Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (May-June 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TEYPAY

Springfield
If playing with the guys were really the issue, that can be very easily resolved.

When I was at EIU back in the 80's, the Illinois players used to come to Charleston and play with the Eastern guys fairly often. It was not uncommon to see T.J. Wheeler playing with Jay Taylor on the campus courts.

With B/N being only an hour drive away, the Illini players could simply drive there on their own and play with Okoro for a couple hours. It would be super convenient for Okoro.

Totally agree -- got to play on the asphalt with Jay and Kenny Battle... what a great time!

If we added him, Parker Braun would have the 2nd best offer list of anyone were bringing in. Not sure that says more about the class we're bringing in or Braun himself, but it's something

His offer list might get sweeter due to time of year, the well is dry, and his stock is rising. I can't believe anyone would want Arizona ATM, but I guess, he has satisfied (miller), the school he is clean. Just glad we looking at another big, it will be nice to have another body, and who knows;):illinois:

If we can't get Okoro, I'd be thrilled with Braun. He will need to be handcuffed to Fletch for the summer though.

Are we now looking at kids who average 12 points a game in high school

If we can't get Okoro, I'd be thrilled with Braun. He will need to be handcuffed to Fletch for the summer though.

I’m not thrilled. December 2017 his offers were from semo and Wisconsin Milwaukee. He didn’t start in EYBL. His mom played at Missouri as did his uncle and they didn’t offer. This is clearly a plan C or D.

I’m not thrilled. December 2017 his offers were from semo and Wisconsin Milwaukee. He didn’t start in EYBL. His mom played at Missouri as did his uncle and they didn’t offer. This is clearly a plan C or D.

Miznoz hasn't offered, wait a couple days, Counzo takes a few days to catch up. Now saying Kansas didn't offer, that says lil something more. Think his late bloomer and recent EYBL performance is what is making the noise. Seeing how Okoro is waiting to commit, still doesn't hurt to have plan c. Again who knows, he has size, maybe we can work with him. We need 1 more body, we lost on Golden, this Parker could fit nice, but he better be ready to run. That treadmill has been sitting empty for awhile..;):illinois:

GortTheRobot

North Bethesda, Maryland
Braun looks like the type of player Gonzaga has had success with in their program, I would love to have a guy like that.

sacraig

The desert
Braun looks like the type of player Gonzaga has had success with in their program, I would love to have a guy like that.

As long as he doesn't grow an Adam Morrison pedostache then absolutely.

And shot 73% from the field, 43% from 3 and has an offer from LSU, Ole Miss, University of Arizona. A school that had this past seasons best player. I wish we had recruited the big kid Loyola had last year too. Gosh I wish we had offered that kid. I'd prefer a solid D1 player than losing out recruiting vs Kentucky and Duke. I think Coach can see things other than just stats and stars from BS meaningless stats from the net services.
I recall hearing this type of comment over and over why would we want this or that guy? He doesn't have stars or is transfering from a small school. It wasnt long ago I heard it about Jordan Clarkson of Tulsa and others. Well, we arent the experts. Jordan Clarkson was playing today in the NBA Confernce Finals. I'm sure Coaches love their salaries and wouldn't offer it if he didnt feel the kids out best option right now.

Last edited:
Miznoz hasn't offered, wait a couple days, Counzo takes a few days to catch up. Now saying Kansas didn't offer, that says lil something more. Think his late bloomer and recent EYBL performance is what is making the noise. Seeing how Okoro is waiting to commit, still doesn't hurt to have plan c. Again who knows, he has size, maybe we can work with him. We need 1 more body, we lost on Golden, this Parker could fit nice, but he better be ready to run. That treadmill has been sitting empty for awhile..;):illinois:

I like a big that can catch and finish alley oops and shoot a three. So what if he needs gym time. We know that will improve cause Fletch is the best. Miznoz and others follow Illinois offers. He’ll get a bunch now that we’ve offered. Bottom line we should want guys that fit in Underwood’s system and want to be here.

