Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (November 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m thinking Arizona’s dominance last night may have made his decision
Arizona will almost certainly be losing Mannion and Green. How Nnaji has played, he’s honestly looking like a one and done too. Hazzard, Jeter, Cummings and Smith graduate. They’ve got some young talent on the roster but all completely unproven and while they have one top 40 recruit committed for next year, their class is shaping up to not be that great.

IllFanInMi

I
Ayo is a special gift, no doubt. He does seem kinda like the bully that never had to learn to box when it comes to his mid and long range games. I’m sure he could get to the rim relatively easily from early on, and he’s tremendous at it. Mannion had to learn to score from other levels and developed a variety of floaters, pull ups, off the dribble, and from deep.

The NBA has clearly taken guys with all the “measureables” and underdeveloped skills, and Ayo appears to fit this mold a bit.

BU and the staff can certainly influence development, but Ayo has a ton of influencers outside of this staff. At the end of the day, it’s up to the athlete to develop and refine their game to get to the next level. I believe he’s in the show regardless, but if he worked and developed his mid range game, and ability to stop on a dime and pop, or create a bit of space and pull up, WOW!

IlliniKat91

Chicago, IL

Keep in mind, that can also be that he wants to come to us and show he can lead the team to victory in a game like last night's.

Maybe it's all this football success, but I'm just not feeling doom and gloom about this.

I HIGHLY doubt a bad second half of basketball swayed his decision away from Illinois. You seriously think he was waiting for the outcome of a head to head game to make a decision?

Too bad Liddell signed with Ohio State before we beat them last year. That could have swayed his decision, right?

Screenshot_20191111-211306_Twitter.jpg

I really don't like this. Feels like he's waiting/hoping for a blue blood offer.

IlliniKat91

Chicago, IL
View attachment 5111

I really don't like this. Feels like he's waiting/hoping for a blue blood offer.

No, he's waiting to see where the minutes will be right away. Ballers want to play and they want the pressure of being the star as soon as they set foot on campus. He doesn't want to be in Ayo's shadow. I wish that wasn't the case, but I can't blame him, either.

He just cut Kansas from his list. That said, this does sound like an interesting 'commitment', or lack thereof. This one won't be done until he signs.
Bottom line is that we're either going to have Ayo or Miller next year. My guess is that Ayo is 99% set on the NBA, but depending on how this season goes....that's a huge 1% hanging out there for Miller. I don't blame him from taking this approach. I would too.

No, he's waiting to see where the minutes will be right away. Ballers want to play and they want the pressure of being the star as soon as they set foot on campus. He doesn't want to be in Ayo's shadow. I wish that wasn't the case, but I can't blame him, either.

I agree Ayo leaving is the main factor. However, I think he would be very interested if UK, UNC, or Puke show interest.

Bottom line is that we're either going to have Ayo or Miller next year. My guess is that Ayo is 99% set on the NBA, but depending on how this season goes....that's a huge 1% hanging out there for Miller. I don't blame him from taking this approach. I would too.
If the recent football games against Wisconsin and Mich St. are any indication, the game win probability % tracker can reach 99% likelihood of one outcome and end up with a different result only in the final minute. Sometimes one just has to let the event or events play out.

I agree Ayo leaving is the main factor. However, I think he would be very interested if UK, UNC, or Puke show interest.
Maybe this is just me, but it's one thing if BU agrees with his approach based on Ayo, however.....it is a COMPLETELY different set of circumstances if he "verbally" commits with an eye on other offers regardless of whether Ayo stays or goes.

I don't blame him one bit if it's an Ayo thing. I'd do the same. If it's a, hold my place in case I don't get another offer thing....don't let the door hit you on the way out for me.

Who was our last (if any) recruit that committed but did not sign?? Sherron Collins :)

Yeah, I like all the crystal balls, but hate the idea of a blue blood coming in after the NBA draft declarations after the season and scholarships opening up. Gonna be sweating this one until he is on campus.

TheAngryBavarian

Charleston/Collinsville
In my opinion, Miller will be a better guy than Ayo when it's all said and done. Ayo may be the better raw athlete, but Adam has the potential to be the best guard we've had since Deron Williams.

Maybe this is just me, but it's one thing if BU agrees with his approach based on Ayo, however.....it is a COMPLETELY different set of circumstances if he "verbally" commits with an eye on other offers regardless of whether Ayo stays or goes.

I don't blame him one bit if it's an Ayo thing. I'd do the same. If it's a, hold my place in case I don't get another offer thing....don't let the door hit you on the way out for me.
So how do you know? You don't. Therefore, you keep recruiting. You probably can't sign someone closely equivalent but if you can you do. I don't agree with I will only sign if Ayo is gone crap. Hard to have a team if all the individuals are selfish. If he is that good, Ayo being here won't matter. Maybe we need to win like Purdue. Get good players and stack them. Stay out of the Chicago system. Never thought I would say it, but I now prefer football

So how do you know? You don't. Therefore, you keep recruiting. You probably can't sign someone closely equivalent but if you can you do. I don't agree with I will only sign if Ayo is gone crap. Hard to have a team if all the individuals are selfish. If he is that good, Ayo being here won't matter. Maybe we need to win like Purdue. Get good players and stack them. Stay out of the Chicago system. Never thought I would say it, but I now prefer football
You're absolutely right. You'd hope he could trust the word of the kid/his parents/the Irvin's, etc.

It's a interesting situation....per usual.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
So how do you know? You don't. Therefore, you keep recruiting. You probably can't sign someone closely equivalent but if you can you do. I don't agree with I will only sign if Ayo is gone crap. Hard to have a team if all the individuals are selfish.

lol

Imagine a player (or anybody, for that matter) looking out for their own interest! Sheer blasphemy!

Status
Not open for further replies.