Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (November 2012-March 2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scholarships are awarded yearly. So, a kid can be on scholarship this year and the coaching staff can choose to not renew it for next year.
Just to be clear, THAT is not just an ILLINI policy. It is an universal one and more than likely followed by the UoI in most if not all sports - like anyone else.

I thought I read that 8 B1G schools including Illinois were making Football scholarships 4 year guaranteed. Could BB be far behind?? Certain conditions of course have to be met.

And it can be viewed by some (raises hand) as bad form. Also, I imagine there might be some long term repercussions if it's done to a CPL kid....for example...DeLasalle.
Depends on how one interprets "renew". A coach could unceremoniously toss a kid out or more than likely it may be that the staff and the kid agree to part ways with the staff helping the kid land in a better situation.

I feel that this staff is on far better terms with the HS coaches and under the current circumstances it may not be viewed badly. We will have to wait and see.

Can someone find any info on Tommy Hamilton jr. from IMG. maybe stats, pics or video. Don't rule this kid out I know he had a visit last week at Depaul but ILL is in the need for a post guy!!! ;):illinois:

I read the reason he fell off the radar was because he was injured for almost an entire season.
The main knock on him seemed to be that he was often injured and had trouble keeping his weight in check. He was definitely an intriguing prospect at one time. It's always possible that a change of scenery has helped him.

Can someone find any info on Tommy Hamilton jr. from IMG. maybe stats, pics or video. Don't rule this kid out I know he had a visit last week at Depaul but ILL is in the need for a post guy!!! ;):illinois:
Hamilton is 2013. We already have a post player recruited for 2013 who is a better player than Hamilton. UI fans who are tired of soft players who don't have a passion for the game would not want him, anyway. Imo

Hamilton was an interesting prospect. He has fantastic hands, probably better than any of our current bigs, but so many holes too. No chance he ends up in Orange though.

Actually, the forgotten big man target I'm wondering about is Gavin Schilling. He's gotten some pretty eyebrow raising offers. An offer from MSU this past week, with UCLA, Duke and OSU on the trail too. Why did he fall off our radar again?

Actually, the forgotten big man target I'm wondering about is Gavin Schilling. He's gotten some pretty eyebrow raising offers. An offer from MSU this past week, with UCLA, Duke and OSU on the trail too. Why did he fall off our radar again?
he is much more complete than colbert. everyone on this board quit on him way too early, he will be a stud. worst part is it will be in the big 10 against us. Michigan state will be is his likely landing spot

Last edited:
Saw Schilling last season. All I can say is that he must have improved a lot. What about his game makes him more complete than Colbert. When did you see Colbert play?

Scholarships are awarded yearly. So, a kid can be on scholarship this year and the coaching staff can choose to not renew it for next year.
I know in the other sports where partial scholarships are awarded (my experience is with Illinois baseball, but have been told it is common in many, if not all, of the non-revenue sports) they are year-to-year and the amount fluctuates (sometimes wildly) each year. The student-athletes are all aware of it, and each year there is a bit of holding their breath as they wait to learn how much assistance they will receive.

Does anyone know why the partial scholarship approach seems to not be used in basketball?

he is much more complete than colbert. everyone on this board quit on him way too early, he will be a stud. worst part is it will be in the big 10 against us. Michigan state will be is his likely landing spot
Does anyone know MSU's scholly situation? Can they take both Cliff and Schilling or I wonder if Schilling is the backup plan in case they lose out on Cliff?

Mom! The Meatloaf!
I know in the other sports where partial scholarships are awarded (my experience is with Illinois baseball, but have been told it is common in many, if not all, of the non-revenue sports) they are year-to-year and the amount fluctuates (sometimes wildly) each year. The student-athletes are all aware of it, and each year there is a bit of holding their breath as they wait to learn how much assistance they will receive.

Does anyone know why the partial scholarship approach seems to not be used in basketball?
Can only use full rides for basketball.

It didn't seem like Groce wanted to put any eggs into the basket of a Mac Irvin Player for 2013, especially after Parham was selected above Coleman.

Does anyone know MSU's scholly situation? Can they take both Cliff and Schilling or I wonder if Schilling is the backup plan in case they lose out on Cliff?
They didn't sign anyone in the fall for 2013, scholarships aren't a problem for them. With Kearney leaving, it looks like they only have 11 on scholarship anyway. Plus Harris probably isn't sticking around for more than 2 years.

Colbert is a much better fit for Groce's offense than Schilling is.

Status
Not open for further replies.