Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (November 2012-March 2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does everyone keep talking about Lyle likes he's a true PG?
One could have asked the same thing about Anthony Davis, and why people continued to talk about him like he was a true center...when in reality, he only did one thing that a true center should do, and that is defend in the post. He wasn't a true low post scorer and he wasn't an elite low post rebounder...but he was a legitimate difference maker because of his height, incredible length, athleticism and overall skillset.

Jaquan may not be a pure pg by definition, but his height, length, athleticism, and overall skillset are outstanding for any guard at virtually any level, and in the end, one can't deny this fact...he's a difference maker on the court. :chief:

Colbert is a much better fit for Groce's offense than Schilling is.
I hope your right...I've seen video of both, and Colbert looks like a rebounding and dunking machine, but VERY, VERY thin = Not B1G ready.

Schilling's video's looked like a player who has a very well rounded skillset and a college ready body...but reports last year = less production on court.

Banned
Traverse City, MI
One could have asked the same thing about Anthony Davis, and why people continued to talk about him like he was a true center...when in reality, he only did one thing that a true center should do, and that is defend in the post. He wasn't a true low post scorer and he wasn't an elite low post rebounder...but he was a legitimate difference maker because of his height, incredible length, athleticism and overall skillset.

Jaquan may not be a pure pg by definition, but his height, length, athleticism, and overall skillset are outstanding for any guard at virtually any level, and in the end, one can't deny this fact...he's a difference maker on the court. :chief:
True centers are a dying breed...AD is just a freak. Very overlooked until his senior year.

I don't disagree about Lyles talent. He looks awesome this season. He's the kind of guy that could work in any system, and no one would turn away a guy of his caliber. I'm just saying he's more of a 2 guy, not a 1.

Were going to have some scorers coming our way with Nunn, Hill, and Rice. Tate and Abrams hopefully will have the skill set to break down D's and facilitate these guys. I look at Lyle and see him in the same group with Hill. Straight up scorer. It never hurts to have as many scorers on the team, but a guy that can play point is one of the most important parts of college ball.

True centers are a dying breed...AD is just a freak. Very overlooked until his senior year.

I don't disagree about Lyles talent. He looks awesome this season. He's the kind of guy that could work in any system, and no one would turn away a guy of his caliber. I'm just saying he's more of a 2 guy, not a 1.

Were going to have some scorers coming our way with Nunn, Hill, and Rice. Tate and Abrams hopefully will have the skill set to break down D's and facilitate these guys. I look at Lyle and see him in the same group with Hill. Straight up scorer. It never hurts to have as many scorers on the team, but a guy that can play point is one of the most important parts of college ball.
Not sure I would call Nunn a scorer, especially compared to Hill.

He saw the Auburn game at UC as well. Heck, if I'm a 7' recruit watching us play, I see good guard play with a lot of PT up for grabs down low.
He wont be cutting teams down till after his Junior year. He wants to go to where post play and getting ball inside is important. Where team has good chemistry and unselfish play. Also looking to get into communications as a degree program. This is from ESPN.

Scholarships are awarded yearly. So, a kid can be on scholarship this year and the coaching staff can choose to not renew it for next year.
Just to add a little to this idea, while scholarships are year to year, it is more of a pr issue (IMHO) when it comes to yanking scholarships. Disregarding grades or behavior issues, it looks bad for a coach to simply pull a kid's scholarship. Yes I happens, but ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Found this on ESPN's Recruiting Nations Tweets posted by Brad Winton @ JucoRecruiting:

Chad Frazier (6-4/2013/Gulf Coast St.) has offers from Gonzaga, Illinois, South Carolina, Alabama, Rhode Island, Texas A&M.

Sounds like a JUCO guard. Anyone have any info?
Looks like he is off the market..

Oklahoma State gets commitment from JuCo guard Chad Frazier

The Oklahoman is reporting that the 6-4 Frazier will come in as a member of the 2013 recruiting class out of Gulf Coast (Fla.) State College and will have two years of eligibility remaining.....“I called Coach Ford today, around about 12, told him I wanted to commit,” Frazier confirmed in a phone interview with The Oklahoman. “Oklahoma State’s where I want to be.”

But then he was arrested the very next day...

...A basketball recruit was arrested Saturday for minor in possession of alcohol and lying to police.

Pullman police arrested Chad E. Frazier, 20, around midnight at 880 NE B Street and NE California Street. A Daily Evergreen reporter on the scene witnessed the arrest.....

