Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (May-June 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NBB1979

UIUCFAN1
Springfield, IL
"Not an insider, but once after a long night at Kam's, I was insideher"

:thumb: :hail:

I think that we have two priorities: Whitney and Liddell. Those two plus one of any number of long, plus athlete, talented bigs or wings to whom the staff has extended offers (e.g., Cockburn, Tshiebwe, or Quinones), could complete what would very well be deemed a dream class should the staff make it a reality.

But in re: Whitney, I think he is the most likely to commit to Illinois as of today.

I don’t think the Whitney recruitment is in the bag. Blue bloods have been sniffing him out lately, such as Duke; same with Cockburn who is starting to look more like a long-shot.
I’m also hearing the Liddell visit didn’t go so well. The Orange and Blue appear to be his plan C or D. The staff isn’t packing it up, but they have a clearer picture to possibly press harder on other potential recruits.

It baffles me ESPN still hasn’t updated Samba Kane’s recruiting profile.

Still a 2019 uncommitted prospect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It baffles me ESPN still hasn’t updated Samba Kane’s recruiting profile.

Still a 2019 uncommitted prospect

Yes, if you were to rate the raters, you would say that ESPN has below average b-ball iq and not a good motor. At best a 3 star publication

kuhl84

Orlando, FL
Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

I don’t think the Whitney recruitment is in the bag. Blue bloods have been sniffing him out lately, such as Duke; same with Cockburn who is starting to look more like a long-shot.

I’m also hearing the Liddell visit didn’t go so well. The Orange and Blue appear to be his plan C or D. The staff isn’t packing it up, but they have a clearer picture to possibly press harder on other potential recruits.

He (Whitney) will be a 5 star top 20 recruit by end of summer. If by some small miracle he comes to UI, he will be the highest rated recruit in the RSCI era ever to commit here.

Tevo

Wilmette, IL
More minutes for Tevian, remember this is positionless basketball. I’m super pumped for Damone and Tevian. I think Ebo will be improved as well. Very happy with how this team is coming together.

Not sure about Tevian, but I sure hope Damone delivers on the Blue Oyster Cult tickets!

*SIGH* Should of known I was too slow.

EJ33

San Francisco
I think that Whitney is A priority, but he certainly is not THE priority.

I think that we have two priorities: Whitney and Liddell. Those two plus one of any number of long, plus athlete, talented bigs or wings to whom the staff has extended offers (e.g., Cockburn, Tshiebwe, or Quinones), could complete what would very well be deemed a dream class should the staff make it a reality.

But in re: Whitney, I think he is the most likely to commit to Illinois as of today. Not only is he the most likely to commit to Illinois as of today, he is the most likely to commit the earliest (over / under: by the end of Summer). Whitney is good friends with Ayo (they friends and talk often), he has a very good relationship with both BU and Chin, he is a Mac Irvin guy, and while that does not guarantee a commit, given everything else, it certainly does not hurt, and even though he is in NJ right now, he is an Illinois native, which helps with respect to the family being able to see games.

Whitney will be a solid get. He is a plus athlete, he is long, plays above the rim, is decent defender, and is an all around very solid player. As for specifics, he is strong to explosive when attacking the basket, moves well without the ball, has a smooth stroke from 3, and is a plus passer with solid handles.

Joe Henricksen said Whitney would be the #1 player in the state if he still lived here, so I think he's a bit more than a "solid get."

hooraybeer

Pittsburgh, PA
whitney will be a major get regardless of whether it’s to us, duke, kentucky, etc. i think he’s on that level

Yes, if you were to rate the raters, you would say that ESPN has below average b-ball iq and not a good motor. At best a 3 star publication

As others have said, ESPN is pretty bad at covering college hoops recruiting. They probably don't see any money in it and have bigger fish to fry. Smaller sites are far more passionate about it, and have ratings that make sense. ESPN probably has a guy or two who watch a little tape and gauges their pro potential (even that might be generous).

247, scout, rivals all have more to offer.

So people seeing Francis on campus near SFC... All we needed was to get him here. WE HAVE THE LAST VISIT. I believe in the staff's ability to close out on guys. :illinois:

There's really three options I see as to why he would visit at this point:

1. He truly hasn't decided
2. He's covering all his bases--making sure UI really isn't his destination of choice
3. The staff pushed him so hard to visit he's essentially just going through the motions
3b. He's double checking UI is really the place he wants to commit to ;)

Edit: Or people aren't insiders

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL

2. He's covering all his bases--making sure UI really isn't his destination of choice
3. The staff pushed him so hard to visit he's essentially just going through the motions

3c. He used a GPS spoofing app to pretend he is in Georgia when he really is in Champaign, just to confuse us further.

I find that to be the most reasonable option.

For those still discussing the rumored visit (and not willing or able to click on the link's above), Okoro's Snapchat seems to show that he is currently in Georgia.

So let me see if I have this straight:

If we get a visit, he is ours.
No wait, he is only paying us a courtesy visit, he is Oregon's.

That about cover it?

Or...he's made up his mind some time ago and is just take one final visit to Oregon and Illinois before he commits to Purdue...

For those still discussing the rumored visit (and not willing or able to click on the link's above), Okoro's Snapchat seems to show that he is currently in Georgia.

Blargh. Twitter rumors got me again.

If he is visiting I believe the staff are going to go all out. Would expect our AD to sit down with him as well. He might be polite and feel obligated to sit down and thank them for their efforts. Overall think it is a good sign either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.