college. For almost college basketball players/recruits it starts way before they step foot on campus.

As someone pointed out earlier, continuous transformations (like the Greek Freak below) and skills development on basketball players is hardly the act of God, it is the result of hard work as well as improvements along the aforementioned dimensions. Talent may be something that people are born with, given by God (if you are religious), or part of their hereditary DNA, but not the development of basketball skills and athletic ability at the highest level. Otherwise, people (including Illinois, HS, NBA, any level), would not invest resources in S&C, training facilities, equipment, nutrition, sports technology, sports medicine, etc.

It is hardly God that created Antetokounmpo's transformation below, not only his physical transformation, but the skills improvement as well.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/sDY-L69oy2Q/maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So back to recruiting.....

When can we expect Sir Francis on campus this week?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
I would bet no later than Wednesday.

#wewillwinsday?

What could possibly go wrong now!!??

top-176-funny-accident-compilations-gifs-2.gif

So if it's not a broken bone or two, a wood tick will get you. Hope this Wednesday will be neither of those, but will bring Okboro to UI. ;)

Medical care I'll give you in relation to injuries but how much more do you really think players today lift or workout harder than players like MJ and Jerry Rice. They dont. A little tweak in method doesnt equate to massive improvement. How they exercise is basically the same. Players got bigger and stronger then too that notion is nonsense to imply they didnt. Katl Malone or Shaq or shawn Kemp come to mind. You clearly work in athletics it appears. I do too and my friend works with Okoro in Normal as a trainer. Said he is the most gift big player he has worked with since Igudola. If it's all so easy to create ourselves why dont elite players like MJ or Lebron happen more often?
.Now you can respond. I said I was done debating. We can at least agree on good things for our illini in 2018. Now go get Okoro.

Hard work in not a differentiator between athletes in different era, but nutrition and supplements, strength and conditioning programs, training, medical care, equipment, facilities, resources, opportunities, etc. are. But hard work has much to do with development, both athletic ability and skills. Your claim above that it is God that gives the ability and that today's better athletes do not get it "through technology, hard work, facilities, and nutrition" is simply nonsense.

Last edited:
I should have more into the tonight/tomorrow morning, but here’s an update. Possible Okoro visit this week still, will find out more tonight. Michael Cage is likely transferring. So....that ought to get everyone worked up!! Again I’ll post when I have more concrete into, but was told that’s what I could share.

I should have more into the tonight/tomorrow morning, but here’s an update. Possible Okoro visit this week still, will find out more tonight. Michael Cage is likely transferring. So....that ought to get everyone worked up!! Again I’ll post when I have more concrete into, but was told that’s what I could share.

Ok so it appears that the Insider Gods have take pity on us and sent us Mr. Stuemke. Can we please not ruin this?

Well....that's not good news. Wonder if the wheels have started turning.

Ouch, Cage transfer does not sound at all good. Yes, I am Capt. Obvious

That sounds bad. Hopefully Underwood can get him on campus and persuade him.

Im sure its been discussed but are we all out of official visits?

Sorry if this is a dumb question but who is Michael Cage?

My question is if everything is so good at Oregon what is he transferring?

He was forced to RS his freshman year due to injury, then left the team, then returned, then only played in garbage time in just 11 games.

Cage's transfer is not a factor in Okoro recruitment, the Ducks had an opening prior to today's announcement.

Michael Cage was injured in 2016 and had to redshirt and thought about leaving team back in November 2017. So things have been going poorly for Cage since 2016. He now has 3 players that have been added to the team who are likely ahead of him in the depth chart. So with or without Okoro you have a player who has taken a leave of absence and has already been recruited over. Still think this isn't related to Okoro, locals are saying it is Illini. But things can change or be fluid.

Ouch, Cage transfer does not sound at all good. Yes, I am Capt. Obvious

Is Cage really a factor, saw some smoke he might transfer mid last season, & the article that says he is transferring makes a comment that it was expected. What am I missing, why does Cage matter?

nevermind, looks like a few others came to the same conclusion while I was looking at his stats.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.