Checked the Kansas City Star, saw that Parker was part of back to back 6A championships. Going to look for a it more info, but that is one thing that we are looking for, winners. He played on a good team, but was part of the Kansas all-star team , so I'd say he must have some good quality. Hope we have a chance to grab this guy. Maybe a project, but I think if staff likes him, I'm down with it. ;):illinois:

Live here in KC now and kid is right down road.This school produced two Loyola kids.Big time basketball,team has won state championship four of last six years.Low scoring games,but team has won 53 of 60 games last two years,so his stats reflect balanced scoring.Appears that LSU is team to beat.Grew 2 inches and put on 20 pounds this year.Played with Jontay Porter this summer.
His brother is a 6-5 pg (jr.) who is one of top players in Mo-Kansas.

CAHALL15

Central Illinois
If we added him, Parker Braun would have the 2nd best offer list of anyone were bringing in. Not sure that says more about the class we're bringing in or Braun himself, but it's something
Eh, I feel like this argument is two sided. I know it feels good when other programs value someone, but then you have guys like Jevon Carter or a number of recent Wisconsin recruits who have underwhelming offer lists, but turn into killers on the court because they fit the system and are developed properly.
That is why I would question this offer. We do not need another project.

He certainly needs to find the weightroom, but everyone needs to understand the slow development of bigs in the NCAA. Most bigs who are not 1 and dones, take at least 1 or 2 years to develop. There are multiple MCDAA bigs who haven’t averaged double figures as well. Our very own Meyers Leonard averaged 2ppg and less than 2rpg as a freshman.

Going back to your stats argument, should we have offered Taylor Bruninga last year? If you don’t know who he is, he’s a 6’8” big who averaged 33ppg and 11.5rpg. If you do know who he is then you know where he went to college and the level of competition he faced in high school.

Braun is a former guard who had a growth spurt, but maintained his skills and coordination. He’s got long arms, can jump, moves well, and shot 43% from 3. Once he puts some muscle on, he can cause some problems for opposing teams.

If this guy is a project then we need more projects. He has skills, quickness, jumping ability, aggressiveness, length and was a winner. Play him at the three until he gains strength. I don't care what the ratings say.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Live here in KC now and kid is right down road.This school produced two Loyola kids.Big time basketball,team has won state championship four of last six years.Low scoring games,but team has won 53 of 60 games last two years,so his stats reflect balanced scoring.Appears that LSU is team to beat.Grew 2 inches and put on 20 pounds this year.Played with Jontay Porter this summer.
His brother is a 6-5 pg (jr.) who is one of top players in Mo-Kansas.

Good info, thanks.

Eh, I feel like this argument is two sided. I know it feels good when other programs value someone, but then you have guys like Jevon Carter or a number of recent Wisconsin recruits who have underwhelming offer lists, but turn into killers on the court because they fit the system and are developed properly.

He certainly needs to find the weightroom, but everyone needs to understand the slow development of bigs in the NCAA. Most bigs who are not 1 and dones, take at least 1 or 2 years to develop. There are multiple MCDAA bigs who haven’t averaged double figures as well. Our very own Meyers Leonard averaged 2ppg and less than 2rpg as a freshman.

Going back to your stats argument, should we have offered Taylor Bruninga last year? If you don’t know who he is, he’s a 6’8” big who averaged 33ppg and 11.5rpg. If you do know who he is then you know where he went to college and the level of competition he faced in high school.

Braun is a former guard who had a growth spurt, but maintained his skills and coordination. He’s got long arms, can jump, moves well, and shot 43% from 3. Once he puts some muscle on, he can cause some problems for opposing teams.

More insight, thanks.

Why not take a flyer on this kid? We have room and we need bigs. No, he's not ready out of the box. So what?

jmilt7

Waukegan

Agree. I don't understand it. We already have two projects and even Ebo is probably not as far along as we hope. And then two of these four will transfer out next year because of lack of playing time or the fact that they all will be competing against each other for playing time negating the time we have put in to develop them.

Agree. I don't understand it. We already have two projects and even Ebo is probably not as far along as we hope. And then two of these four will transfer out next year because of lack of playing time or the fact that they all will be competing against each other for playing time negating the time we have put in to develop them.

Before the season and then during the season when he first got some real playing time, everyone was raving about how far along Ebo is. Now that we have no real, starting-caliber bigs on our team, he isn't as far as we'd hope.

Obviously, we all "hope" all of our guys are further along than they are, but Ebo was not a guy anyone should have expected to be a starting-type guy on a good B1G team. (imo)

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
For the love of Nick Smith, can we all just agree that EVERY high school senior needs to hit the weight room?
All. Of. Them. Thanks! :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.