Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (November 2012-March 2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 6-foot-9 combo forward with versatility to play inside or outside, White is the ideal face-up four man who can defend the perimeter at the next level, showing exactly that in slowing down one of the nation's most gifted young prospects.
From the article Kramer posted. Sounds like a JG prototypical 4. Too bad he will never play for UI. Talent wise Paul White is probably more gifted than Finke or KBD. The production has just been lacking for the last year or so. A lot of that was attributed to motor. It seems like in his SR yr something has finally clicked. He has been playing like the highly touted prospect that he was/is. I think a lot of it has to do with LJ Peak joining the team. He has changed the make up of the WY team drastically. When it is all said and done they may be favored over Simeon come postseason time.

From the article Kramer posted. Sounds like a JG prototypical 4. Too bad he will never play for UI. Talent wise Paul White is probably more gifted than Finke or KBD. The production has just been lacking for the last year or so. A lot of that was attributed to motor. It seems like in his SR yr something has finally clicked. He has been playing like the highly touted prospect that he was/is. I think a lot of it has to do with LJ Peak joining the team. He has changed the make up of the WY team drastically. When it is all said and done they may be favored over Simeon come postseason time.
White is only a junior

White is only a junior
Yes... which is the class of 2014 which includes KBD and Finke. With him locked in like he has been with WY this year I think he would be above both of those guys. Unfortunately he wasn't locked in when Groce was looking for a commitment. Therefore Finke will be in the O&B and White will go elsewhere. Not trying to knock Finke but I just think White has a bit of that Evan Turner to him. He is a great ballhandler for his size. Over the last few weeks/month he has really put it all together finally and is realizing his potential. Remember he is currently 55th in 2014 and he was much higher before turning in a disappointing year.

Colbert vs RWill : ~2" taller and 30 lbs lighter. Not really close in terms of build. When people say Colbert is thin they mean it.
You are saying Colbert is only 170 something lbs? Or did I read that wrong?

Or just emphasizing he is skinny?

ESPN, Rivals, Scout, have him weighing anywhere from 200 to 210.

Again if we're relying on the freshman (although TA did as a FR.) to instill toughness, we will be in trouble :eek:
TA will be a junior, Rice is a 4th year junior and Bertrand is a 5th year senior, so we aren't relying on freshman. If a freshman is good enough to come in at get a bunch of PT, then so be it. Nunn is a tough customer, so I see him getting PT like Bertrand is this year off the bench.

Also 5 years apart.

Williams was listed at 6'5" 180 coming out of high school, ranked the #100 player in the nation on rivals.

There is no way of knowing what Colbert will look like in 5 years.
I agree and think over his career Colbert will be good. The way I read it the poster was comparing Williams and Colbert now. I think Colbert is beyond Williams at the same points in their careers. If Colbert progresses like he should he will be good.

You are saying Colbert is only 170 something lbs? Or did I read that wrong?

Or just emphasizing he is skinny?

ESPN, Rivals, Scout, have him weighing anywhere from 200 to 210.
I would say 170-175 is about right. There is no way he is 200 to 210. If you have seen Simeon recently I would say Colbert is comparable to Ed Morrow. Colbert has 2-3 inches on him but the same build. Morrow is currently listed at 170 so Colbert could be 180 but not much more. We all know how the recruiting sites inflate numbers. Just for comparison Devin Williams is listed as 220 by those sites and while comparable in height the two are not comparable in build at all.

As long as we're on the Williams/Colbert debate, Rodney's freshman figures on a mediocre 09-10 Minny team were:

11.9 MPG
4.3 PPG
1.6 RPG
not measurable on 3's
54.5% FT %
One heck of a dunking machine:)

If we get these kind of numbers out of Colbert, we can probably say met expectations...for some of us:)
P.S. Very similar to Mike Davis' freshman year.

Last edited:
I would say 170-175 is about right. There is no way he is 200 to 210. If you have seen Simeon recently I would say Colbert is comparable to Ed Morrow. Colbert has 2-3 inches on him but the same build. Morrow is currently listed at 170 so Colbert could be 180 but not much more. We all know how the recruiting sites inflate numbers. Just for comparison Devin Williams is listed as 220 by those sites and while comparable in height the two are not comparable in build at all.

I think you're WAY off on Colbert's weight. A 6'9, 175 frame? Is that even possible? Heck, even Mike Davis was listed at 225.

Each of the incoming players will add something to next years team. They may all be freshman and im not expecting much but they will at least provide us with depth at every position and should instill some toughness into the team
Don't forget Rice, he's a load and he isn't a freshman.
I have high hopes he gives us more muscle on the inside along with Mav.

