Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (November 2012-March 2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Banned
Austin, MN
he is much more complete than colbert. everyone on this board quit on him way too early, he will be a stud. worst part is it will be in the big 10 against us. Michigan state will be is his likely landing spot
Dude at one time Colbert was rated top #20 in the nation for the class of 2013. He dropped because his motor was questioned. He is MUCH more complete then Schilling (and I liked Schilling at one time also).

Anybody got any info on 7th grader EJ Montgomery??? ;):eek: Holy sweet jesus that's heck of a stat line for anyone let alone a 7th grader
Some consider him the top 7th grader in the country. Game is being compared to Grant Hill.
Just crazy to have people rating 7th graders, but I guess they even rate 5th graders.

I don't spend as much time in this thread as in other ones, but Kramer posted a link with a name that used to get mentioned a lot around here. Is there anything new with the recruitment of Paul White?
Nope, we are still recruiting him but highly doubtful he will come here but we are following him.

Groce is trying to make inroads into the WY program.

Some consider him the top 7th grader in the country. Game is being compared to Grant Hill.
Just crazy to have people rating 7th graders, but I guess they even rate 5th graders.
Yea I actually looked him up, his videos look hilarious. It's just a 6'6" guard dribbling through a bunch of 5 foot tall middle schoolers. I don't believe in rankings that young because the better players have their growth spurts late IMO, but I'd say he's at a real high percentage of being a top 25 guy.

Dude at one time Colbert was rated top #20 in the nation for the class of 2013. He dropped because his motor was questioned. He is MUCH more complete then Schilling (and I liked Schilling at one time also).
I am excited about Colbert im not hating on him but guys like mike shaw were once very highly rated too. i know he hasnt gotten much of a chance here for PT but you never know if they fell for a small reason like motor, or if in fact the kid topped out his abilities as a sophmore in high school

Banned
Austin, MN
I am excited about Colbert im not hating on him but guys like mike shaw were once very highly rated too. i know he hasnt gotten much of a chance here for PT but you never know if they fell for a small reason like motor, or if in fact the kid topped out his abilities as a sophmore in high school
True, but watching video of Colbert he has a couple inches on Shaw and is twice the athlete. He needs to add weight no doubt, but most seniors in HS do. If the staff can get Colbert to play hard all the time, he could become REAL, REAL good at the UofI.

Banned
Seattle Area, WA
True, but watching video of Colbert he has a couple inches on Shaw and is twice the athlete. He needs to add weight no doubt, but most seniors in HS do. If the staff can get Colbert to play hard all the time, he could become REAL, REAL good at the UofI.
I am officially nervous...regardless of this is a "new" staff or not. Players whose motor is questioned is always a big risk IMO.

Okafor graciously gave the MVP award to LJ Peak after the game. Peak had 17 pts.

Regarding Paul White, I am hearing Marquette, Arizona and Florida. OSU has cooled on him. He is coming on, had some strong games in Florida and South Carolina. Showed a nice touch tonight, albeit in a blowout in over Crane.

With Finke on board, we don't h.ave room for him.

Banned
Austin, MN
I am officially nervous...regardless of this is a "new" staff or not. Players whose motor is questioned is always a big risk IMO.
If he was not the type of player Groce wanted the staff would not have recruited him. I cannot wait to see a team/roster that is totally recruited by Groce and staff!

Mike Davis's motor was questioned. Illinois fans would beg for a Mike Davis on this roster. Colbert's more talented than Davis. Not as tall or lengthy, but far more skill.

Also, Malcolm Hill doesn't always play hard on defense. That's kind of the knock on him right now. Sometimes he coasts a bit. Is that part of simply being a high school star? Lots of Freshman have to get that kick in the !!! and then the light goes on.

I do know Nunn is going to bring it all the time, and he's a great athlete, so if you're sick of seeing DJ Richardson get beat off the dribble 8 times per game and sick of seeing him unable to go around anybody on offense, you'll like Kendrick Nunn. And he is a vocal leader and a spirited player.

Banned
Logan Square, Chicago
I do know Nunn is going to bring it all the time, and he's a great athlete, so if you're sick of seeing DJ Richardson get beat off the dribble 8 times per game and sick of seeing him unable to go around anybody on offense, you'll like Kendrick Nunn. And he is a vocal leader and a spirited player.
Rayvonte, Abrams, and Nunn sound like just the backcourt we need. Bulldogs all around!

I can't wait for him to inject some life into this team. When he and Tracy end up playing together they'll at least have a lot of energy.

