Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (November 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mannion is a sure fire Lottery pick imo and WILL be gone after this year...
Ayo is an eventual 1st rounder and MAY be with us 3-4 years...

I hate to say it but Miller is AZ bound and Ayo got home schooled by Mannion. Ayo is 3 years imo, no less.
You base that all on one game. Sheer genius
It may have been one game...
... but Mannion schooled all of our guards and certainly raises questions on Ayo's ceiling and ability to cover a NBA PG. Last night certainly didn't help his case as a 1st rounder.
...Now Mannion does indeed look to be special, lottery special, Ayo didn't look close, we can debate if that gap is top of 1st to bottom of first or more, but it was significant.
...Personally I'm less than convinced Ayo is an eventual first rounder and I'm also not convinced that hanging around for 3 - 4 yrs helps his case. It gives him the opportunity to improve, but it also carries the risk of removing some of the speculation on potential ceiling. Sometimes I think we forget how good you have to be to make the first round, Deron, Frank, Harper were the only pg in the last 40 years or so and as good as Frank Williams was he was late first round.

Deleted member 29907

D
Soooooo.... we're assuming Miller got the free week of fubar (sorry, fubo) tv? Hope he gets his refund with ease. Perhaps Coach Miller paid for his subscription.

Perhaps he saw that we had the B1G frosh of the week ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Adam Miller will announce on 11/21/19....

AZ just beat ILLINI 90-69 right....21 points....hmmmm

I hate to say it but Miller is AZ bound and Ayo got home schooled by Mannion. Ayo is 3 years imo, no less.

- Mannion is far from a sure fire Lottery pick. It's one game and he didn't look good against N Arizona. He's maybe 6-3 and needs to get a lot stronger.

Hmmmmm. Good observation.

So, in this three-horse IL, UL, and AZ race, how would you/we rank the three?
As far as i’ve been told, Illinois is Miller’s destination; but no promises or “silent verbals have been made.
Illinois has something to prove still, as Zona is the more attractive offer. I know he has a lot of pressure to stay in state, but also Arizona consistently gets top tier talent and gets them to the NBA.

As far as i’ve been told, Illinois is Miller’s destination; but no promises or “silent verbals have been made.
Illinois has something to prove still, as Zona is the more attractive offer. I know he has a lot of pressure to stay in state, but also Arizona consistently gets top tier talent and gets them to the NBA.
They’re also about to go on probation

By open spot, I meant a clear path to substantial playing time, not just a scholarship. That path is unclear if Ayo stays. I'd like to get him AND have Ayo stay, but I don't think he will be looking for my advice even though we're both former Peorians.
No you don’t dude. That would probably mean we as a team and Ayo individually struggled this year. That would mean that a kid who 90% of experts believed preseason was a surefire NBA draft pick didn’t get there under Brad and Chin’s tutelage. That would have some terrible ripple effects that I don’t even want to think about. You want Ayo to go pro this year 100% and then you want Miller and Kofi to get pro fast too so we can build a portfolio of developing NBA level players in our program. That’s how we get to where we want to be.

Better stated, thank you.
As a decidedly non-Insider, I believe there are a couple of real insiders reporting here that have not waivered. It does seem though that the quality of play at AZ may have pushed Miller to a verbal instead of a signature for the fall.
So, does sound like Miller wants to be counted, but with a hedge. But until I hear something from people that do seem to have something but "logical speculation", I'm going with Illinois in the lead.

Adam Miller will announce on 11/21/19....

AZ just beat ILLINI 90-69 right....21 points....hmmmm

Are you joking? Ayo’s been on scouts radar since he was a freshman in high school as Chicago’s next big thing. He was one of the best players on the FIBA squad he played on. He turned himself from a non-shooter into a three point threat in like 4 months last off-season. He scored 3 straight layups in an impressive array last night. He’s got a lot to work on but some scouts will see the next Shia Gilgeous-Alexander in him. He’ll test great at the combine. He’s got the work ethic, talent and reputation to leave after this year and I almost guarantee he will. We’ve played three games, chill out.

As a decidedly non-Insider, I believe there are a couple of real insiders reporting here that have not waivered. It does seem though that the quality of play at AZ may have pushed Miller to a verbal instead of a signature for the fall.
So, does sound like Miller wants to be counted, but with a hedge. But until I hear something from people that do seem to have something but "logical speculation", I'm going with Illinois in the lead.
Could it be he is simply waiting out of respect for his friend Ayo to declare first since he is essentially taking his scholarship?

Ayo is first round prospect to me. But brad need to run offense through him. He is one of the best college guard in transition because of his size length and athleticism. The three guard lineup is not working. Trent to me all ways was a great offball guard because of his shooting ability and to me he doesn't have the best of handles. Dre is a hard grinded player that any coach in the country would love in your team. This team is only gonna get better and yesterday in the 1st half played like a ncaa tournament team. Adam Miller is huge and it seems like he is a lock to Illinois. But after yesterday day game what really changed to make people think Adam Miller is Arizona bound. First he said he was making his commitment video a couple of hours before the games started. And he is waiting to sign in the spring period. If he would commit to Arizona why not sign right now and seal a spot when you know nico is gonna leave. And yes they beat us and most of there highly rated guys go to the nba but if ayo can lead Illinois to NCAA tournament then it no doubt in my mind he a top 20 pick in next year draft and Adam gonna see that and think about him as ayo 2.0 but In my eyes he more developed as a prospect than ayo was at this time.

Could it be he is simply waiting out of respect for his friend Ayo to declare first since he is essentially taking his scholarship?
More Speculation. But then, without it, this thread would be pretty short and boring.

So to continue the same theme, nothing says they wouldn't play together for a year, especially since Miller is essentially more of a combo on this level (although I don't see this scenario because short of Ayo falling on his face, he's gone). We would be getting a little heavy for PT on the guard level. And there's always that counting Schollies thing. But I think BU is actually a math major, or was that the prior coach? Oh well, I'm sure he has "People".

Gosh forbid we lose Miller, but Ayo and his handlers would be right in the middle of 2 Underwood's biggest losses--THT and Miller.

I’m thinking Arizona’s dominance last night may have made his decision

Status
Not open for further replies.