Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (November 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

drsmitty74

Rochester
3rd Year Ayo, because he is still an outstanding ambassador for the school, Miller I don't believe will ever be that? It goes along ways with recruits to see players who want to accomplish something on their own and as a team. Ayo is going to get his, (after the 3rd year imo), Miller will get his (2 year imo), Ayo is and will always be better in terms of intangibles imo.
Maybe, but don't you think it is just as important to show that our system can gets guys to the league? I personally think it is more detrimental to the program to have a guy that was borderline 1st round pick as a freshman, but has digressed to point of staying in school for a 3rd year. Just my opinion......

This. Miller is playing this very well: hedging his bet is the smart play.

But also helps us in the recruiting game because we can move on to the next class knowing we either have Miller or Ayo for a 3rd year and the perception at least to the next class is that we'll have Miller.

Ayo is first round prospect to me. But brad need to run offense through him. He is one of the best college guard in transition because of his size length and athleticism. The three guard lineup is not working. Trent to me all ways was a great offball guard because of his shooting ability and to me he doesn't have the best of handles. Dre is a hard grinded player that any coach in the country would love in your team. This team is only gonna get better and yesterday in the 1st half played like a ncaa tournament team. Adam Miller is huge and it seems like he is a lock to Illinois. But after yesterday day game what really changed to make people think Adam Miller is Arizona bound. First he said he was making his commitment video a couple of hours before the games started. And he is waiting to sign in the spring period. If he would commit to Arizona why not sign right now and seal a spot when you know nico is gonna leave. And yes they beat us and most of there highly rated guys go to the nba but if ayo can lead Illinois to NCAA tournament then it no doubt in my mind he a top 20 pick in next year draft and Adam gonna see that and think about him as ayo 2.0 but In my eyes he more developed as a prospect than ayo was at this time.

Illinisouthside

[IMG alt="Illinisouthside"]https://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forum/data/avatars/m/746/746301.jpg?1548037432[/IMG]

Ayo is first round prospect to me. But brad need to run offense through him

Agreed. Difficult to judge his ability or potential based on an offense that is been scattered on divergent fronts the first three games.
Will be interested to see what evolves.

Maybe, but don't you think it is just as important to show that our system can gets guys to the league? I personally think it is more detrimental to the program to have a guy that was borderline 1st round pick as a freshman, but has digressed to point of staying in school for a 3rd year. Just my opinion......
Digressed? 🤔 nobody is digressing. And it’s too early in the season to say Ayo has regressed which I think you mean. Once everyone understands their roles all will be well. Kofi is a big piece to add to the puzzle and it will take a little while to develop the team chemistry

Gosh forbid we lose Miller, but Ayo and his handlers would be right in the middle of 2 Underwood's biggest losses--THT and Miller.
Yeah cause with THT we're an NCAA team.....right.......he's worth 10 wins by himself in the one college year he played and all..........right?????

Hey Guys, Howard's team only wins by 8 against App St. in their only game so far. It's clear that Miller has & had no intention of "committing" until the spring. He is waiting and seeing. Howard is still a complete unknown as to his coaching abilities. I see this as a kid who is keeping his options open. If he makes any announcement on the 21st, it's just window dressing. The only reason for any announcement at this point would be to see who else that might bring along.
At this point, unless he signs in the fall, this is Wizard of Oz excitement: "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain".

Your feeling or info you're hearing?

I guess the way I interpret this is that all signs were that he was going to "commit" to us after signing day but not sign until the spring when it was clear what our (and in particular, Ayo's) situation was going to be going into the 2020/21 season. He wouldn't be legally bound to anyone in that scenario and could freely move on if Ayo stayed in Champaign. In this scenario, the other schools would be vying to be his choice in the event of Ayo not going pro, and in that case, it would make sense for him to listen to Michigan and visit. Am I completely off base here?
Am I completely off base here?

Unfortunately, it is the smart thing for a recruit like Miller to do, Significantly increases the level of uncertainty in the recruiting process..
Always possible, Ayo goes pro, and Miller does not come to CU, which would suck, but certainly not out of the realm of the possible.

Am I completely off base here?

Unfortunately, it is the smart thing for a recruit like Miller to do, Significantly increases the level of uncertainty in the recruiting process..
Always possible, Ayo goes pro, and Miller does not come to CU, which would suck, but certainly not out of the realm of the possible.
That is why we look hard for an alternative. We won't find a Miller clone...but if we could find a high level shooter who is not a total defensive liability...I would take him. I think our chances are no better than 50/50 at this point, probably worse.

drsmitty74

Rochester
Digressed? 🤔 nobody is digressing. And it’s too early in the season to say Ayo has regressed which I think you mean. Once everyone understands their roles all will be well. Kofi is a big piece to add to the puzzle and it will take a little while to develop the team chemistry

ok, so Vocab and spelling are not my forte, obviously. Yes, regressed is what I meant, and, I was wasn't referring to the fact that I think he has regressed just seeing these first few games. IF Ayo is still here for a third year, then there is some regression. That regression may be Ayo, but more than likely, it was our system. Again, this is my viewpoint IF Ayo is still here next year.

ok, so Vocab and spelling are not my forte, obviously. Yes, regressed is what I meant, and, I was wasn't referring to the fact that I think he has regressed just seeing these first few games. IF Ayo is still here for a third year, then there is some regression. That regression may be Ayo, but more than likely, it was our system. Again, this is my viewpoint IF Ayo is still here next year.
Even if Ayo does regress this year, or simply fails to take another step forward, I can't see him sticking around. If he hasn't made a jump between his Freshman and Sophomore years, why would they expect anything different going into his Junior year? If he returns for a hypothetical Junior year and disappoints again, then his draft stock would really tank. Barring any extreme unforeseen events, I think he needs to get out after this year. The best case scenario is that he has an outstanding season and removes all doubt, so let's hope that is what happens.