Each of the incoming players will add something to next years team. They may all be freshman and im not expecting much but they will at least provide us with depth at every position and should instill some toughness into the team

Banned
Seattle Area, WA
Each of the incoming players will add something to next years team. They may all be freshman and im not expecting much but they will at least provide us with depth at every position and should instill some toughness into the team
Again if we're relying on the freshman (although TA did as a FR.) to instill toughness, we will be in trouble :eek:

Banned
Seattle Area, WA
Found this on ESPN's Recruiting Nations Tweets posted by Brad Winton @ JucoRecruiting:

Chad Frazier (6-4/2013/Gulf Coast St.) has offers from Gonzaga, Illinois, South Carolina, Alabama, Rhode Island, Texas A&M.

Sounds like a JUCO guard. Anyone have any info?

We could use another C. Frazier at the point :D

Hope this one can shoot as well as play D if he decides on the :illinois:

Again if we're relying on the freshman (although TA did as a FR.) to instill toughness, we will be in trouble :eek:
I guess I meant it more in terms of practice and overall mentality of the team. When the whole team has a tougher attitude it tends to promote a better environment. Im definitely not expecting our toughness to come solely from freshmen

Banned
Seattle Area, WA
I guess I meant it more in terms of practice and overall mentality of the team. When the whole team has a tougher attitude it tends to promote a better environment. Im definitely not expecting our toughness to come solely from freshmen
Gotcha. The practice environment would surely benefit. Will that translate to the court? Dunno. Hopefully they get the "freshman in headlights" look out early and demonstrate why they were ranked in the top 100 and why they were picked by Groce as tough individual players.

I think it will be interesting to see if Bertrand begins to start or play the 4. The reason I say that is what if the move is successful? I wonder if next year we would start a 4 guard lineup that included Abrams, Nunn/Hill, Rice, Bertrand. While that is a small lineup, definitely a group that could get after it and be aggressive. And even if that group doesn't start, I'm willing to bet we would see them on court together one time or another.

He always reminded me of Augustine. Thought he was a pretty good player. I've never seen Colbert play, so I can't compare the two. Are you basing this on AAU play because Colbert hasn't played this season at all?
I guess it was a tough comparison to make since Colbert hasn't played, When i get a chance to watch Colbert in person as a senior ill come back and make a better comparison. Schilling has improved and we all knew he looked the part. You are seeing by the late offers from the big boys that he is starting to develop into that body.

I think it will be interesting to see if Bertrand begins to start or play the 4. The reason I say that is what if the move is successful? I wonder if next year we would start a 4 guard lineup that included Abrams, Nunn/Hill, Rice, Bertrand. While that is a small lineup, definitely a group that could get after it and be aggressive. And even if that group doesn't start, I'm willing to bet we would see them on court together one time or another.
I'm sure JG would prefer a true 4 at the 4 spot for defensive, rebounding and screening purposes. (For instance, we need a big body at the 4 to set the countless high ball screens we use in this offense.)

Having said that, if MyH and MS don't pan out at the 4 or if one or both transfer, this could make sense as a plan B. (I don't think Colbert will be physically ready to start at the 4 next year.) RR and JB are good rebounders for their size, and MaH especially could make the transition to starting wing as a frosh if he gets stronger in the weight room and can play D at this level immediately.

I'm sure JG would prefer a true 4 at the 4 spot for defensive, rebounding and screening purposes. (For instance, we need a big body at the 4 to set the countless high ball screens we use in this offense.)

Having said that, if MyH and MS don't pan out at the 4 or if one or both transfer, this could make sense as a plan B. (I don't think Colbert will be physically ready to start at the 4 next year.) RR and JB are good rebounders for their size, and MaH especially could make the transition to starting wing as a frosh if he gets stronger in the weight room and can play D at this level immediately.
I agree it's not ideal, but there is definitely a chance. Hopefully by next year Shaw or Henry can at least D up and rebound at the 4. As for this year though I do think JB should at least start the game at the 4 because we have been so flat to start out games. I think to fix that you should throw your best 5 out there and hope someone gives you a spark, even if it means stretching JB to the 4.

If you are to be a power player maybe so but i think Rodney Williams proved you can play and be tall and very thin. He is 6'7'' and 206. I think he could play for us anytime he wants to transfer! lol I hope Colbert is wirey strong and aggressive to the ball like Williams is.
Colbert vs RWill : ~2" taller and 30 lbs lighter. Not really close in terms of build. When people say Colbert is thin they mean it.

Status
Not open for further replies.