Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (May-June 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,851      
Zdor to Weber State

Honestly not that huge of a surprise. We were going to Crean him about 7 months after he arrived and he'd be an idiot not to know it.

We need a 5th year bad. Just somebody to soak up 10-15 minutes, especially early. (The "especially early" part is why the kid with the bum knee is a shaky option)

#1,852      
Honestly not that huge of a surprise. We were going to Crean him about 7 months after he arrived and he'd be an idiot not to know it.

We need a 5th year bad. Just somebody to soak up 10-15 minutes, especially early. (The "especially early" part is why the kid with the bum knee is a shaky option)
Understand what you're saying with the early comment.
But. . .and I hate to type this . . that's with what we know now.
One injury changes everything.

#1,853      
Understand what you're saying with the early comment.
But. . .and I hate to type this . . that's with what we know now.
One injury changes everything.

Oh, listen, it's not good. We're in a horrible spot. I'm just saying it's understandable why Zdor would turn down a cameo at Illinois for the start of a building process at a place like Weber State.

#1,855      

So, you are saying any big we are trying to recruit, should know we are going to "Crean" him. How will we get anyone?
We are losing recruits to Weber St?:confused:

#1,856      

SKane

Tennessee
I heard of a kid that got bitten by a radioactive spider who is very talented and has good grades too.

Maybe it is time to offer him a scholarship.

#1,858      
Yeah guys something bizarre is going on. We have 3rd and 4th tier kids passing up MAJOR PT potential at a Major D1 program to be a backup on a mid major. It makes no sense whatsoever. None.

Another black eye for the program. How many more can we take??

#1,859      
Zdor only has to look what happened last year with Matic and Ebo. Plus, look at who Illini are recruiting in 2019. He saw handwriting on the wall. Here today, gone tomorrow.

We better damn well sign a lot of those 2019s, or Underwood's stay at Illinois is likely going to be a short one. Huge class for him and the staff!!!!

#1,860      
We better damn well sign a lot of those 2019s, or Underwood's stay at Illinois is likely going to be a short one. Huge class for him and the staff!!!!

Whitman has put a lot of stock in Underwood. Underwood will be here for a while. Full rebuild .

#1,861      
Whitman has put a lot of stock in Underwood. Underwood will be here for a while. Full rebuild .

Three years of Underwood and no tourney after four years of Groce and no tourney we might have 25 fans left in the stands by year four of Underwood. Hope to God he can get this thing going sooner than later.....hope it starts with this '18 class.

#1,862      
Three years of Underwood and no tourney after four years of Groce and no tourney we might have 25 fans left in the stands by year four of Underwood. Hope to God he can get this thing going sooner than later.....hope it starts with this '18 class.

I agree with your points about the crowds. This is in spite of the fact that I think we are more fun to watch under BU and worth the ticket. But that isn't true for enough people. We need to win. Soon

#1,863      

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal
What’s worse - losing a guy to Weber State, or our fans rationalizing why a guy would pick Weber State?

#1,865      
How about Vanderbilt's Djery Baptiste - 6'10" 240 RS So (3.1 pts, 3. rbds, 15 min/gm) - will graduate in December, plans to transfer. Verbal commits lists him as immediately eligible - guessing that is not exactly true.

#1,866      
How about Vanderbilt's Djery Baptiste - 6'10" 240 RS So (3.1 pts, 3. rbds, 15 min/gm) - will graduate in December, plans to transfer. Verbal commits lists him as immediately eligible - guessing that is not exactly true.

How could he be immediately eligible if he graduates in December

#1,869      
Ezra Talbert (Liberty)6'8 shooter, passer type? Good Role playing bigger player with skill set and doesn't look as if he would need the ball in his hands to help?

Chose Liberty after verballing to Creighton.

Can't hurt at this point...right?

Yes it can.. I'd rather have a couple of walk-ons than affect the perception that we need a a player from Liberty that averaged less than 2 ppg and rpg.

#1,871      
With 3 and hopefully not 4 scholarships open as the summer convenes on Illini basketball, BU ought to go over and talk to Lovie Smith and get 2 big bruisers from the football team after football season ends rather than waste scholarships on people who are not in his overall plan. At least there will be some bulk and muscle under the basket so the Illini are not abused all season.

#1,872      

adogster

Scottsdale, AZ
With 3 and hopefully not 4 scholarships open as the summer convenes on Illini basketball, BU ought to go over and talk to Lovie Smith and get 2 big bruisers from the football team after football season ends rather than waste scholarships on people who are not in his overall plan. At least there will be some bulk and muscle under the basket so the Illini are not abused all season.

Best idea of the day

#1,873      
You would take a couple of walk on's instead of a player that McDermott thought was good enough to offer and land at one point...pretty well sums up the basketball IQ on here for some?

Thanks for that, but I would question the basketball IQ of someone that is willing to offer a guy just because he had a good offer 4-5 years ago. Did you think about why he would choose a school like Liberty over Creighton.. I don't know what his ranking was but a player that averaged 2 ppg as an upperclassman in the Big South has no role on this team. That's a joke.

Last edited:
#1,874      

illini80

Forgottonia
What’s worse - losing a guy to Weber State, or our fans rationalizing why a guy would pick Weber State?

There is no spin. After signing a nice class this last 6 weeks has been an embarrassment. We can’t even beg a marginal player to come here and play significant minutes at the 5. This is a string of misses that have to rival an all time worst period of recruiting history. Yes I really said that.

#1,875      
There is no spin. After signing a nice class this last 6 weeks has been an embarrassment. We can’t even beg a marginal player to come here and play significant minutes at the 5. This is a string of misses that have to rival an all time worst period of recruiting history. Yes I really said that.

And yet some on this board think we can be a tourney team this year. We are going to get torn to shreds in the interior. Even worse than we did last year, and that was historically bad. If Underwood doesn't get 2019 recruiting REALLY GOING, we are in an enormous amount of trouble....

Hope somehow somewhere Underwood can pull a talented 6 foot 10 inch rabbit out of his hat, but right now it sure doesn't look likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.