So we have this overall accepted stance on this board that Miller is coming, but does not want to play in Ayo's shadow (again, since he did it some on their high school team.)

This is odd to me considering that Adam Miller literally switched schools and joined Ayo's team in high school. DId Adam Miller's family move up there, without considering what team he was joining? I just assumed it was a "basketball move."

So what's everyone opinion as to which is worse for the Illini: 1) Miller doesn't choose the Illini on the 21st at all or 2) Miller does choose the Illini on the 21st but backs out and goes elsewhere if Ayo doesn't end up going pro.

Or a supposedly 1st rd'er sticks around for 3 years for whatever reasons and keeps getting team to gel together, get wins, learns how to become the true alpha male we need, and we go deeper into tournament with a stud 7' center and an eventual NBA player as well?

So we have this overall accepted stance on this board that Miller is coming, but does not want to play in Ayo's shadow (again, since he did it some on their high school team.)

This is odd to me considering that Adam Miller literally switched schools and joined Ayo's team in high school. DId Adam Miller's family move up there, without considering what team he was joining? I just assumed it was a "basketball move."
Nimari Burnett left Morgan Park after his freshman year & Miller took his place. I think I remember seeing something about Miller's mom taking a job in chicago. If you are moving to the city from out of town you go to Simeon, Whitney Young or Morgan Park.

IlliniKat91

Chicago, IL
Nimari Burnett left Morgan Park after his freshman year & Miller took his place. I think I remember seeing something about Miller's mom taking a job in chicago. If you are moving to the city from out of town to play basketball, you go to Simeon, Whitney Young or Morgan Park.

FTFY

BMoreIllini

Baltimore, MD
I think this has been said before, but it bears repeating. These are 18 year old kids who are trying (along with family and friends) to decide what's best for them and their future.

Here's a scenario: You have a a few job offers on the table and told the employers you were going to make a decision in 2 weeks, a non-binding one at that. All of a sudden, a place that you had always wanted to work at and has been doing really well recently came in with the same offer as a place that you maybe weren't quite as excited about and visibly hasn't been doing as well lately. Would you completely pass on the new offer just because you'd already interviewed at the other places and they only knew about competing with the two other companies for your services? Or would you kick the tires on the new offer and check things out before making an informed decision?

I love UI and want them to land Miller, but I think it's childish to have these reactions (like "I'm done with this recruitment" - I'm sure he cares, maybe following recruitments aren't for you) to an 18 year old's decision when he's just trying to do what's best for him (bag men accusations aside).

Last edited:
What would be better for us a 3rd year of Ayo or 1 year of Miller

3rd Year Ayo, because he is still an outstanding ambassador for the school, Miller I don't believe will ever be that? It goes along ways with recruits to see players who want to accomplish something on their own and as a team. Ayo is going to get his, (after the 3rd year imo), Miller will get his (2 year imo), Ayo is and will always be better in terms of intangibles imo.

There is no way a 3rd year of Ayo is better. If Ayo is back next year it most likely means he and the school had a disappointing season and he isn't getting looks as a NBA first rounder. We want Ayo to have a great year, take us to the tournament, and get picked solidly in the middle of the first round.

I guess there is some bizzaro world situation where Ayo has an amazing season taking us to the sweet 16 and then announces he's coming back for more "unfinished business" but that isn't happening.

There is no way a 3rd year of Ayo is better. If Ayo is back next year it most likely means he and the school had a disappointing season and he isn't getting looks as a NBA first rounder. We want Ayo to have a great year, take us to the tournament, and get picked solidly in the middle of the first round.

I guess there is some bizzaro world situation where Ayo has an amazing season taking us to the sweet 16 and then announces he's coming back for more "unfinished business" but that isn't happening.

Still think Ayo brings us more value long term than Miller "might" short term....also don't think Miller is a 1 and done anymore than Ayo was. There just isn't a high demand for 1 and done PG/CG in the 6-3/6'5 range unless they are truly WAY above anyone else they play against...these 2 don't fit that narrative?

Illinisouthside

[IMG alt="Illinisouthside"]https://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forum/data/avatars/m/746/746301.jpg?1548037432[/IMG]

Ayo is first round prospect to me. But brad need to run offense through him

Agreed. Difficult to judge his ability or potential based on an offense that is been scattered on divergent fronts the first three games.
Will be interested to see what evolves.
I agree with both of you, but I'm just not sure how you run the BU spread through a guard. It seems built to run through the pinch post spot (Giorgi last year and Kofi now). Obviously guards get opportunities to score, but not as much to be a playmaker actually "running" the offense

Status
Not open for further replies.