After that.. I don't find much

he is much more complete than colbert. everyone on this board quit on him way too early, he will be a stud. worst part is it will be in the big 10 against us. Michigan state will be is his likely landing spot
He always reminded me of Augustine. Thought he was a pretty good player. I've never seen Colbert play, so I can't compare the two. Are you basing this on AAU play because Colbert hasn't played this season at all?

I agree with this also. With the running style Colbert will fit alot better. I am also sure Colbert will fill out his frame alittle better and be a tough guard in the B1G cause of how athletic he is
Schilling is a good athlete and runs the floor well. I'm not sure why he wouldn't have fit Groce's system.

Schilling is a good athlete and runs the floor well. I'm not sure why he wouldn't have fit Groce's system.
I don't know much at all about Schilling, but has there been any question about his work ethic, motor, passion - etc? I wonder if Groce is looking to get away from players who look the part like Henry and Langford and don't really have much in the way of basketball skills or drive to improve.

Illinois needs guys who can step in and help next year and it doesnt sound like Schilling is ready for that. At least he wasn't when we had open scholarships to guve.

Can someone find any info on Tommy Hamilton jr. from IMG. maybe stats, pics or video. Don't rule this kid out I know he had a visit last week at Depaul but ILL is in the need for a post guy!!! ;):illinois:
I don't think Tommy Hamilton is doing much. His team is 2-16. In IMG's last game, 7th grader EJ Montgomery dropped 10pts, 8rebs, 5 blocks & 3 steals against Tommy & IMG.

Looks like he is off the market..

Oklahoma State gets commitment from JuCo guard Chad Frazier

The Oklahoman is reporting that the 6-4 Frazier will come in as a member of the 2013 recruiting class out of Gulf Coast (Fla.) State College and will have two years of eligibility remaining.....“I called Coach Ford today, around about 12, told him I wanted to commit,” Frazier confirmed in a phone interview with The Oklahoman. “Oklahoma State’s where I want to be.”

But then he was arrested the very next day...

...A basketball recruit was arrested Saturday for minor in possession of alcohol and lying to police.

Pullman police arrested Chad E. Frazier, 20, around midnight at 880 NE B Street and NE California Street. A Daily Evergreen reporter on the scene witnessed the arrest.....

After that.. I don't find much
He decommited from OK state apparently.
http://www.jucorecruiting.com/chad-frazier-recruiting-update/

I hope your right...I've seen video of both, and Colbert looks like a rebounding and dunking machine, but VERY, VERY thin = Not B1G ready.

Schilling's video's looked like a player who has a very well rounded skillset and a college ready body...but reports last year = less production on court.
If you are to be a power player maybe so but i think Rodney Williams proved you can play and be tall and very thin. He is 6'7'' and 206. I think he could play for us anytime he wants to transfer! lol I hope Colbert is wirey strong and aggressive to the ball like Williams is.

http://illinois.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1459405

Two other players stood out for Simeon in four-star Illinois signee Kendrick Nunn and promising 6-foot-6 four-star wing D.J. Williams, a 2015 prospect. Nunn combined his shooting stroke with physicality on his drives to set a scoring tone for Simeon in the third-quarter comeback, and he was one of the vocal leaders while showing a competitive chip. Williams is a prospect who will be followed closely in the future, but he showed glimpses of that promise in playing key minutes down the stretch. An athletic and versatile wing with great size, Williams finished with nine points and six rebounds in the win.

As the No. 1 prospect in the 2014 class, Okafor is always going to get the most glory for his team, but it's clear to see that he's deserving. The 6-foot-10 center was dominant inside, using his strength and soft touch to score at will against the smaller White Station team, on his way to MVP honors with 16 points and five rebounds. Okafor continued to impress with his improved explosion, throwing down multiple dunks off of floor runs and high-post drives off of spin moves.

The defensive star of the game was Paul White, who did an excellent job in altering the shots of five-star White Station forward LeRon Black. A 6-foot-9 combo forward with versatility to play inside or outside, White is the ideal face-up four man who can defend the perimeter at the next level, showing exactly that in slowing down one of the nation's most gifted young prospects.

I don't spend as much time in this thread as in other ones, but Kramer posted a link with a name that used to get mentioned a lot around here. Is there anything new with the recruitment of Paul White?

Status
Not open for further replies.