I am more than happy with our bird in hand. White may be more gifted athletically than Finke, but not skillwise. Recent highlights show that Finke, besides being an outstanding shooter, can really pass the basketball.

Just for clarification. I am sure the OP meant Colbert is more skilled than Mike Davis was at a comparable point in his career. If people are expecting Colbert to come in and be the same player that Mike Davis was as a sophomore-->senior, they are going to be sorely disappointed. He doesn't have Davis's ability to shoot from outside. He isn't as big as Davis.

He has been downgraded for a perceived lack of aggression. That is a fair statement. It does or ought to be a concern until he demonstrates that it isn't a problem. I agree that it is a very common problem with HS players.

Everything I have heard is that he is around 200-210. Scout has him listed as 6'8" and 205.
it is very hard to guess a guys weight by looking at him on the floor. If you have ever watched a UFC event you will see two fighters in the same weight class announced and one just looks so much thicker than his opponent and yet they are the same weight. With all three sites having him from 200-210, I am sure that is about right. And again, I think the weight thing is vastly overrated in many cases. If you are a Jared Sullinger type player you need the weight because you play below the rim and need that weight to move opponents for position, however, if you are a Rodney Williams type player who is an above the rim guy you rebound on athleticism and jumping ability so the weight not nearly as important and there seems to be less below the rims guys at the 4 that are stars. Again the best 4 on the planet is Kevin Durant and no one weighs less than he does on that 6'9"/6'10" frame. Heck our flying Illini in Kenny Battle and Lowell Hamilton had no problem rebounding and being very productive inside and neither of them was a George Montgomery type.

it is very hard to guess a guys weight by looking at him on the floor. If you have ever watched a UFC event you will see two fighters in the same weight class announced and one just looks so much thicker than his opponent and yet they are the same weight. With all three sites having him from 200-210, I am sure that is about right. And again, I think the weight thing is vastly overrated in many cases. If you are a Jared Sullinger type player you need the weight because you play below the rim and need that weight to move opponents for position, however, if you are a Rodney Williams type player who is an above the rim guy you rebound on athleticism and jumping ability so the weight not nearly as important and there seems to be less below the rims guys at the 4 that are stars. Again the best 4 on the planet is Kevin Durant and no one weighs less than he does on that 6'9"/6'10" frame. Heck our flying Illini in Kenny Battle and Lowell Hamilton had no problem rebounding and being very productive inside and neither of them was a George Montgomery type.
Kinda off topic, but those UFC guys don't weigh the same at the fight as they do for the weigh-ins pre-fight. That is, on fight night, George St. Pierre does not weigh 170, Benson Henderson does not weigh 155, etc.

I would have to assume that Colbert's weight provided by the various recruiting services is based off of more than just "looking at him on the floor."

Is Colbert's game similar to Otto Porter's from Georgetown. Porter is an All-American type player as a Sophomore but he measures at 6-8 205 and plays the PF position for them.

He saw the Auburn game at UC as well. Heck, if I'm a 7' recruit watching us play, I see good guard play with a lot of PT up for grabs down low.
Maybe...or I look and see how little the center is utilized in this system offensively, and I wonder if that is how I really want to gain experience and possible exposure for the next level.

If you are to be a power player maybe so but i think Rodney Williams proved you can play and be tall and very thin. He is 6'7'' and 206. I think he could play for us anytime he wants to transfer! lol I hope Colbert is wirey strong and aggressive to the ball like Williams is.
6' 7" and 206-210 is not that thin for a small forward, which is what Rodney Williams primarily is except for in special situations where fouls or match-up problems dictate a shift in personnel.

Colbert is as thin at JuJuan Johnson was at this same point in his career.
Basically 6'10" and 190-195 lbs. Could he turn out like Johnson?
Absolutely...but Johnson thrived because of his midrange and even extended perimeter jumper coupled with a rare ability for big men in being able to put the ball on the floor and drive to the basket.

Still, Johnson really struggled against other true bigs who were relatively close to the same skillset as he.

Hopefully it will be a moot point and Colbert packs on some muscle to add to his solid skillset. :chief:

Rayvonte, Abrams, and Nunn sound like just the backcourt we need. Bulldogs all around!
Yep, we won't have an issue with toughness and inner motivation from here on out. Nunn has an attitude like Dee Brown, and once he is placed in a system where his attributes will be channeled to an attack mode full time, I think you will see him explode onto the scene. All of the intangibles are already in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.