Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (November 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little more extended highlights from the Prolific Prep game. Hawkins looks pretty smooth in this, wish he was a little more dynamic finishing and stronger defending the rim. That's what Fletch is for though!

Nimari Burnette most skilled player in the game IMHO. Seems to have a grounded game with all the skills and athleticism to possibly play in NBA. Reminds me physically of Chris Duhon.

Jalen Green similiar to Kahil Whitney, similiar size, athleticism, and game. Question is where does his game fit in non-transition bball and when the lane gets crowded by large 7 foot types. That is why I feel Burnett's game as a 6'4 athetic PG who can shoot/dribble/pass may have a better career in NBA.

Coleman Hawkins nice skills but like others said needs to hit the weights. Seems like a solid 4 year college player. Will help us match up better with the better stretch 4s in the league.

Nimari Burnette most skilled player in the game IMHO. Seems to have a grounded game with all the skills and athleticism to possibly play in NBA. Reminds me physically of Chris Duhon.

Jalen Green similiar to Kahil Whitney, similiar size, athleticism, and game. Question is where does his game fit in non-transition bball and when the lane gets crowded by large 7 foot types. That is why I feel Burnett's game as a 6'4 athetic PG who can shoot/dribble/pass may have a better career in NBA.

Coleman Hawkins nice skills but like others said needs to hit the weights. Seems like a solid 4 year college player. Will help us match up better with the better stretch 4s in the league.
Wow chris duhon. I like it. Burnett doesn't look real athletic, saw him freshman year & never thought he would would develop into the type of player that can windmill & dunk it on you, but he has developed.

jmilt7

Waukegan

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™

Definitely not a back to the basket guy, which I love. Kid has a lot of potential, but physical attributes need addressing. If he works hard and progresses, he'll be a good stretch 4. Am not expecting immediate help though.

illini80

Forgottonia
Definitely not a back to the basket guy, which I love. Kid has a lot of potential, but physical attributes need addressing. If he works hard and progresses, he'll be a good stretch 4. Am not expecting immediate help though.
He had a nice interview with Werner. Smart kid with some skills and wants to come here because he knows he’ll be pushed hard to get better. I think he will be a fun player to watch develop.

jmilt7

Waukegan
There seems to be a narrative here that if Ayo stays for year 3 with the Illini Miller won't come. It has been described by some as "a given" even. It has all but taken on a life of its own and that bothers me because I have yet to see anyone provide any evidence to support this narrative, other than circumstantial. Sure, it seems likely, seems logical, but again, I don't see any concrete evidence (unless, of course, I missed it somewhere). In the not too distant past people believed the sun revolved around the earth because, well, all you had to do was look up in the sky, it seemed likely, seemed logical, how could it not, it was a given. So this is actually an opinion supported by suppositions. Hardly "a given". And, of course, there probably will never be any concrete evidence because that would entail Miller actually admitting it and that is unlikely. Also I could have sworn that I read a post by one of our more knowledgable posters that whether Ayo is here or not has no bearing on Miller's decision. I won't mention who that was because unfortunately I could not find the post. So maybe I misread it. Personally, I am not too concerned that Miller may not come here. It would be great of course, but as some others have pointed out, we seem to have good guard play next year with Trent, Curbelo, the two transfers and possibly a grad transfer (or maybe get another JUCO transfer like Feliz). So I would be disappointed but not heartbroken if Miller does not grace the hardwood of the SFC as an Illini. But I do think in the absence of any concrete evidence the whole "Miller is not coming if Ayo is here next year" narrative should be taken with a large dose of salt if not deemphasized altogether.

Last edited:
There seems to be a narrative here that if Ayo stays for year 3 with the Illini Miller won't come. It has been described by some as "a given" even. It has all but taken on a life of its own and that bothers me because I have yet to see anyone provide any evidence to support this narrative, other than circumstantial. Sure, it seems likely, seems logical, but again, I don't see any concrete evidence (unless, of course, I missed it somewhere). In the not too distant past people believed the sun revolved around the earth because, well, all you had to do was look up in the sky, it seemed likely, seemed logical, how could it not, it was a given. So this is actually an opinion supported by suppositions. Hardly "a given". And, of course, there probably will never be any concrete evidence because that would entail Miller actually admitting it and that is unlikely. Also I could have sworn that I read a post by one of our more knowledgable posters that whether Ayo is here or not has no bearing on Miller's decision. I won't mention who that was because unfortunately I could not find the post. So maybe I misread it. Personally, I am not too concerned that Miller may not come here. It would be great of course, but as some others have pointed out, we seem to have good guard play next year with Trent, Curbelo, the two transfers and possibly a grad transfer (or maybe get another JUCO transfer like Feliz). So I would be disappointed but not heartbroken if Miller does not grace the hardwood of the SFC as an Illini. But I do think in the absence of any concrete evidence the whole "Miller is not coming if Ayo is here next year" narrative should be taken with a large dose of salt if not deemphasized altogether.
I appreciate the effort here as I too often fight speculation but this is straight up easy to see. I’m pretty sure Indy has said as much and he’s about the best we have here. Also, if you belonged to a pay site you probably wouldn’t have spent the time making this post.

Concerning that he might be susceptible to rib injuries. Think we dodged a bullet there.

chris duhon

Very good comparision imo, I did notice Namari on some occasions tends to "set" shot it from deep, almost launching it even. He will need to get better with that for P-5 conference play.

Concerning that he might be susceptible to rib injuries. Think we dodged a bullet there.

Duhon not one of my favorites due to the whole rib narrative. But he was a pretty darn good college bball player. Nimari seems to be somewhere between Duhon and Bradley Beal, but closer to Duhon.

Just my thoughts but I'm sure Miller expects to start. Illinois is missing a true point guard. Curbelo would solve that issue. He will start. Trent will start his senior season. Ayo coming back next year with Miller on the team means someone is the 6th man. Who? In that scenario Miller

Ken

chitown
Just my thoughts but I'm sure Miller expects to start. Illinois is missing a true point guard. Curbelo would solve that issue. He will start. Trent will start his senior season. Ayo coming back next year with Miller on the team means someone is the 6th man. Who? In that scenario Miller

Trent becomes the senior 6th man

Status
Not open for further replies.